WDW being forgotten by execs?

DisneyParksFan1

Original Poster
Is WDW being forgotten by the higher ups? It seems like all the attention is being given to Disneyland Resort, when now WDW kind of needs some love from people like John Lasseter and some Tony Baxter etc. Sure, Magic Kingdom is getting this park-wide facade refurb, but what about the internal parts of the attractions, not just that but the quality is slowly getting worse and worse here at WDW. While DL just got this new Snow White refurb that looks spectacular we have all these rides that are looking stale. It was simply saddening seeing those pictures of Small World over at Micechat, that's something that shouldn't be found at a Disney Park, I would expect that from Six Flags or Universal Resort, but not WDW. Cutbacks are of no surprise to WDW'ers like myself either. It's becoming so frequent, that we are almost used to it all. It's almost as if we expect cutbacks and budget cuts, and IMO, that's just not how it should be. I understand that DL was ignored for a long period of time back in the "Disney Decade" days when we got DHS and DAK and a whole bunch of other things but now it's WDW's turn to get some love. DL IMO seems like it can hold up for a few years. What with this DCA Expansion/Re-Imagineering going on, I think once that's finished, the attention should be directed towards WDW. Oh, and TDO needs its own little re-imagineering from ground up as well. I would not be surprised if the people behind TDO were just sitting at an office desk saying ":fork:CUTBACK:fork:!!!" to every single proposal that comes their way.

So anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that DL is good now, it is fixed, now why not go over to WDW and fix our problems.

Grizzly Hall 71

Is WDW being forgotten by the higher ups? It seems like all the attention is being given to Disneyland Resort, when now WDW kind of needs some love from people like John Lasseter and some Tony Baxter etc. Sure, Magic Kingdom is getting this park-wide facade refurb, but what about the internal parts of the attractions, not just that but the quality is slowly getting worse and worse here at WDW. While DL just got this new Snow White refurb that looks spectacular we have all these rides that are looking stale. It was simply saddening seeing those pictures of Small World over at Micechat, that's something that shouldn't be found at a Disney Park, I would expect that from Six Flags or Universal Resort, but not WDW. Cutbacks are of no surprise to WDW'ers like myself either. It's becoming so frequent, that we are almost used to it all. It's almost as if we expect cutbacks and budget cuts, and IMO, that's just not how it should be. I understand that DL was ignored for a long period of time back in the "Disney Decade" days when we got DHS and DAK and a whole bunch of other things but now it's WDW's turn to get some love. DL IMO seems like it can hold up for a few years. What with this DCA Expansion/Re-Imagineering going on, I think once that's finished, the attention should be directed towards WDW. Oh, and TDO needs its own little re-imagineering from ground up as well. I would not be surprised if the people behind TDO were just sitting at an office desk saying ":fork:CUTBACK:fork:!!!" to every single proposal that comes their way.

So anyway, I think what I'm getting at is that DL is good now, it is fixed, now why not go over to WDW and fix our problems.

It seems the execes were alternating between decades 90's for Wdw 2000-2009 was for DL. I think this 2010-2019 decade is for WDW. Here's to the next 10 years for better rides, better experiences, and a 5th Park!!

disney4life2008

It seems the execes were alternating between decades 90's for Wdw 2000-2009 was for DL. I think this 2010-2019 decade is for WDW. Here's to the next 10 years for better rides, better experiences, and a 5th Park!!

I agree! Disneyland has been dramatically improved in the last 10 years. However, WDW needs a extreme makeover. I love it but we need new stuff

DisneyParksFan1

Original Poster

I sure hope so! What with the FLE, Star Tours II, and all these rumors going on about the 40th Anniversary, I think we will start to see some changes with WDW, but I think that will happen after Meg Crofton leaves, and I heard that she renewed her 3-year contract to be president of WDW back in August 2009, so therefore, about 2 more years of this nonsense.

wolf359

I know it's easy to say "oh look at what Disneyland is getting we have nothing" but when you actually add up the number of updates and new attractions at Walt Disney World added in the last ten years it's a pretty lengthy list.

Sure, there's still room for improvement, and I freely admit that not every new or updated attraction satisfied everyone equally, but when so many of the most vocal detractors seem to be implying that nothing has happened property-wide in over a decade I have a hard time swallowing that much hyperbole.

Off the top of my head these have all happened since 2000:

Magic Kingdom:
Updated Pirates of the Caribbean
Updated Haunted Mansion
Updated Small World
Updated Hall of Presidents
Updated Space Mountain
Mickey's Philharmagic
Stitch's Great Escape
Laugh Floor

In the works: new Fantasyland, another Small World update.

Epcot Center:
Updated Spaceship Earth (and the wand came down!)
Updated Living Seas
Updated Mexico boat ride
Updated/new Mexican Cantina
Updated China film
Updated Canada film
Mission:Space
Soarin'
New Italy restaurant

Hollywood Studios:
Updated Muppetvision
Several updates/upgrades to Tower of Terror
Toy Story Mania
American Idol
Lights, Motors, Action

In the works: Star Tours II

Animal Kingdom:
Well, the whole park is only 12 years old...

But the point is, this is Walt Disney World being "forgotten" by management?

Grizzly Hall 71

I know it's easy to say "oh look at what Disneyland is getting we have nothing" but when you actually add up the number of updates and new attractions at Walt Disney World added in the last ten years it's a pretty lengthy list.

Sure, there's still room for improvement, and I freely admit that not every new or updated attraction satisfied everyone equally, but when so many of the most vocal detractors seem to be implying that nothing has happened property-wide in over a decade I have a hard time swallowing that much hyperbole.

Magic Kingdom:
Updated Haunted Mansion
Updated Small World
Updated Space Mountain
Mickey's Philharmagic
Stitch's Great Escape
Laugh Floor

Epcot Center:
Updated Living Seas
Updated Mexico boat ride
Updated China film
Updated Canada film
Soarin'
New Italy restaurant

Hollywood Studios:
Updated Muppetvision
Toy Story Mania
American Idol
Lights, Motors, Action

Animal Kingdom:

I think the OP is trying to say it's quality not quantity. DL is gettning quality while WDW is just getting quantity.

And an updated Living Seas? More like a demolition of it.

TP2000

Magic Kingdom:
Updated Haunted Mansion
Updated Small World
Updated Space Mountain
Mickey's Philharmagic
Stitch's Great Escape
Laugh Floor

Epcot Center:
Updated Living Seas
Updated Mexico boat ride
Updated China film
Updated Canada film
Soarin'
New Italy restaurant

Hollywood Studios:
Updated Muppetvision
Toy Story Mania
American Idol
Lights, Motors, Action

Animal Kingdom:

True, and a nice reminder that there have been some succesful changes at WDW in the last 10 years.

But a similar list, with more new stuff in addition to major updates at existing attractions, could also be pulled together for Disneyland in the last 10 years. And Disneyland has just two parks and three hotels, with a lot more being added to its plate in the next few years than all of WDW has coming to it.

That's what the OP was getting at, I think. It's interesting that Disneyland has had a new President every 3 years for the past decade, while Meg Crofton got a second 3 year term in '09.

wolf359

I think the OP is trying to say it's quality not quantity. DL is gettning quality while WDW is just getting quantity.

I wanted to set value judgments aside for a moment because there's no end to the debate on the success of some of those projects, I'm not a fan of several of them myself, but I still cannot honestly look at that list and see only quantity.

It's just easy (too easy, perhaps) to automatically throw out the baby with the bathwater when trying to make a point. Can things get better? Of course! Are things getting better? I certainly think so. But is it necessary to completely disregard what Disney has achieved, and what successes they have had, just to make a point?

If anyone believes Disney actually cares about what the fans think it's just as important to let them know when they got things right as when they got things wrong, because if the perception is that nothing is going to be good enough, we're actually supporting Disney having a "don't care" attitude.

Aurora's#1Fan

No. Lots of rumors swirling about a Frontierland expansion along with a Tomorrowland re-do for Disneyland, new parade for both DLR and DCA, possible 2nd phase attractions for DCA, DLR Hotel refurb, Snow White, possible Haunted Mansion hatbox ghost, new indy AA, etc etc. It's not " Oh well lets fix DLR 10 years then WDW the next. " It is more like " Hey!!!! Disney executives! We over here at Disneyland want this and this. Can you approve the budget? " Which is exactly what TDA is doing while TDO slowly rolls down the hill. TDO's current motto seems to be Eisners " Build build build! " while TDA is taking the same route OLC took and is still on... quality.

I also think that both parks have their own imagineers? Im not sure and two of DLR's happen to be Tony and Lasseter. Idk i'm just guessing since that is what I heard.

GoofyFan1

I don't think WDW has been completely forgotten...prices are going up in two days so it was nice that they remembered WDW for that:lookaroun

I think you are right Grizzly. It would also be nice if we got something new instead of a rehash of a DLR offering. (Fantasyland rehab aside, I'm sick of princesses)

Grizzly Hall 71

No. Lots of rumors swirling about a Frontierland expansion along with a Tomorrowland re-do for Disneyland, new parade for both DLR and DCA, possible 2nd phase attractions for DCA, DLR Hotel refurb, Snow White, possible Haunted Mansion hatbox ghost, new indy AA, etc etc. It's not " Oh well lets fix DLR 10 years then WDW the next. " It is more like " Hey!!!! Disney executives! We over here at Disneyland want this and this. Can you approve the budget? " Which is exactly what TDA is doing while TDO slowly rolls down the hill. TDO's current motto seems to be Eisners " Build build build! " while TDA is taking the same route OLC took and is still on... quality.

I also think that both parks have their own imagineers? Im not sure and two of DLR's happen to be Tony and Lasseter. Idk i'm just guessing since that is what I heard.
The first few you mentioned were rumors. Not approved. Yet. Mk has had rumors about Frontierland expansion, Austrailia at AK, and Beastly Kingdomme coming. But we don't know for sure yet. I hope TDO does something in this dcae that will make WDW even more fun.

Grizzly Hall 71

I don't think WDW has been completely forgotten...prices are going up in two days so it was nice that they remembered WDW for that:lookaroun

I think you are right Grizzly. It would also be nice if we got something new instead of a rehash of a DLR offering. (Fantasyland rehab aside, I'm sick of princesses)

Me to!!!:fork::fork:

DABIGCHEEZ

An update of an attraction is not a NEW attraction. So Hall of Presidents now has Barrack Obama, or Canada has an updated film... big deal. I think they really need to invest some additional big bucks and to build new unique attractions at WDW(in addition to the FLE). And by that I don't mean keep sending us DLs leftovers.

GoofyFan1

An update of an attraction is not a NEW attraction. So Hall of Presidents now has Barrack Obama, or Canada has an updated film... big deal. I think they really need to invest some additional big bucks and to build new unique attractions at WDW(in addition to the FLE). And by that I don't mean keep sending us DLs leftovers.

Exactly!

David S.

I actually prefer it now! You can still spend hours (and I often do!) looking at the fish in the main tank, the manatees (my favorites!), and all the other animal exhibits. They still do the awesome dolphin and fish feed presentations, and the educational aspect is still there.

But now there's ALSO a cute and whimsical dark ride with lovable characters and a catchy theme song ("Big Blue World"), which are all the ingeredients found in my favorite Disney attractions. This ride is my second favorite in current Epcot and in my opinion, compliments the rest of the pavilion nicely! :)

Tenny317

So I'm wondering if we as a message board community should send a letter of sorts. Sometimes I feel like we sit on this board and rant which is perfectly fine with me no doubt. However, I feel like this is a growing problem for our sort of Disney fans, the problem of not feeling satisfied with quality and attention to our park WDW. Sometimes I feel like they don't care as much because we aren't speaking up enough about it and if groups of people say something it helps. If WalMart can start listening to the masses about green and organic products then my God Disney can start listening to it's crazy, dedicated fans. Just my two cents...who is in?

wolf359

Plenty of people contact Disney all the time, either via email, real letters, or stopping by guest services in the parks. I think Disney probably pays more attention to those individual contacts than some kind of "group showing" from a message board.

It isn't that Disney doesn't hear our prayers, it's that sometimes the answer is still "no."

Grizzly Hall 71

So I'm wondering if we as a message board community should send a letter of sorts. Sometimes I feel like we sit on this board and rant which is perfectly fine with me no doubt. However, I feel like this is a growing problem for our sort of Disney fans, the problem of not feeling satisfied with quality and attention to our park WDW. Sometimes I feel like they don't care as much because we aren't speaking up enough about it and if groups of people say something it helps. If WalMart can start listening to the masses about green and organic products then my God Disney can start listening to it's crazy, dedicated fans. Just my two cents...who is in?

I'm in.

HMF

My opinions added in

Magic Kingdom:
Updated Pirates of the Caribbean-Marketing Move
Updated Haunted Mansion-Great
Updated Small World-Great
Updated Hall of Presidents-Great
Updated Space Mountain-Crap
Mickey's Philharmagic-OK
Stitch's Great Escape-Crap
Laugh Floor-Crap

In the works: new Fantasyland,-under re-vision another Small World update.-Don't know that much

Epcot Center:
Updated Spaceship Earth (and the wand came down!)- Painful new Narration and half baked ending
Updated Living Seas-Crap
Updated Mexico boat ride-Crap
Updated/new Mexican Cantina-Great
Updated China film-Great
Updated Canada film-Crap
Mission:Space-Good' could be better
Soarin'-Good ' could be better
New Italy restaurant-Great

Hollywood Studios:
Updated Muppetvision-Great
Several updates/upgrades to Tower of Terror-Replace the 5th Dimension?:eek:
Toy Story MIDWAY Mania!-Great
American Idol-Crap
Lights, Motors, Action-cannot comment

In the works: Star Tours II-Seem's great

Animal Kingdom:
OK' we have 6 greats' 8 are crap 2' could be better and 1 OK. That isn't that great of a list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom