WDW and Service Dogs

Nubs70

Original Poster
Would he qualify?
20141208_195028.jpg

Nubs70

Original Poster
What is sad is that yes you (or anyone with any dog) can have your dog registered as a service dog for one low price. Breed, age, sex does not matter and they have to be able to fly for free and can live and go anywhere that is even pet restricted.

http://usdogregistry.org/
You have hit the nail on the head. After researching service dog registration, I learned I could have him officially registered and could use him since I do qualify for a portion of the ADA. But who could honestly think someone would take a 165lb service dog into the parks?

JIMINYCR

Yes... fill out the form, send in your money. No verification of training or ability required. Unfortunately another way people can scam the public and allow unscrupulous people to take advantage of a failure to ensure
service dogs are really service dogs. Those who have a real need for a service dog and do it the right way right are the ones hurt by this.

Tom

Beta Return
You have hit the nail on the head. After researching service dog registration, I learned I could have him officially registered and could use him since I do qualify for a portion of the ADA. But who could honestly think someone would take a 165lb service dog into the parks?

Right, while he might offer good companionship at home, he's certainly not the best animal to be taking into very public places, and definitely not to a theme park. Animals are not permitted on any rides, so therapy dogs don't tend to work well in the parks anyway, unless you have a dedicated handler with you to keep the dog while you enjoy attractions.

gsimpson

Like most things ADA, it has been taken to the extreme. I'm involved with a public transit agency and we have a couple folks who have "service boaconstrictors" that they wear around their necks and torsos and we have to let them take them onboard our vehicles. Usually we can tell when they get on because all of the other riders exit the train when they get on.

Victor Kelly

Being able to qualify myself, unless absolutely necessary I would not take the cuddle bug (I know he is :) ) He would probably be too hot. While I would love a service dog, and my regular dogs provides for me, I leave him at home. As Tom said, there are many issues with service dogs to prepare for. They cannot go on rides, they will need to be comfortable with both all the noise, people and especially heat.

My opinion is to get a trained animal. They are the best option. If not needed, let them relax at home.

PhilharMagician

Yes. Thankfully you are thinking about the dogs comfort and safety as well as the others around you. While there is a real need for service dogs for many people, there are many more that take advantage of the open availability to be able to register Fido just because he is a member of the family and should be able to go anywhere. This misuse will at some point make it difficult for people that truly need a service animal.

I stepped in dog crap a few years ago in MK so this is not one of my favorite subjects.

BTW Beautiful dog.

Phonedave

Actually there is a difference between a service animal and a companion animal.

A service animal goes everywhere, a companion (emotional support) animal (which is what these websites offer to register your pet as) is only permitted in transportation and in housing situations. Nobody likes to make waves or risk litigation, so they tend to let them go anywhere though.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

JohnD

Chapter 413.08(1)(d), (3), (4), Florida Statutes

"(d) “Service animal” means an animal that is trained to perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The tasks may include, but are not limited to, guiding a person who is visually impaired or blind, alerting a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, or performing other special tasks. A service animal is not a pet."
(3) An individual with a disability has the right to be accompanied by a service animal in all areas of a public accommodation that the public or customers are normally permitted to occupy.
(a) Documentation that the service animal is trained is not a precondition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if an animal is a service animal or what tasks the animal has been trained to perform in order to determine the difference between a service animal and a pet.
(b) A public accommodation may not impose a deposit or surcharge on an individual with a disability as a precondition to permitting a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if a deposit is routinely required for pets.
(c) An individual with a disability is liable for damage caused by a service animal if it is the regular policy and practice of the public accommodation to charge nondisabled persons for damages caused by their pets.
(d) The care or supervision of a service animal is the responsibility of the individual owner. A public accommodation is not required to provide care or food or a special location for the service animal or assistance with removing animal excrement.
(e) A public accommodation may exclude or remove any animal from the premises, including a service animal, if the animal’s behavior poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others. Allergies and fear of animals are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to an individual with a service animal. If a service animal is excluded or removed for being a direct threat to others, the public accommodation must provide the individual with a disability the option of continuing access to the public accommodation without having the service animal on the premises.
(4) Any person, firm, or corporation, or the agent of any person, firm, or corporation, who denies or interferes with admittance to, or enjoyment of, a public accommodation or otherwise interferes with the rights of an individual with a disability or the trainer of a service animal while engaged in the training of such an animal pursuant to subsection (8), commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom