Water Parks: Umm...I don't think so!!

wdwcp98

Its also really hard to guard at River Country due to the fact that the water is not clear. Guards have a hard time seeing in to the water to make sure no one is hurt or floundering. And although the water there is treated, its still part of the lake, and you don't ever want to go swimming inthe lake. There are signs up warning you of the dangers (although some people don't seem to pay attention to that).

TURKEY

Both parks were closed by about 10 am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Today I drove by BB around 9:15 and the parking lot was nearly full and security had just arrived to get ready to start routing traffic.

General Grizz

I was at Blizzard Beach yesterday...VERY crowded! The line for the Slusher Gusher was over thirty minutes at 10:30...I couldn't even think about Summit Plummet.

space42

Originally posted by wdwcp98
Its also really hard to guard at River Country due to the fact that the water is not clear. Guards have a hard time seeing in to the water to make sure no one is hurt or floundering. And although the water there is treated, its still part of the lake, and you don't ever want to go swimming inthe lake. There are signs up warning you of the dangers (although some people don't seem to pay attention to that).

River Country is NOT a part of Bay Lake. It is a seperate treated 'pool' with a spillway that spills into Bay Lake. You can see the spillway here.
http://www.disneypix.com/Recreation/River/2001a/River0505-02.htm

According to Disney, River Country is closed due to lower demand and they could open it again if the demand returns. This came from a PR person at Disney and was printed in one of the Orlando news papers about a year ago.

niteobsrvr

In late 1975, construction began on the first "mini" theme park opened at the Walt Disney World Resort. River Country, a Disney version of an old-fashioned swimming hole, rests on the edge of Bay Lake in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. It features flume and raft rides, a nature trail, and a large beach. This park gets its water supply from an intake/filter pipe in Bay Lake. Water is sent along the lake bottom into a pump system located inside River Country’s artificial mountain. From there it is forced down the flume troughs at about 8,500 gallons per minute, providing water for the flumes, and continually replenishing River Country’s water supply. A large rubber "bladder" separates the park’s water from regular lake water, with the help of a sensor system that keeps it inflated exactly six inches above the lake. Excess water from River Country spills over the bladder, replenishing Bay Lake. River Country opened in June 1976.

This is a pretty accurate description of how it works. Notice the mention of filtering. There is however no mention of treating although adding cholrine would not suprise me. That is still relatively different from treated water like comes out of home faucet.

wdwcp98

Ok, just want to point out 2 things. 1. Just b/c a PR person says something does not make it entirely true. I am a PR person and I know this first hand. Part of the PR job is to carefully construct the messaging of a given situation to make it sound however the PR team wants it to sound to the public. and 2. the water that replenishes the "pools" of RC does come from Bay Lake. It may be filtered and cleaned, but it does come from there.

djmatthews

I have to agree with wdwcp98 - PR personel are employed to constantly paint a postive image of a company/product etc. They are not going to say bad stuff, and will often put a positive, but no so accrurate spin on the truth.

frank71

Hello,

I thought I heard rumors about an aztec themed water park planned for WDW near Caribbean Beach Resort.

It sounds like it is needed.

Frank

djmatthews

I remember on the Disney Future website there being speculation about another water park, I think it would be great, I love the water parks, I'm wondering if the people that have been tured away are going off-site to Water Mania and Wet'n'Wild?

I'm in waterparks so I will share what I know.

According to WP (waterpark) management River Country was closed for several reasons.

1. Capacity - Typhoon Lagoons capacity is 6500, Blizzard is around 8000, River Country was about 1500

2. Admission - Because of the fewer number of attractions at River Country the cost of admission was half as much (16.50 I believe) as the other parks. Why have guests go there when they can pay 31.75 at another water park.

3. Costs - Because of the low admission it was expensive to staff and supply the merchandise and food service locations and life guards.

4. Maintenance - Built in the 70's many elements of River Country were begining to crumble and would have required millions to repair. Slides were sinking, pipes corroding, and wooden elements were rotted out. Management would rather spend that money elsewhere.

5. Handicap accessibility - River Country was no where near any ADA standards.

You can read into this what you will but I believe it was closed for a combination of all of these reasons.

Management does acknowledge that they need to increase waterpark capacity during the peak summer season. While plans for a 3rd water park exist dont plan on them being implemented anytime soon. A large expansion for Typhoon has been planned out and is awaiting budget approval (we hoped for last year, but maybe this year). The expansion would allow Typhoon to equal the capacity of Blizzard. This would allow at least an addition 1500 people each day. Since Typhoon seldom capacity closes for more than an hour or two this 1500 should provide all the capacity needed to prevent guests from being turned away from both parks.

djmatthews

Thanks for that OnWithTheShow. I just hate to see things at WDW stood doing nothing e.g. RC, 20,000, Sky Way stations.... its such a waste!

EmeraldDolphin

...... if the water parks are closed because they're full, is this to WDW resort guests also, that arrive by WDW bus?? that would be a bummer...

I think the idea of a 3rd water park sounds good too! The Aztec theme sounds pretty cool...

I would never head off property to Wet n Wild or Watermania... I can do that at home in one of our local water parks...

There are two levels of closing for the water parks (I believe they are the same for the theme parks). Stage 1 is a closure to day guests. This means that guests that arrive by car without resort ID are turned away. Stage 2 is full closure, resort guests are turned away. The busses still run to take guests back to their resort but no longer pick up at the resorts. Typhoon seldom has a stage 2 closure, but the parking lot often fills (even the grass overflow lot) requiring security to turn away guests with cars). If you really want to go to a waterpark and they turn you away in your car you can try parking at Downtown Disney and hopping the bus to Typhoon but I can't be certain it will work. If you make it to the turnstiles you will get in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom