Ways of saving for Disney

Phonedave

Yeah, I've seen that critique of the "Latte Factor" before, and I get it. What I was getting at is that the target audience for this type of material is people who think they've already cut out everything but the essentials, and are still unable to make ends meet. Evidently when people in this situation seek help, perhaps in the form of independent debt counseling or through their creditors, it turns out that they are still spending on the unnecessary little things that make them happy.

So in other words, if that $20/week at Starbucks makes you happy, then fine if you can afford it. And if you can't pay your other bills, then you can't afford it.

Yeah, If you are that close where $20 is going to make or break you, then you need to take a hard look at your expenditures. It is not going to be easy to get back is such a case. It's not longer a latte factor type situation, but more of an EVERYTHING factor.

-dave

tizzo

I can't believe I forgot this one, because it contributes the vast majority of our Disney AP renewal every year, but . . . credit cards. We carry only credit cards with no annual fee that provide some kind of reward, and we use them for absolutely everything we can.

This is of course not for everyone. If you don't have the discipline to pay off your entire balance, on time, every single month, you shouldn't carry a credit card at all. It's also worth noting that recent federal regulatory changes to credit cards are making the business less profitable for card issuers, and they're compensating in part by reigning in their reward programs. For now though it's still not hard to find cards that will give you something back and not charge you an annual fee.

joannecasey

I generally save all of my change. Being Canadian this can really add up with our loonies ($1) and toonies ($2). I also stash any $5 bills I can. We also have a feature on our bank accounts that rounds our purchases up to the nearest dollar (or 5) and puts the difference in our savings account. I also try and save any extra birthday or gift money I get, and try to exchange our money into American when the exchange is quite high as it is now.

I love that feature on your bank account that round up your purchases and puts the difference in your savings account .. what a great idea ! I will have to look in to that to see if RBC does something similar ! It must really add up over time !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom