WDW As The Only Vacation Option: Why?

Ghostdog

We use Disneyland Paris as our base of operations for our European vacations. It’s familiar, easy, and convenient to get to all of Europe from DLP, just walk to the train station from the hotel and in minutes you’re on your way to the airport or directly on your way to another country, we’ve taken day trips to different countries without even packing our bags or checking out of our hotel. A couple hours to Brussels by train, a couple hours to Prague by plane, etc, spend the day sightseeing and back to DLP without ever changing hotels. We’ve also used the lockers at the DLP train station to check our big luggage so we can travel light with just carry ons for longer stays in Italy and England before checking back into a DLP hotel a few days later.

We love WDW and DL but Disneyland Paris is our favorite place in the world because it combines our love of Disney with our love of travel.
Good to know. I’m hoping to someday to a Paris vacation.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
We're DVC members and usually use our points because our oldest is 6 is we don't really want to drag kids around museums or national parks like we likely will they're older. For now Disney works well because we can go inti a bubble and it's easy for kids and parents to have a great time. When we want to go other places we will have the freedom to rent or points and put that money toward other stuff. We still usually do other trips by visiting family from big cities in Texas to the NC mountains. We also take an occasional beach trip with my brother's family and our parents. In time we'll change up routines to go to New York for Broadway, Chicago for some baseball, Europe for different reasons, etc. We recognize we're fortunate to be able to have the experiences we do (in aggregate).

harryk

WDW provides total escapism for my family, especially me. When get there can ignore what is happening around the world for the 5-7 days while there. Still travel within the U.S.A. and cruise the North Atlantic, visit some of the Middle East locations on vacations. But WDW provides the means of getting into unreality. Our DVC membership has proven to be a great investment.

ppete1975

I only go about every 4-5 years so im in the minority. To be honest though i pretty much stick to the united states or maybe canada south america or mexico. I still have a thing about flying several hours over nothing but water lol. Eventually ill see europe but i doubt ill ever do japan or australia (16 hours is too much flying for me)

Michaelson

Be careful with that atomic bomb that was lost out of a bomber in 1958 just off the coast of Tybee Island and has yet to be found. ;)
Well, yea, as well as that sunken auto carrier that's leaking oil all over the beaches....but at least there's some more novelty to the visit than just pristine beaches, good seafood, and Southern charm.:D

Regards! Michaelson

Namaari

My family and I love Disney! I grew up going to WDW every year from age 5 to 13 and got burned out on it as I approached my teen years. I didn't return until 2018 with my husband (it was his first time to WDW) and it was so much fun/different experiencing Disney as an adult and with someone who had never experienced the magic before. We've resumed to going to Disney every year with my family again, but husband and I have also make a point to go on a non-Disney vacay each year as well since we love to travel (Mexico, Switzerland, France, Italy, etc). I agree with previous posters: I love being able to live in the "Disney bubble" and forget about the real world for a couple of weeks, though we'll see how that goes once they roll out Genie+ this fall. It's also a perk to have constant access to attractions and entertainment, most of which are a big nostalgic factor to me.

Raineman

Original Poster
Because it is familiar, comfortable and fun. It feels safe and the entertainment is very basic.
I like WDW for all of those reasons, but I do like to get out of my vacation comfort zone and experience something different/unique. I spent too much of my life not wanting to try new things and go to new places, so once I forced myself to do that, I found that I liked it and wanted to do more. I do have a limit, though-anywhere that is too foreign, or possibly dangerous, will be places that I am not interested in. I am from Canada, and there are still times when we are travelling through the US, and have to engage in something that is done a bit differently than we do it, I get a bit of anxiety because I don't want to look too much like a tourist.

JIMINYCR

Weve done other trip destinations but Disney just grabs us like no other. Theres so much more entertainment and options to fill our days and nights. The fireworks are like none other weve seen. And Disney continues to deliver. I find myself and DW more relaxed on property than other spots weve vacationed at because its so familiar. As mentioned by others, from arrival we are away from the outside world. This feeling isnt found elsewhere. We will continue vacationing other places but WDW takes our prime destination desire. Who knows what the recent changes will do to affect this desire.. we will have to see. I'm definitely not happy with over crowded conditions and having to pay excessively for extras, so Disney may not attract us as they once did.

Greg in TN

Disney was like that absolutely favorite dish that you put on your plate at Thanksgiving. Everything else is really good too, but when you're looking at that 2nd or 3rd trip through the buffet, it's the favorite that you just can't get enough of.

Unfortunately, with all that's going on @ WDW now, I'm feeling I may have developed a "food allergy" to my favorite dish. I'll have to fill up on the rest of the buffet for awhile.

Heppenheimer

I think I've met exactly one person who only vacationed at Disney World, and I think even she has now branched out to other non-Disney destinations. Perhaps there are more "Disney-only" types in the South, where a Disney trip is more convenient? Growing up in the Philadelphia area, the Jersey Shore was a much easier destination, so Disney World and the wider adventure of driving south along the I-95 corridor was something we only attempted every 3-4 years, and I think that was sufficient. There was usually enough change in the parks over that period so that we always had something new to experience, and the old stuff never seemed stale.

And now that I live in northern New England, flying is really the only option... no way in hell I'm driving through Hartford, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, and Richmond traffic on one trip, and that's only half the distance!

The way things are going, I'll probably take a trip back to Europe again (miss it SOOO much) before we go to WDW.

Goofyernmost

I like WDW for all of those reasons, but I do like to get out of my vacation comfort zone and experience something different/unique. I spent too much of my life not wanting to try new things and go to new places, so once I forced myself to do that, I found that I liked it and wanted to do more. I do have a limit, though-anywhere that is too foreign, or possibly dangerous, will be places that I am not interested in. I am from Canada, and there are still times when we are travelling through the US, and have to engage in something that is done a bit differently than we do it, I get a bit of anxiety because I don't want to look too much like a tourist.
So do I and just did a few years ago, my sister and I explored France, Italy and Spain for close to a month with no outside help to figure it all out. We flew to places, took trains to places, (loved the trains) Traversed the cities in subways, boats and on foot. Couldn't speak French, Italian or Spanish, but managed very well. Didn't know anybody but never felt like we were being laughed at or disrespected in any way. I call it our European Death March. Ended with a Trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. That's not something I would do every year, so the gap years were the ones that I felt comfortable with and that included Disney.

Goofyernmost

I think I've met exactly one person who only vacationed at Disney World, and I think even she has now branched out to other non-Disney destinations. Perhaps there are more "Disney-only" types in the South, where a Disney trip is more convenient? Growing up in the Philadelphia area, the Jersey Shore was a much easier destination, so Disney World and the wider adventure of driving south along the I-95 corridor was something we only attempted every 3-4 years, and I think that was sufficient. There was usually enough change in the parks over that period so that we always had something new to experience, and the old stuff never seemed stale.

And now that I live in northern New England, flying is really the only option... no way in hell I'm driving through Hartford, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, and Richmond traffic on one trip, and that's only half the distance!

The way things are going, I'll probably take a trip back to Europe again (miss it SOOO much) before we go to WDW.
Everyone is different I guess, because from 1983 to 2012 I made, at least, yearly road trips from upper Vermont to WDW. I did fly a few times but that was dispersed after 2002 to 2011. It was the go to way to get there for us. Now I live in North Carolina, 2012 to now, and started out going every year, but then, as prices rose and more restrictions were imposed that change to 2 or 3 years apart. Just a 600 mile minor excursion from here.

LovePop

Over the years that I've been on this board, I have gotten the impression that, when it comes to vacations, WDW seems to be the only option for some people. And, now, with the furor over Genie +, some people, who say they visit WDW multiple times a year, are stating that they will not be returning, or not visiting as much, and I get the impression that they don't know what they will do with their vacation time if they are not at WDW. I have asked this question before, but why would you make WDW your ONLY vacation option? I know the love people have for this place, but there are so many other experiences out there, and to intentionally deny yourself of them is doing a disservice to yourself. Even looking at the US alone, there are so many interesting/historical places to, so much natural beauty to see. Then, (pandemic permitting), you have other countries that can offer the same types of things and more. We have been visiting WDW every year to 2 years since 2014-but they aren't the only vacations we take. We love spending a week at an all-inclusive Caribbean beach resort. We've also visited the Orlando area a couple of times, just to rent a vacation home, sit around the pool, and get out to see local places like Kennedy or a spring training game. I would love to someday drive part/all of Route 66. We've been to Nashville a couple of times. We've spent time in Savannah, Georgia, which is an amazing place, especially for history/paranormal buffs. Deciding to stop giving Disney your vacation $, and going somewhere else, will be a blessing in disguise, and maybe widen your horizons and show that a theme park is not the be-all, end-all of vacations.
I live 2000 miles away from WDW. It is my only vacation destination. I don't care if Genie+ is going to charge $$$$, I am not going anywhere else for vacation, ever.

Reasons:

1. Other places are disgusting. Seattle (been there) is too hilly to walk, with lots of garbage and homeless people on the streets. New York city (never been there) is gross and full of crime. I have never seen a show about NYC without seeing somebody getting mugged or molested. In the Disney Channel Show JESSIE, Jessie the nanny took the kids to a subway ride in NYC, and some guy was shaving his head right next to the kids in the crowded subway, and lumps of cut hair was landing all over the kids!
2. National Parks are full of bears, mosquitos, and endless tourists and cars. There's nothing to do there besides walking. (I know because I live right next to a national park.)
3. Europe has disgusting restrooms, incomprehensible languages, huge lines for famous sites. There's nothing in Hawaii except sit on the beach.
4. We used to go on driving trip where you can stop and learn local history. History sucks. It's stuff they teach you at school to keep you busy, and you don't ever remember or care about it when you grow up.

And above all, there's nothing for kids to do. I assure you, they don't want to learn history. They don't want to wait in line to get on Eiffel Tower or the Space Needle or Van Gogh's museum. They don't want to hike endlessly to get to some lake with nothing in it. I don't want to walk among loud traffic in Manhattan while seeing garbage on the streets. And most importantly, I don't want to get mugged.

Here is what you can do in Disney World: you can sit on the white sand beach in Caribbean Beach Resort. You can visit France in Epcot, or Morocco if you prefer. You can watch a giant wave at Typhoon Lagoon, with numerous life guards around. You can ride a gondola for free. You can get a basic history lesson in Spaceship Earth (that's the only history lesson that doesn't bore me.) Everywhere you go, it's scrubbed spotless. You won't run into a homeless guy begging for food (that happened to me). You can take your kids to go on rides, watch parades or fireworks or shows, eat at an interesting restaurant or quick service spot. The fun is endless. Every day there's something to do, and everyday, everybody has fun.

I don't go to Disneyland (been there) or go on Disney Cruises (done that). Disneyland is too much of a dump, and the Disney cruises are too confining, I was stuck on a boat for 3 days. I've been to many other places, including Asia. They all suck. Disney World is the only place to be.

wdwfan4ver

WDW is not my only vacation spot. WDW for me. It is a place that I can escape from the real world although Disney is making it harder.

The Cape Cod of the Midwest is my other vacation spot and I first went there when was little due to late great uncle lived in there during the summer. I enjoy going there as a short getaway from it all.

Robbiem

People fall into two camps when it comes to vacation. Those that like familiarity- revisiting favourite places year in year out and people who love to explore somewhere new. Personally I love visiting new places. Growing up as a family we always did the former because my Dad didn’t like change that much. Around the millennium we changed and ventured further afield and loved the excitement that going to a new place brings. Pre covid I tried to go to at least one new place a year.

My ideal vacation would be a trip to Japan - spend time exploring the country (my favourite place in the world it just touches your soul) visiting new places and end with a few days at TDR before I fly home

Robbiem

We use Disneyland Paris as our base of operations for our European vacations. It’s familiar, easy, and convenient to get to all of Europe from DLP, just walk to the train station from the hotel and in minutes you’re on your way to the airport or directly on your way to another country, we’ve taken day trips to different countries without even packing our bags or checking out of our hotel. A couple hours to Brussels by train, a couple hours to Prague by plane, etc, spend the day sightseeing and back to DLP without ever changing hotels. We’ve also used the lockers at the DLP train station to check our big luggage so we can travel light with just carry ons for longer stays in Italy and England before checking back into a DLP hotel a few days later.

We love WDW and DL but Disneyland Paris is our favorite place in the world because it combines our love of Disney with our love of travel.

Thats a really interesting idea. I wouldn’t have thought of using DLP as a base but it makes sense afterall the reason for its location is how close it is to lots of other places you could easily visit other places in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, German, Luxembourg and even the UK as a day trip😀

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom