WDFA to close! What a kick in the pants

Sherm00

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
I love how everyone writes or assumes that today's audience prefers computer 3D animation over traditional 2D animation. The real focus needs to be on the fact the 2D animation movies haven't had as great of story lines and magic as the 3D, that is the true reason of the difference between the two. As for me, I prefer the look of 2D over 3D(not that I don't like 3D). Just don't state the reason that 2D is losing because of 3Ds modern technology---that just isn't the reason.

Yes story is key, but they need to push the envelope. all 3d isn't the answer either. it must be an artistic experience brining in the best of each world. Look at beauty and the beast dance sequence, back when it was done computer animation wasn't near where it is today, and when I tell someone that it's computer animation they say i'm kidding them. thats the detail i feel thats lacking from the pixar films, and those details that are slowly showing up in other companies such as the movies of sinbad (dreamworks) and shrek 2. i mean there are some video games, that have graphics comparible to pixar movies. remember when snow white was being done I think they had less then 50 employees and the technologies needed to make the movie didn't exist. much like star wars, the technology to make that movie in it's time also didn't exist. the point is they pushed the envelope of technology to tell the story. you still need to capture the audiance and bring them into the story in order to be effective.

Maerj

This is no surprise to me at all. I warned everyone here before Brother Bear came out that if the film wasn't a big hit that you would see the end of 2D animation from Disney(at least for a long time.) I recall people dismissing the warning saying that Disney would never do it, that its their 'bread and butter.'

All that's going to be left is the television animation division and WDFA in California. And most of the animation coming out of CA is going to be computer generated.

Brother Bear is doing okay at the box office, if it started doing better, well it might help the situation. There is only on traditional animated film left, coming out in April. That is Home on the Range. Maybe...MAYBE if that film does well Disney might reconsider their decision.

KevinPage

Original Poster
Disney more than likely had decided this well in advance of Brother Bear and Home on the Range. Pre production on a animated movie takes 1-3 years, and with nothing else in the "pipe" to start now IF a movie does good is terribly short sighted. Because a movie does good NOW, doesn't mean another one will be in 3 years, when it finally gets released.

I think it's the industry trying to leech onto a HOT new trend. Thankfully the trend will probably die a faster death than they think, when the novelty of a CG movie wears off and animation comes back into style.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I hate Jim Hill's articles. Sure, they're somewhat entertaining to read, but him trying to make people believe what he says makes him a jerk. Everything he says is most of the time not true, such as "I guarantee Revenge of the Mummy will have ONE inversion". Alas, this is not true. That's just one example. And that's why I barely check that site anymore.

With the good, long rehab the Animation tour just got, I definitely wouldn't expect it to close.

mac388

Actually, the Orlando Sentinel just had an article saying that Disney was re-evaluating their involvement in 2D animation since Brother Bear was so successful. They also talked about how the Orlando studio has put out better features than California.
I as well am worried that Roy Disney sold so much of his stock....I don't even want to think about why he did that!

mac388

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
I love how everyone writes or assumes that today's audience prefers computer 3D animation over traditional 2D animation. The real focus needs to be on the fact the 2D animation movies haven't had as great of story lines and magic as the 3D, that is the true reason of the difference between the two. As for me, I prefer the look of 2D over 3D(not that I don't like 3D). Just don't state the reason that 2D is losing because of 3Ds modern technology---that just isn't the reason.

I COMPLETELY agree with this. I think that John Lasseter is pretty much the next Walt Disney (if you don't agree, see if you can get ahold of his interview with ABC), and comes up with some fantastic ideas.
If 2D were out and 3D were in, then kids wouldn't like things like South Park, Spongebob, and Lilo and Stich or Brother Bear.
I teach fourth grade, and the thing they always talk about with movies is jokes or the story. They never say to me "Hey, I really loved that Nemo's colors were so vibrant and the underwater scenes were spectacular because of CGI!"

wishiwere@wdw

Originally posted by mac388
I as well am worried that Roy Disney sold so much of his stock....I don't even want to think about why he did that!

Thats exactly my bigger concern here. This has sale or merger written all over it. It's also about the only thing I have ever agreed with Jim Hill about.

Between the sports francises, Disney Stores, mods to the animation tour @ MGM, Roy Disney selling out, etc...., they are trying to rid themselve of the extra bloat to look more attractive in a sale or merger. Simple business tatics.

I hope I'm wrong.

TURKEY

Originally posted by wishiwere@wdw
Thats exactly my bigger concern here. This has sale or merger written all over it. It's also about the only thing I have ever agreed with Jim Hill about.

Between the sports francises, Disney Stores, mods to the animation tour @ MGM, Roy Disney selling out, etc...., they are trying to rid themselve of the extra bloat to look more attractive in a sale or merger. Simple business tatics.

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't see Disney being bought or merging with anyone. The media giants can't get much bigger as it is.

I think it's more of just getting rid of things that don't work. Disney expanded so fast and into things that it doesn't really know. I think it's more of a get back to doing what we do best.

Sherm00

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I don't see Disney being bought or merging with anyone. The media giants can't get much bigger as it is.

I think it's more of just getting rid of things that don't work. Disney expanded so fast and into things that it doesn't really know. I think it's more of a get back to doing what we do best.

Very true, in the past 22 years the company doubled it's size without really thinking about what it's going to do with it all. my guess if there is going to be a merger it would be the jim henson company. just my hunch. anyway i read an article on the motley fool that disney is looking up, check it out herehttp://www.fool.com/News/mft/2003/mft03112103.htm?source=mpmftlist

It's been a long time coming but it seems as if Disney (NYSE: DIS) is taking mouse steps in the right direction. With fourth-quarter operating profits more than doubling to $0.20 a share on $7 billion in revenue, it was a healthy close to a year that produced $1.9 billion in free cash flow with the promise of more pixie dust to come in fiscal 2004.

It's worth noting that the only Disney segment not to produce double-digit percentage gains in operating income during the quarter was the theme parks division. As the steady cash cow that typically has to carry the rest of the company, it's refreshing to see Disney make healthy gains in its studio and consumer products segments for a change.

so something is starting to go right and maybe we are just not seeing the big picture.

Sherm00

Originally posted by O I Sleep
If disney goes all 3D, then ill will start crediting Pixar, and not Disney.

another theory of mine, i don't think it will be entirely 3D, a combination... maybe, I just think they will leverage the tools of the computer to tell stories. we forget a computer can do 2D just as well. there are tons of things they can do. what erks me is when people hear "computer" they automaticially assume 3D. i point out look at movies like Aladdin, the Cave of wonder, Beauty and the beast dance sequance, (though not disney) Sinbad, some of those backgrounds were rendered, Lion King the stampede sequence, it would have taken years to draw all those animals and get each fram right and to make changes. I just hope disney uses the technology wisely and not do all 3D, a mix, 2D multiscrolling backgrounds and sprits, or a technique completely new that we haven't even heard of yet. I like 3d animation, and I think that Finding nemo would not have the same feel if it were hand drawn.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by O I Sleep
If disney goes all 3D, then ill will start crediting Pixar, and not Disney.

If it decides it's going to be in 3D only then they will throw pixar out of the deal and start creating 3D on their own!

It makes no sence letting another company do your job!

CTXRover

Originally posted by turkey leg boy

That is exactly what I think too. Not too long ago, Disney wasn't even the size of company it is now and they ventured into several new areas of entertainment that they really had never been involved in prior (ex: A TV station, Sports teams, massive global retail, internet search engine (remember the Go! network?) etc.). Getting rid of the baggage that hasn't worked and getting back to what made them one of the top entertainment companies should be applauded. Why keep around stuff that continuosly loses money? I don't support the closing of the Florida animation studio, but selling off money-losing sports teams and selling the Disney stores to a high-end retailer to sell "higher-class" Disney stuff seems like a smart idea to me.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by DisneyFan 2000
If it decides it's going to be in 3D only then they will throw pixar out of the deal and start creating 3D on their own!

It makes no sence letting another company do your job!

It depends on what they consider their job. Most companies now pay other companies to run their security, cleaning, facilities maintenance etc etc. Outworking is in vogue in many firms so maybe Disney are just following the pack.

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
It depends on what they consider their job. Most companies now pay other companies to run their security, cleaning, facilities maintenance etc etc. Outworking is in vogue in many firms so maybe Disney are just following the pack.

Yes, true, but if they decide creating 3D films only and still depend on pixar so there main talent (drawing) won't be used anymore...

So where's the use of disney?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I was always led to believe that the best 3D artists were also highly skilled in conventional animation. If Disney move the goal posts to follow a fashionable trend their should still be the skills available when the 3D novelty wears off.

If 3d graphics was the B all why do gamers still play platform games. Its the story not the medium that counts, perhaps they should be putting resources into writers not large pools of animators on multiple sites.

WWWDD??

What Would Walt Disney Do? Why abandon the style of drawing that made a company? Dinosaur was a break away and was a decent film. The vast majority of the Disney animation films were an enormous success. This kind of worries me from a fan's standpoint and as an employee.

I think that Pixar will eventually produce a flop just like every other movie company. That's why I think they will enter into another longer deal with Disney. Also, I think that is why 2D will have a revival, especially when they get another magical story like Lion King, Beauty, or Mermaid. Even Walt realized that not every movie was going to be a success, and so he said he always had to keep something in the works. Hopefully, Disney will wise up and stop slashing their animation to prevent a total lack of production which would crush the company. They really need to put a major push and focus on story creation to set up another series of sucesses like they had with Mermaid to Lion King. But to stop all production will be a disaster!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom