Water in WDW

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My understanding is that the amoeba in question - Naegleria fowleri. - is warm water only, and seems to thrive when other circumstances kill off it competitors for food. The amoeba eats bacteria. Instances that either increase the bacterial count, or decrease the number of bacterial predators will increase the amoeba count.

For some reason, this amoeba is especially suited to entering the human body though the nasal passages.

In the WDW waterparks the water is sanitized, as required by law. Either via bromine, chlorine, or some other method (UV works, but it is big bucks). The water treatment in the water parks is not only going to kill the amoeba, but also kill its bacterial food supply. As long as you are not snorting Bay Lake, you should be good.

There was a water ski place near Orlando where you were attached to cables that would pull your across a lagoon (as opposed to a boat) that had a number of deaths. Apparently they recommended people wear nose plugs, but people were free not to. You fall when water skiing and you can get a good nose full of water.

As an aside, if you can smell chlorine in the water at a pool / park, that is a sign of not enough chlorine in the water. The chlorine will combine with organic matter to create combined chloromines, the combined cholomines are what you smell. If there is enough additional free chlorine, it will oxidize the combined chloromines, and you will have no smell. When you don't have enough free chlorine to oxidize them, then you get that "chlorine smell". And chlorine does not cause green hair either. that's from copper salts in the water.
What, do you work for the Chlorine Manufacturer's Association?

DisneyDoctor

Yep, it is. But it still begs the question - why? The amoeba reproduces just fine in the water. It's food source is in the water. Infecting a human brain (or any brain for that matter) is not part of its' life cycle. So why develop that functionality?
Could be a situation that they can so why wouldn't they. Or, maybe the amoeba relied on that mechanism in the past and haven't done away with it yet.

Smiley/OCD

I said it before, I'll say it again...If it's my time to "check out" (other than from a resort), I can't think of a better place than WDW...besides, my family wouldn't have to worry about bills for a LONG time...In all honesty, that chance is so small, you can't really worry about it. If you stay home, you get lead poisoning from the pipes..you get in an accident around the corner from your house...life is too short to sweat that stuff.

DisneyDoctor

Interestingly, 2 cases have been reported in Minnesota. I think this could be a product of the huge lake population there, though. "The Land of 10,000 Lakes."

Phonedave

What, do you work for the Chlorine Manufacturer's Association?

Actually, no.

I like to understand things (I am an engineer). Especially things that have a direct impact on me. When I bought a house that had a pool, I looked into what exactly needs to be done to take care of a pool and found some very good, factual, resources about the chemistry of pool water. Most of the chemicals that are sold to pool owners are not necessary (except to the profit margin of the pool store). Once you have the proper amount of stabilizer (CYA) in your water you can get by just fine with bleach, baking soda, borax, and muriatic acid. But now we are REALLY off topic.

-dave

Club Cooloholic

My understanding is that the amoeba in question - Naegleria fowleri. - is warm water only, and seems to thrive when other circumstances kill off it competitors for food. The amoeba eats bacteria. Instances that either increase the bacterial count, or decrease the number of bacterial predators will increase the amoeba count.

For some reason, this amoeba is especially suited to entering the human body though the nasal passages.

In the WDW waterparks the water is sanitized, as required by law. Either via bromine, chlorine, or some other method (UV works, but it is big bucks). The water treatment in the water parks is not only going to kill the amoeba, but also kill its bacterial food supply. As long as you are not snorting Bay Lake, you should be good.

There was a water ski place near Orlando where you were attached to cables that would pull your across a lagoon (as opposed to a boat) that had a number of deaths. Apparently they recommended people wear nose plugs, but people were free not to. You fall when water skiing and you can get a good nose full of water.

As an aside, if you can smell chlorine in the water at a pool / park, that is a sign of not enough chlorine in the water. The chlorine will combine with organic matter to create combined chloromines, the combined cholomines are what you smell. If there is enough additional free chlorine, it will oxidize the combined chloromines, and you will have no smell. When you don't have enough free chlorine to oxidize them, then you get that "chlorine smell". And chlorine does not cause green hair either. that's from copper salts in the water.
eh, I worked as a lifeguard, and there were a few times I left without turning off the chlorine pump. Next morning, your eyes would be watering from that chlorine and it did smell.

MickeyLuv'r

It is my understanding that the main risk of Amoebas at WDW comes from lake water or similar standing pools of water. Amoebas aren't the only danger though. Drinking pool water is a bad idea. So is swimming when you are sick (esp. diarrhea), or have a wound. It is also a good idea to use the (outdoor) showers to rinse off after swimming.

Personally, I always a little extra wary of the mucky water found on pool decks, too. Plantar warts and Athlete's foot are just two of the risks found there.

It might also be worth mentioning that the FL beaches are currently suffer a bad outbreak of red tide.

Last edited:

Phonedave

PH is the most important thing in a pool.

I would not say any one thing is the most important, except perhaps an understanding of water chemistry. But yes, pH is important. That's what the baking soda and muriatic acid is for. Of course your total alkalinity is important as well, as that buffers your pH.

Phonedave

eh, I worked as a lifeguard, and there were a few times I left without turning off the chlorine pump. Next morning, your eyes would be watering from that chlorine and it did smell.

That's a bit different. That is way to much chlorine. Within normal levels, s a pool will smell if there is too little as opposed to too much. I'm surprised you had to manually turn off the pump, most dosing systems are automatic.

Club Cooloholic

That's a bit different. That is way to much chlorine. Within normal levels, s a pool will smell if there is too little as opposed to too much. I'm surprised you had to manually turn off the pump, most dosing systems are automatic.
Old school hotel pool. So old school they had a lifeguard!

Smiley/OCD

It is my understanding that the main risk of Amoebas at WDW comes from lake water or similar standing pools of water. Amoebas aren't the only danger though. Drinking pool water is a bad idea. So is swimming when you are sick (esp. diarrhea), or have a wound. It is also a good idea to use the (outdoor) showers to rinse off after swimming.

Personally, I always a little extra wary of the mucky water found on pool decks, too. Plantar warts and Athlete's foot are just two of the risks found there.

It might also be worth mentioning that the FL beaches are currently suffer a bad outbreak of red tide.

But that is in the Gulf and further south than Tampa, the closest gulf city.

Phonedave

I'm surprised someone is using baking soda, in general, you use potash?

I was responding quickly and I meant to say borax, not baking soda.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will raise pH if needed, but baking soda is better used for raising yourTotal Alkalinity (which buffers pH changes, thus my mis-statement)

Borax or Soda Ash is for raising pH. Muriatic Acid, or Dry Acid works to lower pH. Dry acid will also raise your calcium hardness, which if you are running a salt water cell, can cause problems.

Not sure what all of this has to do with WDW water - kind of got off on a tangent here.

TrojanUSC

Just read a tragic article about a NJ man who was infected with a brain-eating amoeba while at a water park in Texas. This is very very rare, and even more rare because it usually only happens in fresh warm water. It affects people when it goes in through your nose forcefully; like falling while water skiing.

I know the rides use Bromine, but do the water parks use chlorine? I've gotten water in my nose on Summitt Plummit, but now I'm nervous

Geoff

You're about 8000% more likely to die on the bus/van/car ride to WDW from the airport than this happening to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom