WDW Advice for Experienced Visitor But First Time With a Kid

SteamboatJoe

My wife and I are taking our 4 1/2 y.o. daughter on her first Disney (WDW) trip right after Thanksgiving. My wife and I both have been to WDW numerous times as kids and went together in 2015 (honeymoon-Coronado) and pre-Pandora 2017 (Port Orleans Riverside) but we haven't been to any Disney park since before COVID and this is our first time with a child. We also went to Disneyland in 2018 prior to having a kid.

Back in 2015 and 2017, we knew the parks, extra magic hours, dining reservations, and FP+ well and had established strategies, especially for MK. Obviously a lot has changed since our last trip and its a first time for our current dynamic.

I will provide details below, but, in short, I am looking for advice of how to go about touring WDW and each park with a pre-schooler who has never been before, especially the order of lands/attractions. Any other relevant tips are also welcome.

Details:

-Trip date = 11/27 - 12/5 (5 park days - 2 at MK and 1 each at the other - and 2 rest days, no water parks or any other non-Disney parks/attractions)

-Resort = Pop Century

-Park reservations are done - we will not be in a park on the day of arrival or the day of departure

-We aren't doing any of the special ticket events - our park reservations have been set up to work around them (ex: not going to MK on a party date)

-We have character dining reservations for 'Ohana, Artist's Point, Topolino's, and Crystal Palace

-Daughter is tall enough for most rides with the exception of Expedition Everest and the like

-Daughter likes rides and will probably be willing to ride anything she can get on as she does rides at our local Cedar Fair park without issue, including a junior roller coaster. That said we probably won't take her on Cosmic Rewind.

-Daughter likes the princesses well enough - wears their dresses for playtime (Elsa is #1) and has dolls but isn't fixated or obsessed with them. She usually tends to watch the non-princess CGI films although she recently has had an affinity for the seven dwarfs.

-Daughter enjoys character meet and greets

-Getting up early isn't an issue - daughter is used to getting up at 6:15 AM for daycare

-We don't plan on park hopping

-We will probably have a stroller of some sort - hopefully the smaller, lighter one

-Leaning towards not buying Genie+ or Lightning Lane - hoping we can avoid the need with some planning (and luck)

-We don't plan on going back to the room for nap as we are transitioning out of them and it would eat up too much time. Will try to take a break in relatively quieter spots during the afternoons.

-We plan on watching the nightime spectaculars at each park that has one as well as Festival of Fantasy and the new MK Frozen holiday show. Unfortunately, due to time and attention restraints, we probably won't plan on watching the Candlelight Processional.

-Not doing any special events, tours, or the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

-Historically our pre-kid MK plan of attack was to rope drop extra magic hours and generally tour clockwise starting in Adventureland knowing there would be plenty of time to enjoy the castle and wander Main Street later - easy to do when you've seen and done them before. I suspect it will be hard for our daughter to not go to the castle first. Subsequent MK days during previous trips, which were a little longer, were more relaxed and spontaneous.

-Our pre-kid plan of attack at other parks was less defined and more driven by EMH offerings and FP+ reservations

-Our daughter's experience will come first but the wife and I would like to see and do the stuff thats been added since our last trip to the greatest extent possible....TRON, Cosmic Rewind, Remy, Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, and Pandora. We know rider swap is an option for the intense rides but don't know much about how it works.

-We will probably spend the rest days resort hopping, swimming (weather permitting), and going to Disney Springs

Happy to provide additional details if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

How fun!! Since you’re doing MK twice, you might consider doing one of those days on a “party day”, only because it tends to be way less crowded those days and you can get a ton of attractions done. But totally get fireworks and the nighttime ambience!

Definitely get a “passport” at Epcot and collect the stamps at each country. Doing all the kidcot stations (honestly don’t know if they’ve brought them all back). This is my oldest DS favorite park and he loved it from when he was very young!

The shows are so awesome at AK. If the Dino dog site is open, we found that was a great place for the kids to burn off energy, and frankly for us to rest! Maybe Rafiki’s watch?

HS has changed so much from when we took our kids at 4yrs so don’t have a lot of advice.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Ok, first and foremost, try to take her endurance and moods into account as the day goes on. Obviously, you guys know her better than anyone as to how much she can take in one day.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! One of you go into MK and get a spot to take her photo the first time she sees Cinderella Castle…you will cherish that photo FOREVER!!!

When you go to AK, spend lots of time looking at the animals, take the train to the Conservation Station and the petting zoo. Also, don’t forget FotLK.

My DW and I miss those days to see the magic in their eyes. Have an awesome trip, and CHERISH IT!!! She’ll be asking for the car keys before you blink!

Upvote 0

erstwo

Your trip description took me back 15-ish years. We went just about the same dates and stayed at the same hotel with my then 4.5 year old and 2 year old in 2008. I think we paid less than $100 a night for POP back then! o_O

I can tell you that 15 years later - I don't remember how we toured the parks, but I remember the joy of being in the parks with them. We just always took it slow and went at their pace. I also remember them wearing their Christmas pajamas hanging Christmas window clings to our hotel room window. I'm going to have to find those pictures now! That was the sweetest trip.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

OP, the other thing I would suggest is to bring your Christmas Santa hats down and take some pictures in front of Cinderella castle as well as other key places on property…they make awesome Christmas cards…Santa hats and shorts!! Lol

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
How fun!! Since you’re doing MK twice, you might consider doing one of those days on a “party day”, only because it tends to be way less crowded those days and you can get a ton of attractions done. But totally get fireworks and the nighttime ambience!

Definitely get a “passport” at Epcot and collect the stamps at each country. Doing all the kidcot stations (honestly don’t know if they’ve brought them all back). This is my oldest DS favorite park and he loved it from when he was very young!

The shows are so awesome at AK. If the Dino dog site is open, we found that was a great place for the kids to burn off energy, and frankly for us to rest! Maybe Rafiki’s watch?

HS has changed so much from when we took our kids at 4yrs so don’t have a lot of advice.
Going on a party date crossed our minds but we had a hard time paying full price for fewer park hours. I think if this wasn't our first time going in a while or first time with a kid, we would've strongly considered it.

Thanks for the reminder about the "passport". Our daughter will definitely love doing that.

Dino Dig and Planet Watch are great suggestions. We may have overlooked Dino Dig as its not something we paid attention too when we went without kids previously. I am definitely going to make a list of some of these types of areas in each park.

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Ok, first and foremost, try to take her endurance and moods into account as the day goes on. Obviously, you guys know her better than anyone as to how much she can take in one day.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! One of you go into MK and get a spot to take her photo the first time she sees Cinderella Castle…you will cherish that photo FOREVER!!!

When you go to AK, spend lots of time looking at the animals, take the train to the Conservation Station and the petting zoo. Also, don’t forget FotLK.

My DW and I miss those days to see the magic in their eyes. Have an awesome trip, and CHERISH IT!!! She’ll be asking for the car keys before you blink!
I think keeping that in mind and modifying expecations and plans accordingly is going to be the biggest challenge for us. My wife and I were hardcore when we went together....rope drop to park closing every day, doing just about everything. There were nights we'd get like 5 hours of sleep. Obviously not going to be the case with a pre-schooler.

Love the MK photo idea. Will definitely have to do that.

The AK animal trails may provide an opportunity to unwind and perhaps even a little nap that day. She definitely will love FotLK.

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
Your trip description took me back 15-ish years. We went just about the same dates and stayed at the same hotel with my then 4.5 year old and 2 year old in 2008. I think we paid less than $100 a night for POP back then! o_O

I can tell you that 15 years later - I don't remember how we toured the parks, but I remember the joy of being in the parks with them. We just always took it slow and went at their pace. I also remember them wearing their Christmas pajamas hanging Christmas window clings to our hotel room window. I'm going to have to find those pictures now! That was the sweetest trip.
Glad I could trigger some happy memories for you. That's what it's all about.

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

Going on a party date crossed our minds but we had a hard time paying full price for fewer park hours. I think if this wasn't our first time going in a while or first time with a kid, we would've strongly considered it.

Thanks for the reminder about the "passport". Our daughter will definitely love doing that.

Dino Dig and Planet Watch are great suggestions. We may have overlooked Dino Dig as its not something we paid attention too when we went without kids previously. I am definitely going to make a list of some of these types of areas in each park.

I just got back from my trip with my 14month grandson and 5 year old nephew. We did 2 days at Magic Kingdom. One day was a non-party day and we stayed until fireworks were done. The park was PACKED that day. Like Pirates and Jungle Cruise were 2+ hours by 10am. It was absolutely insane. (We did do some rides after the fireworks... the kids were troopers... and we got on in less than 10 min). The second day at Magic Kingdom was a party day. We got there at rope drop and left at 5pm. The crowds were significantly smaller. We were able to ride so many more rides that day. That day, even though we couldn't stay for the fireworks, was a much more enjoyable day. I think our longest line was 30ish minutes for Big Thunder. Don't discount going to MK on a party day. The lighter crowds made it so much better with the kids and getting to bed a little earlier didn't hurt either.

I also agree on the Dino Dig at AK. We spent time there while doing rider swap. The kids both really enjoyed the unstructured time and getting to just run.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom