WDI to WED ?

MickeyTigg

It better make more sense than being symbolic...with all the costs of signage changes, letterhead changes, etc. It would cost millions of dollars to make the symbolic change, so there better be more to it than that.

Buford

ThreeCircles said:
Ya think?

First mentioned on JHM on May 15: http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/05/15/2379.aspx

Mentioned on this so-called "professional" site on May 18:
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

You didn't really think these people were Disney animators, did you? :lol:
yeah, it's been up on Jim Hill for several days now....

though it seems that many of the writers/supporters listed on the blog are Pixar story artists according to their profiles and personal blogs - some very good artwork can be found there.

Buford

HauntedPirate said:
My impression was that the decision to make the change has already been made, and it's going to happen.
curious to see the graphics on the imagineering blog......

notice the very last line.... (C) WDC..... :lookaroun

WDI2.0.jpg

(although I would find it strange to see Disney actually acknowledging that the magic was "lost." Perhaps the graphic doesn't technically say "Walt Disney Company," but something else....)

My guess is that it's a digital artist's wishful version of: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/185/2303/1600/WDI1.0.jpg

GoofMaul

I understand peoples want for nostalgia to go back to "the good old days", but the good old days aren't always what we remember them to be. Ever watch an old movie that you loved as a kid? Sometimes, those movies don't hold the wonder they did back then.

Related to the actual costs of rebranding another reason for not doing it is the intangible costs as well. What I mean is go up to the average Disney guest and ask them what WDI is as opposed to WED and more people will know WDI. "Walt Disney Imagineer" is easier to say than "Walt Elias Disney Imagineer". The brand is "Walt Disney" and you have the "Walt Disney Company", "Walt Disney World", and in some cases the use of just "Disney" such as "Disneyland", the "Disney Channel", but these are things that people recognize. "Walt Disney Imagineering" fits in with this theming. IMO, WED does not and doesn't make sense with the branding.

I also believe the current name, WDI, commands a lot of respect and awe to many people not just the super fans on this site. The change of a name when you have that kind of good will doesn't make sense and in most cases a change in name usually signifies the opposite. That the company or department changing its name is known as having problems, think ValueJet (now AirTran) and Firestone (parent company BridgeStone contemplated rebranding or stopping the tire line all together)

Tim G

Woody13 said:
WED was Walt's "honey pot". It was his private company and he used it to overcharge the Disney shareholders for services rendered. If they use the WED name again, it will only symbolize Walt's greed. :wave:
And private Play Ground... WED was Walt's Idea
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]While Walt was alive, Imagineering was insulated from much financial scrutiny.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Roy Disney, the company's CFO and Walt's older brother, is said to have set foot in Imagineering exactly once. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Two of Walt's favorite mantras were "You can't put a price tag on creativity" and "If we lose our customers, it'll cost us twice as much to get them back."[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It wasn't that the Imagineers operated without budgetary constraints; Walt often suggested ways to work more frugally. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But after his death, WED was turned into WDI and became just another part of the company, one with a reputation for missing deadlines and exceeding cost estimates. [/FONT]
But a name change isn't up to "the great JL" but to Iger, Goodman and don't forget... the shareholders...

MuRkErY

Original Poster
But a name change isn't up to "the great JL" but to Iger, Goodman and don't forget... the shareholders...

Yep.

The only thing is though with Steve Jobs now as majority shareholder, and Iger as CEO, it seems JL has quite a bit of power. Considering how much it seems Iger and Jobs listen to JL.

Would you be in favour of the change Corrus ?

Tim G

MuRkErY said:
Yep.

The only thing is though with Steve Jobs now as majority shareholder, and Iger as CEO, it seems JL has quite a bit of power. Considering how much it seems Iger and Jobs listen to JL.

Would you be in favour of the change Corrus ?
The biggest SINGLE shareholder...

JL was just hired. to push Disney Feature Animation :D...

Hey! think it sounds nice btw... JL...

So after JR there's now JL... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

ssidiouss@mac.c

JL pwns @LL!!!!111

Bringing back the original dreamfinder in JII is a stroke of genius!!!!
I also like the idea of changing the WDI name to signify the new creative renaissance..
I can't wait to see what is unleashed in this new era.. no more ride clones, etc.. wooHOO!

Let the JL ERA BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Woody13

Corrus said:
And private Play Ground... WED was Walt's Idea
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]While Walt was alive, Imagineering was insulated from much financial scrutiny.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Roy Disney, the company's CFO and Walt's older brother, is said to have set foot in Imagineering exactly once. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Two of Walt's favorite mantras were "You can't put a price tag on creativity" and "If we lose our customers, it'll cost us twice as much to get them back."[/FONT]

...don't forget... the shareholders...
Prior to 1941, Walt and Roy were the total owners of the company (with heavy debts to lenders). When they went public (i.e. sold stock) Walt and Roy no longer were the sole owners of the company. After 1941, Walt never had much stock in the company that bore his name (Walt Disney Productions).

However, he created WED to build Disneyland and Walt owned that company by himself. Roy didn't own a dime of WED!

WED contracts to build attractions were enormous, because all the profits went into uncle Walt's pockets (not the Disney stockholders). In 1959 Walt was forced to admit his greed. Walt Disney sold part of his personal Disneyland holdings to Walt Disney Productions as “recompense for his independent work in developing the concept of Disneyland.”

In other words, he cheated the shareholders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom