WDW Airport

Lofatrules

[.

Disney also couldn't build their own airport even if they wanted to. It would be a major airway disruption to build another commercial airport so close to an international airport. They'd only be allowed to fly in small aircraft, which would serve no purpose at all. [/B][/QUOTE]

Although I agree that Disney will not build an airport on there property I dont' think your airway disruption theory will really hold much weight considering up here in NY/NJ area three of the ten busiest commercial airports in the world are within 20 miles of each other not too mention about ten other large interational airports within one hundred miles. Granted MCO is a busy airport but Newark is busier and JFK and Laguardia are about equal.

spagmoid

Account Suspended
An airport was part of the original design for WDW before Epcot was built, possibly even before that. Look at the bottom of this drawing. Looks like it was to be below either 192 or 536, can't tell which.

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 103

spagmoid

Account Suspended
Also interesting is this model for the original Disney Village, which includes monorails going all over the place.
The huge monorail platform at Epcot was built that way for a reason - there were supposed to be 2 tracks there. Cutbacks always screw things up.. when a plan is approved they should stick to it. Makes me wonder what Test Track would be like if they hadn't cut the budget in half.

Attachments

• disney village - concept model2.jpg
    disney village - concept model2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 108

Pioneer Hall

There is no chance that Disney will ever get their own airport. The monorail expansion is a possibility but I doubt that too. Eventually we will see the parks connected to the TTC. But how soon is the question.

Invero

As a Disney Transport cast member and Monorail Pilot... I can assure you that there is NO current plans to expand the monorail. At all. Nope. Sorry. Not gonna happen. :(

There are many reasons for this... the first being that it would be too costly. A recent study showed that a possible monorail expansion would cost approximatly $800-900 million... and we all know nothing runs on budget, so you can figure about $1 billion... That's a LOT of money, especially for a non-revenue generating department, and not even Disney could afford that right now -- even if we could, it would seriously affect the stocks... and Im sure all you stockholders wouldn't like that.

The second reason, and to me, the most logical reason is Feasibility. I know we all love the Monorail... no one loves them more than myself. However, when you really think about it... the way Disney is set up, it just wouldn't work.

For starters, the layout of the system would be so complex, one would have to switch trains once or twice to get to thier desired location. We have a hard enough time getting Guests to switch trains at the TTC to go to Epcot from the MK.

All day long, I hear, "Does this go to Epcot? Switch? Huh? You mean I have to Switch trains??? Why isn't there a direct train??" I can't imagine trying to tell a guest to go here, switch, go there, switch, and all that. It'd be a hassle to the guests, and it'd be time consuming. A bus on the other hand can provide quick and direct transportation from a resort to a theme park.

The second part... crowds. If you notice at Disney, you'll see a mass influx of people to the MK at 9am, for example. And then things will steady off... a lil slow in the afternoon... and then when the park closes, *BAM* you've got tens of thousands of people all exiting the park at once. With monorails... we can only have so many trains running... and they have to be on a set route... Busses are flexible. You can route busses to wherever you need them most, and add more as crowds increase.

The best way to illustrate my point would be to visit the Grand Floridian at 930am on Saturday. My platform will be jam packed ,and the train will arrive already filled from the Contemporary and Polynesian guests. I'm lucky if I get half my guests on the train. It's not fair to them that they can't board the train. If I ask to hold a car... I get guests at the Polynesian who complain they have to stand when there's an empty car.

Now... as with all 13 year old mechanical items... they are prone to failure, even with great maintenance teams. That's just a fact of life... our trains will break down every so often. They're 13 years old. There's nothing majorly wrong with them, and they dont need to be replaced. But when a train dies... the whole system can go down, because unlike roads, the trains can't pass each other. Busses on the other hand, can be easily dispatched to replace one that has broken down.

Okay... so... don't get me wrong... once again, I love my Monorails... and I'm not saying busses are great... but in this situation they are cheaper, faster, flexible, and sometimes more efficient than monorails.

As for the trains and what IS going on... I can tell you that right now we are in the process of having them repainted. Coral was just completed around Christmas, and now Black is back being sanded down. Also in the next few years, we are in the process of upgrading some of the trains systems and components... Can't really say much more than that...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Airports

The major flaw with consructing an airport on site would be the impact on existing flight paths. To land at Orlando you have to cut across the aproaches of Samford this affects traffic entering and departing both fields as they have to be kept apart. they are also kept clear of built up areas where possible. To add another possible hazard makes the whole plan very unlikely. Maybe its years of living near Heatrow but Orlando looks like it has plenty of spare capacity to me, so why build a third underused airport.
More trams would be nice but if Disney wants to be more Eco friendly why dosent someone pay a visit to Sweden and see how there buses work with modified exhaust systems.

zonguy

Originally posted by spagmoid
An airport was part of the original design for WDW before Epcot was built, possibly even before that. Look at the bottom of this drawing. Looks like it was to be below either 192 or 536, can't tell which.

That is just south of 192. The field is still mostly unused, but there is a small access road that has been built through it. I have seen light traffic on it, but have never had the time to investigate.

Lance

Originally posted by spagmoid

Thank You Spagmoid, that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post. I knew I saw an aiport somewhere on Walt's drawing. So as I said, it was planned by Walt.

spagmoid

Account Suspended
Ya the plans are so cool, I wish I could get my hands on some higher res versions. What EPCOT was going to be would have been incredible. Epcot the park is still amazing, but EPCOT could have changed the world.

Very interesting about the monorails.

Kman613757

There is an Airstrip in WDW

Actually there is an Airstrip on property. It's not in use anymore and hasn't since the park opened. This may be the "Airport" on the map. Though it's just an airstrip and nothing more. Walt Disney himself used to use the airstrip to survey the land to figure out what should go where. As far as I know it's still there and could be used in an emergency. It's for small planes of coarse. You can see the plane that he used at Disney-MGM Studios Backlot tour. I'm sure you could ask a tour guide there and confirm this.
Kman613757

Monorail Lime

DBF John:

First of all, it appears you are getting rid of the teardrop through EPCOT. This is totally unacceptable. :)

I'm not sure exactly what is going on south of Epcot... the red line seems to be Epcot resort area and MGM and the inner green line is Animal Kingdom area, but what is the point of the outer green line? Express from Epcot to AK? That's a bunch of extra track and would be pretty confusing at the Epcot station.

My idea is keeping the current Epcot line as is but expand the station to support additional lines. Have a line running out to the east that goes Epcot, Key West, Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney. A southwest line would go Epcot, Boardwalk (& Y&B), MGM, Blizzard Beach, DAK. It would be a huge mess to try to hit EVERY resort so I think this is a pretty clean solution.

spagmoid

Account Suspended
The airstrip is to the right of the MK entrance after you go in, but that doesn't really count.

Main Street: There are a few on some of the many Disney sites.. sorry I don't remember where exactly.

Disney4648

No , why .... beuase MCO Orlando Intl Airport and Stanford Regional Airport are quite busy and can handle passengers going to WDW. Also, three airports in Orlando would not be allowed by the FAA or the comapnies who supply the permits to start the airport construction.

So the answer is NO@@@@!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom