WDW, a blank check and your imagination

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
Original Poster
This thought experiment has probably been posed 1000 times before but I figured that it would be interesting to see what folks could come up with these days. Regardless of how you feel about Disney mgmt or TDO, I'd like to see positive/constructive/imaginative responses.

With that said, imagine that you worked for WDW and were told that the board had approved one project with a blank check to fix/improve one thing @ WDW. No restrictions, no limitations. What would you do?

While I like the PotC ride, I think that so much more could be done to incorporate the immensely popular movie series and make it more the "E-ticket ride" that folks covet. I also think that TSI is a very under-utilized location in the park. In order to fix two things with one project, what I would do is reinvent PotC using the current TSI location (yes, I know that it doesn't go with the theme in that part of the park.....let's look past that). I would also use the MS model and have a green and orange version of the attraction. The green version of the ride would be very similar to the existing ride (for those that want to enjoy the "classic" attraction and so that kids and older folks can still go on it). The orange version would be much more of an intense ride and be themed more closely to the movies. I'd task WDI to come up with a vehicle that could be both a boat and for the orange ride, something that could be run on a roller coaster. The queues for the ride would be where the present TSI landing and Riverboat landings are located. The lower part of TSI could be redone be as Port Royal. The upper part could be made into Tortuga. The currently undeveloped land (aside from the MK railroad and cheesy Native American scene) to the north of the island could be made into Isla de Muerta or Pelegosto. Both the green and orange version of the attraction would go through the island for their dark elements. The more intense, roller coaster type aspects of the orange ride would have to be done on the newly developed area to the north of the island. After riding the attraction, both the orange and green would dump their guests onto the island. They would be able to explore both cities (Pirates League could also be relocated here). A sturdy suspension bridge would be built to connect guests back to the "main land" of MK (no more waiting and waiting to get a boat). The bridge would also allow guests to explore the two PotC cities and Pirates League without having to ride the attraction. Of course all of this would mean that the riverboats would not be able to circle the island any more but I think it would not break too many hearts if they were relocated to rides of Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Once completed, the old location of PotC could then be transformed into yet another thrilling dark ride.

That's what I would do. How about you?

tarin24u

I would do so much more with DHS. I would add rides that incorporate CARS, Beauty and the Beast, Princess and the Frog... I would also do something with AK in terms of Bambi and Winnie the Pooh. Animal Kingdom should include a nod to the 100 Acre Woods.

tarjaybuff

I would improve Hollywood Studios

I think it would be really neat to create a PIXAR area in HS with a roller coaster themed after the doors in Monster Inc. They could also have a dark ride for Princess and the Frog where you go through the swamps and it can end with a giant Mardis Gras party. I would also like an area with photo opps with all of the different heroes from the Incredibles. There would also be attractions devoted to CARS, NEMO, UP, and Bugs Life.

Clever Name

I would do the same thing Walt Disney did except update it for the modern era. I would expand the monorail and my version of WED would be the exclusive contractor. I would charge the shareholders on a cost plus basis just as Walt Disney did when he built Disneyland. I would make a fortune for myself at the expense of the shareholders just like Walt! Of course I’d have to take special care to avoid all the conflicts of interest in which Walt got involved.

I'd fix the Yeti too. :wave:

Scuttle

I would do so much more with DHS. I would add rides that incorporate CARS, Beauty and the Beast, Princess and the Frog... I would also do something with AK in terms of Bambi and Winnie the Pooh. Animal Kingdom should include a nod to the 100 Acre Woods.

Completely agree about Bambi at AK!

TinkerBelle8878

To start I would probably address the mess that is Future World in Epcot.

Clear out the shrubs and see what can be put into the WOL pavillion. With that kind of Dome shaped building, a weather pavillion would be interesting. Or go back to the 'Health' idea and retheme the pavillion as the Exercise and Nutrition pavillion. Go to work on bringing back Kitchen Kabaret, with a few slight show tweaks to bring it into modern times without turning it into Food Rocks. Come up with some kind of ride that works off of bike power, the faster you pedal the faster the ride goes or slower.

Once that's up and running, gut Journey and work on updating the upstairs imageworks, and a new ride with Figment and Dreamfinder that echos the tone of the original but wouldn't be an exact replica. But has the same feel and love put into it.

I've always felt that Test Track is fun but it kind of would go perfectly hand in hand with the World of Motion. The history of transportation and then how a car makes it to the public. So finding a way to have both coexist in that area.

A new film for Soarin that deals with the the East Coast.

Building a version of what the future can be with a new variation of Horizons.

Doing something with the end of Spaceship Earth.

Redoing Universe of Energy to focus on hydroelectric power, wind power, and solar power.

After Future World is back up to par, I'd tackle DHS. Divide it into mini Lands like MK and AK. Pixar Studios, Muppet Studios, Grand Old Hollywood (Great Movie Ride, Main Street, ToT), Lucas Land (Indy, Star Tours). Build more rides for all ages and families to go on together (No more coasters) to help the rush to Toy Story Mania. I'd love to put a variation of DL's Indy ride in. I'm sure there's more that can be done with Star Wars too to flesh that land out.

Muppet Studios of course would go back to the original plans and add some restaurants. Pixar would have to get attractions with the Monsters Inc. characters and possibly leave room for newer attractions with new films.

I've just given these matters alot of thought because to me they stand out as the biggest park issues.

If we're not just talking about the parks themselves, I'd get rid of all of this minute by minute planning nonsense and 180 day reservations for places to eat. First come, first serve. I'd like to make the food prices reflect what the food should actually cost instead of the largely inflated prices to make the DDP look like a good deal. The best way to do this is to get rid of the DDP. Lower the rates on the hotels and if a park is doing major construction or refurb, where many of the attractions are closed, consider that 'off season' and give those guests ticket and hotel discounts.

I'd like to halt the DVC constructions too. I think that TDO is trying to cram way too many people onto the property and into the parks. Their only solution now is to offer the reservations and Xpass to counteract it.

TP2000

I've got just a few bullet points;

• Monorail expansion to DHS, DAK, Downtown Disney, and all Deluxe Resorts
  • Cars Land added to DHS
  • Three new E Tickets, a half dozen C/D Tickets, and a new Steve Davison parade added to Magic Kingdom to get it up to Disneyland standards
  • Australia and South America added to DAK, adding four E Tickets and a half dozen C/D Ticket attractions
  • Disneyland-style Fantasmic rehab and a new Steve Davison parade for DHS
  • Russia, Chile, India, New Zealand added to World Showcase
  • Chevron takes over Energy Pavilion and gets $100 Million upgrade, Apple takes over Imagination Pavilion and gets $100 Million upgrade

I think that ought to do it. :cool:

tarin24u

Cars Land added to DHS

Australia and South America added to DAK

Russia, Chile, India, New Zealand added to World Showcase

Apple takes over Imagination Pavilion and gets $100 Million upgrade

Great suggestions :)
I have had conversations with people about Apple and Disney! I think that would be an incredible pairing. I think that there are lots of promising things in Disney's future and I'm excited to see what comes next :animwink:

TinkerBelle8878

Apple takes over Imagination Pavilion and gets $100 Million upgrade

Great suggestions :)
I have had conversations with people about Apple and Disney! I think that would be an incredible pairing. I think that there are lots of promising things in Disney's future and I'm excited to see what comes next :animwink:

I hope this never happens. I'm not an Apple fan (after an experience with their products and customer service that was extremely lacking) and I think inserting them into the parks will be a disaster. I realize that Pixar is a division of some sort of Apple, and this is their only saving grace in my mind.

I can just see Imagination going down constantly because of some glitch in the system that they insisted was implemented and them denying there's an issue and not doing anything to fix it.

Bob

Bo0bi3$
Premium Member
Original Poster
I hope this never happens. I'm not an Apple fan (after an experience with their products and customer service that was extremely lacking) and I think inserting them into the parks will be a disaster. I realize that Pixar is a division of some sort of Apple, and this is their only saving grace in my mind.

I can just see Imagination going down constantly because of some glitch in the system that they insisted was implemented and them denying there's an issue and not doing anything to fix it.

I am on the same page as this. I think that a much better technology partner for the Imagination pavilion would be Google. They are investing heavily in new technologies and always seem to be trying to invent new things. That would be a perfect place for them to demo Google Glasses or show off the technology that they are using to try and make cars drive themselves. They seem to always have some new idea so there would be no worry about the content ever becoming stale or antiquated.

TinkerBelle8878

That's my girl! Who cares what it costs or what people say, we, discerning Disney purists, will all be there and we'll worship you for all eternity. :sohappy:

There's something to be said about the way it was and why it's remembered so fondly. It was my favorite park. I always liked the omnimover rides and so these were just longer ones than MK had. Horizons was my favorite above all. I loved Figment no matter how long or short the line was for that ride. Its sad going back and seeing what its all become.

Count another vote for that use of the blank check.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom