WDW and Me - A History

I was thinking last night, this could be a fun (or extremely boring) thread. There's a lot of negativity on the boards, much coming from me. But I thought I'd start a happy little thread about my history with WDW, and how I fell in love with it. Feel free to ask questions, or post your own auto-biography.

1986. My first trip. At the time, there was obviously just the Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center. I went my with mother, step-father and 2 sisters. I was 10 years old. We stayed for 4 nights at the Quality Inn on International Drive.
Quality_Inn_Plaza_Hotel_Orlando.jpg

We spent 2 days at the Magic Kingdom and 1 day at Epcot. We had a great time. I remember being too scared to ride Space Mountain, and Thunder Mountain was closed. I met Mickey for the 1st time. He was walking out from backstage. I went up to him to give him a hug, and he basically pushed me away. Amazing I still love the rodent. Anyways, I had fun and obviously looked forward to going back, but that was about all. It was also my first time on an airplane, so that was pretty exciting.

1990. My second trip. I was 14, and I went with my Dad, step-mother, sister and 2nd cousin and his wife. We stayed at the Fortune Place Resort in Kissimmee.
50734_1_b.jpg

This was the first trip I rode both Thunder and Space Mountain. It was also the first trip that Disney-MGM Studios was open. We stayed for 7 nights. We spent 5 days at WDW. This was the trip I became obsessed with WDW. I remember getting home from that trip I was extremely depressed. For about 2 years, I would sit and look through the pictures of the Disney Pictorial Souvenir book, wishing I was still there, and praying someone would take me back.
51SPQP3FzmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would also frequently look at my 5 day passport longing to be back.
lightbox
1530717170_b07382b012.jpg

It was a really weird time for me. I always thought of WDW and how much I missed it. I remember walking to school and I had to cross these train tracks. Every day, I would look at them and think of Thunder Mountain. Looking back at it, it was very odd that at that age I felt this way.
Skip ahead 6 years to 1996. I've just turned 20. My best friend calls me in early February and says that he's going to WDW with his parents next month, and they're allowing him to bring a friend of his. I jump at the chance, as all I have to pay for is my ticket and spending money. I save all my money from my $5.00 per hour retail job and we go. It's my 1st time staying on site. We stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort.
4842008561_0d0701ce1b.jpg

I immediately fall in love with staying on-site, and realize, I'll never stay off-site in any other trips. We have a great time. We also visit Universal Studios which has just opened.
The following year, I make my first trip with just my friends. We stay at All Star Sports in the tennis section.
SANY0291.JPG

By this time, I'm completely in love with WDW, and every trip for the next few years after will be with different friends, and we always stay at what will become my favorite resort at the time, All Star Movies.
All-Star-Movies-Resort.jpg

I have a nice streak of being able to go for about 5 straight years. Then, I run into some money problems. I'm now living in an apartment where rent is expensive, and I have to take about a 4 year break from WDW. I'm watching planning videos all the time to remind me of WDW. In November 2003, I meet a girl, who I would marry 18 months later. As it tuns out, she's a big WDW fan as well. We take our 1st trip together in January of 2004, and stay at ASMovies. In September of 2004, we take our 2nd trip together, and our first with her son who is 4 at the time, and stay at 3 different resorts - ASMovies, Old Key West (first time renting DVC points) and Pop Century.
Disneys-Pop-Century-Resort.jpg
PC is a last minute decision to stay 1 extra night, as this was during the hurricane that the parks were closed for about 3 days. In May 2005, we get married at the Polynesian.
2897873140_03f4382780.jpg

Sadly, we're still kind of low on cash, so our honeymoon is spent at Pop Century. We take our annual summer trip in 2006, again staying at Pop Century. We welcome our twin boys in February 2007. We make our first trip with the twins in June of 2007, and stay at Port Orleans Riverside for just 4 nights.
20963482.jpg

We have a great time as always. In December of 2007, we have our first Deluxe stay, at what will become my favorite resort, the Wilderness Lodge.
WildernessLodgePic.jpg

Also my first time seeing WDW with Christmas decorations up. In the next 5 years, we have been fortunate enough to go twice per year and stay at some of the most beautiful resorts on property.
IMG_3268%25255B1%25255D.JPG
sign.jpg
disney-yacht-club-overview.jpg
Boardwalk-Resort48.jpg
8805_3_b.jpg
And next July, we'll be spending our first trip at the Beach Club Villas.

Well, that's about it. A little photographic memoir of me and WDW. Hope you enjoyed this stroll down memory lane as I have.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Thanks. Not my pics, but it gets the point across. I guess I just wanted to share a bit of my history and love for the place. As much as I gripe about certain things TDO does, there's a method to the madness. With the exception of my family, there is nothing else I truly love more than Walt Disney World. And I suppose that's why I'm so hard on it. It's like watching your kids do something wrong, and just wanting what's best for them. Odd analogy I know, but that's how deep of a passion I truly have for this place.

PolynesianPrincess

Great trip down memory lane. I just stumbled across some photo albums at my mom's house containing pics from our early trips. I'll have to scan those and make my own little memoirs of Disney. :)

Great thread idea! Was just thinking a few days ago that it would be fun to start a thread to share the first time we got hooked on the Magic. So it happened for me on my 2nd trip. I was 12 and had just finished 6th grade. My dad's cousin belonged to DVC so she got us a two bedroom villa at Old Key West (Disney Vacation Club Resort) at the time. It was June 1994 and my Dad's cousin, her husband, their two girls, me, my sister, and my parents all went to Disney for my sister's 1st trip. We had the best week. We ate at 1-2 full service restaurants everyday such as CRT, 50's Cafe, and The Brown Derby. I loved everything about the trip and bought tons of souvenirs. I silently spent all of high school hoping, praying, & wishing we could go back, but I knew my parents couldn't afford it. Well I was married at 17 and had my son by 18, so sadly Disney would wait a lil longer. Then I started nursing school with only one goal in mind, graduating ASAP and taking my son on his first trip. Finally, October 1994 I had been working almost a year and had vacation time. My husband and I took our then 4 yr old to Disney World for a 7 night stay at AKL. Ever since we average going every other year, except this year we live on our 2nd trip in 2012 in about 29 days. Staying at AoA for my 3 yr old DD's 3rd trip and my 12 yr old DS's 6th trip.

DisneyDebNJ

Thanks. Not my pics, but it gets the point across. I guess I just wanted to share a bit of my history and love for the place. As much as I gripe about certain things TDO does, there's a method to the madness. With the exception of my family, there is nothing else I truly love more than Walt Disney World. And I suppose that's why I'm so hard on it. It's like watching your kids do something wrong, and just wanting what's best for them. Odd analogy I know, but that's how deep of a passion I truly have for this place.
Awesome memories Captain and well written. I totally understand where you're coming from. We all have gripes even though some dont realize it however, the love for Disney, and the (dare I say) magical feeling we get while there, just cant be compared to anything else or can it.... Yes, its the closest feeling to being a kid on Christmas morning, any adult or true Disney lover can have :)

alawrence

Great Idea!!! Very well written. I can understand the feeling disappointed at times, and comparing it with the tough love of a child. Great to see the emotion and positiveness as well. It does help understanding the "negativity" that we can all portray at times. Like your children, you just want what is best for them. Congrats on a great thread Captain!

Tinkerbella16

This is an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing! I love reading and seeing pics of WDW and tickets from back in the day. We kept all of our hopper passes from over the years in an album and its amazing to see the price back then for 3 parks! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom