Wdding Dress

natalie22

Original Poster
Hi all,

As a long time lurker (I'm not much of a poster), I have a wedding question for you experienced brides and shoppers. I don't live in the USA but due to lack of appropiate shops here, I have decided to buy my dress in the USA (Miami to be exact). The biggest question is: where to go? As I will only travel to the USA once in September (it's expensive enough as it is), I'm looking for (helpful and well orientated) shops where I can find a dress-to-go. Alterations can be done here, so that's not my problem, but it would be a real problem if the shop would have to order the dress and I can't try it on and take it with me. Can someone advise me as I am absolutely clueless :hammer:Thank you so much!!!

And to make this thread somewhat WDW related (sorry), YIPPIE, for our honeymoon I have finally managed to convince my husband-to-be to go to WDW! It will be his first time ever, and I am so happy I can finally show him the magic! Only 11 months to go... :lol: :lookaroun :lol:

stalkingmickey

David's Bridal. :wave:

They have a website. You should be able to check out locations from there. They have a ton of different dresses. You buy it right then and take it home, unless they have to order your size. Their prices are great. If you are not looking for a famous designer dress David's Bridal is a great place to start.

I tried on 10 dresses and was ready to give up when I put on the last dress I knew it was what I was looking for. Be patient and try on all different styles, you'll be suprised at what you think you like and what it actually looks like on a person.

Congrats and Good Luck. :animwink:

I don't have any experience in this, but as most of my friends are getting married, one site has come up repeatedly.

http://theknot.com has links to local stuff - under the section "In Your Area" it has dress shops. Look under Florida, and there are links to different things. You may need to sign up, but since you're getting married, the wedding planning stuff may be useful :shrug: (Just the observations of the only un-hitched girl of the lot)

Whatever you choose - you'll look lovely! Best of luck, and congratulations :)

J_Krafty24

Most bridal shops have one dress for each style. The can range from very small to very big. If they happen to have the size and style that you want than you can buy it then and there (usually for a discounted price) though most of the sample dresses I saw had visible signs of wear (make-up stains, fraying, streached/ripped parts from size 14 people trying on a size 10 dress, etc). Usually once you pick out your style and find your size it needs to be ordered. Maybe they could have it shipped to you? David's Bridal is a good place to start but they do not have as high of quality of material or fashion as other places. Although their prices are much better and may or may not want to spend big bucks on a dress that you only wear once.

Another note on David's Bridal for anyone thinking of going there. DO NOT give them your phone number or make sure that they understand you do not want unsoliticed sales calls from them or any of their partners. I've recieved about a dozen calls because of going there many even after I've told them to not call again (I know, I should have reported them but I was at work at the time and didn't think to get the necessary information until after I hang up being that I was in a hurry to get off the phone). In fact the most reacent call went something like this "Hello, Ms Kraft? I know that you told us not to call but we just wanted to call anyway and make sure you have everything you needed for your upcoming wedding." I was PO'ed.

ErickainPA

David's will have a dress in your size in stock and as you said if you need a few alterations, can get them at home. I got a dress from David's and it was almost perfect. We lived in CA at the time and by the time of the wedding we moved to WA State, so about 2 weeks before the wedding went to a local seamstress in WA and she took the shoulders in for me and advised me what not to get done to the dress, cost me only $35 and the dress was done in 3 days.

Congratulations

stalkingmickey

Another note on David's Bridal for anyone thinking of going there. DO NOT give them your phone number or make sure that they understand you do not want unsoliticed sales calls from them or any of their partners. I've recieved about a dozen calls because of going there many even after I've told them to not call again (I know, I should have reported them but I was at work at the time and didn't think to get the necessary information until after I hang up being that I was in a hurry to get off the phone). In fact the most reacent call went something like this "Hello, Ms Kraft? I know that you told us not to call but we just wanted to call anyway and make sure you have everything you needed for your upcoming wedding." I was PO'ed.

I never received any sales calls from David's or any one else associated with them. I was very happy with the service I received. Their seamstress had to design her own bussell for the back of my dress due to the train. It was beautiful and one of a kind bussell.

David's will have a dress in your size in stock and as you said if you need a few alterations, can get them at home. I got a dress from David's and it was almost perfect. We lived in CA at the time and by the time of the wedding we moved to WA State, so about 2 weeks before the wedding went to a local seamstress in WA and she took the shoulders in for me and advised me what not to get done to the dress, cost me only $35 and the dress was done in 3 days.

Congratulations

This is exactly why I suggested Davids.:animwink: As an above post said most bridal shops have a limited amout of sizes, but not Davids. They have a huge selection of sizes from you tiny 3 and 4 to your more roomy size 16. If they happen to not have your size in the dress you want, they will have a size close for you to atleast get the idea of the dress. David actually doesn;t keep your dress when you buy it, they make oyu take it home. They don't have the room and they do not want the liability.

At least check them out on-line they have a pretty good web-site.

ErickainPA

I loved being able to shop that day (didn't make an appt at 1 I went to, was checking a size of a style I saw that the other David's didn't happen to have in close to my size, ended up back at the first David's actually getting the 1st dress I tried on because I loved it) and getting to take it home with you. My dress, I was fortunate that no one tried it on, so wasn't stretched or anything, it had just come into the store that week. If you are going Labor Day weekend (not sure of the exact date you said you were going in Sept) they have $50-200 off dresses. I went during their $99 dress sale (the dresses there were all pretty warn and small to boot) and they always have a certain amount off dresses during that sale, depending on the starting price you can get a discount. My dress was $100 off.

Definitely go to David's you will be amazed at the selection, best to call them as soon as you get in, so you can make an appt to come in, since they usually want appts, that way helps the salespeople not have so many people to deal with at once.

Also, when I was shopping I wanted long sleeves, ended up getting an off the shoulder instead. I realized why I didn't want the long sleeves. They were way too long and that would mean another alteration, which would have lead to having to have the sleeves totally removed to move them up to the proper place for my arms. I wanted to have minimum alterations done, with little to no cutting of the actual dress. I was able to get the elastic for the arms taken in some on my dress and the sleeves she was able to just sew back some so I didn't look like I had wings. I asked about raising the dress a little and the seamstress said, she would actually have to take the entire skirt off the dress (7 layers total with 3 top layers of organza, as the bottom had satin and beadwork) and raise it at the waist. Not only would that have been $$$$ but also a lot of work. So really make sure the dress you are getting fits pretty well, so you can get minimum alterations (I know some people that bought off the rack, wanted a ton of alterations and they could have spent the same amount or less just having a custom made dress from someone)

Maria

Hi, last November, my friends and I went on a trip to Miami to buy one of my friend's wedding dress. I didn´t have the chance to go with her because I arrived later on that week, but they went to Coral Gables to a street called "The Miracle Mile" which is famous for its bridal shops. Everybody goes there to get dresses!
Here is the list of stores and some of my clients at work have recommended me "Leggenda Bridals" - I think my friend bought her dress there too. I have heard that after you go in and out from bridal shops on that street, you will end up buying there because the dresses are prettier. ;)
Check it out: http://www.shopcoralgables.com/channels.cfm?channelcat=1

Good luck and congrats! :)

shoppingnut

When we went to buy my sister's dress many years ago, we went to all the places around and in NYC. We ended up buying her dress in David's Bridal. Since my sister is the perfect size 8, the only alteration she needed was to have the elastic by the sleeve taken in a bit as it was loose.

Maria

One more thing:
My friend was getting married in January 6th and we went to Miami for Thanksgiving! She is very petitte so the dress had to be altered. They rushed to do it and have it ready in 5 days (considering the holidays in the middle) so she was able to take it with her when we came back home.
If you are going only once, make sure there is no holiday in between so the stores are open on regular hours. :)

Dagger

The Knot is one of the greatest resources for a bride... I loved it.

Personally, after going through 100s of "favorites" and actually buying about 5 different dresses..and reselling them, my off the rack gown (Jessica McClintock special ocassion dress) was basically my dream dress (halter, ivory, pickups, pink, lace, sash) and it cost me $300 brand new on eBay. My veil was $50 and used, from one of the girls on the knot.

Everyone is different though. Whether you want a simple destination wedding dress or a princess ballgown, I wouldn't want to travel with it. I hope you find all the resources you need to have the best day possible! Maybe you want to consider a wedding planner?

1561746625_l-1.jpg

shoppingnut

I made my sister's headpiece from two roses she wanted cut off the main dress. We went and bought the headpiece form she liked and I unrolled the roses so they were just fabric, strung pearls on three wires and braided them for the base of the piece and added veiling. The headpiece cost about $15.

natalie22

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your replies! :kiss: It's great to see there are so many helpful and experienced dress shoppers on this site. :lol:

have you tried anything internet sites for shops in the area???

You know, I actually did, but you can't imagine how hard it was for someone who's not from the states and doesn't know anything or anyone. There are so many wedding shops there! And I've never heard of anyone of them. So how to know where to go? Simple, ask your fellow Disney fans :ROFLOL:

stalkingmickey, Sailor Mouse, J_Krafty24, ErickainPA and Maria, thank you so much for your tips. I've never heard of David's, but I'll definately check it out. And who knew you have to make appointments beforehand! Not me...
Is just a day enough, or are we talking about weeks in advance? Oh, and we'll be going Sept. 27-30. Any holidays in that time that I'm not aware of?

Ah, so much to learn wedding wise, so little time left (just under a year) :lol:

Dagger: Beautiful dress! You look just like a princess. I do hope, however, that I can do with just one dress instead of buying 5 :D Oh, and we're actually considering a wedding planner, but he (yes, a guy) doesn't do the dress, just the party. Should be good!

One final THANK YOU to all of you!

Love, Natalie

mpoppins76

The Knot is one of the greatest resources for a bride... I loved it.

Personally, after going through 100s of "favorites" and actually buying about 5 different dresses..and reselling them, my off the rack gown (Jessica McClintock special ocassion dress) was basically my dream dress (halter, ivory, pickups, pink, lace, sash) and it cost me $300 brand new on eBay. My veil was $50 and used, from one of the girls on the knot.

Everyone is different though. Whether you want a simple destination wedding dress or a princess ballgown, I wouldn't want to travel with it. I hope you find all the resources you need to have the best day possible! Maybe you want to consider a wedding planner?

1561746625_l-1.jpg
$300?!! :eek: Wow, it's gorgeous!!!!!

ErickainPA

Natalie - I went 1 day and pretty much knew I found the dress I wanted, since David's has so many styles to choose from. I wasted my time with a local boutique and didn't see a single thing I like. It took me 2 trips to David's because I had to drive an hour to the other one and by the time I was done, the first David's was closing.

stalkingmickey

th_mern268.jpg
This is a pictue of the bussell that David's created for my dress

th_mern324.jpg
A full view of the bacl of the dress

th_176.jpg
This is the dress I bought at Daivds believe it or not it only cost $800.00

This is the link to davids website. http://www.davidsbridal.com/index.jsp
They prefer you make an appointment, but you can just walk in. If you walk in you may have to wait if all consultants are busy.

I've know people who bought several dresses before their wedding:eek: . I was lucky I found this dress over a year before the date and loved it then and never looked at another dress. A year goes by in a flash. We will be in Disney on 9/3 for 1 year anniversary:sohappy:

stalkingmickey

Please let us know where you ended up getting your dress and post photos if you can. I had my mom take pictures when I went and tried on all the dresses. I looked at the photos a million times before my wedding.

Again Good Luck

Maria

Hi again Nathalie,

Another one of my friends just came back from Miami from the Miracle Mile. I don´t know many details but the dress she loved was not on her size so she decided to have it ordered instead of having the bigger one altered.
She is getting married on Dec.23rd and she will pick up her dress in Dec. 10th when it arrives. I don´t think I would have the stomach to do that... I would pick one that I can take with me!

I would suggest you to make appointments at least for the first day you'll be there.

Good luck!! ...and please let us know how it went!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom