Watch out if you need a gluten free diet on the meal plan or otherwise

Michelle

Original Poster
I've just returned from my near annual trip to WDW. I developed a gluten allergy several years ago and cannot tolerate even small amounts of gluten without getting sick. The past few vacations have become more difficult for me at WDW. Initially, several years back, I was very impressed with gluten allergy accommodations. My family and have one table service meal and one quick meal daily, and for the most part, staff have bent over backwards to ensure I am satisfied with my meals. Sadly, this is no longer the case.

For those who cannot afford to eat at table service restaurants, be forewarned. You will have a very hard time at resort food courts and many quick service locations. Availability of gluten free items, or even the management or a chef's willingness to help you, especially during busy meal times, is very uneven. The new chef at Pop Century is unknowledgeable about the gluten free diet enough that he actually told me I could eat something, but when I read the ingredients, I had to explain that regular soy sauce contains wheat. He also was unaware of modified food starch possibly being wheat derived.

At Art of Animations food court, the chef there was downright rude and seemed to think that my gluten allergy was a lifestyle decision and not necessary. He got my order wrong, I had to repeat it 3 times, and then when I asked that the bisquit be replaced with gluten free bread, I was ignored. I actually had to use another quick service meal allocation to get more food. While in line for cappucino, I overheard another woman speaking with the same chef about the cereals available for gluten free guests, and she was very upset as she told him that this was not a choice for her son, and that gluten that could make him very ill.

At Pecos Bill in Magic Kingdom, I've had my second trip in a 12 month period where the same manager has assisted me in ordering. He doesn't offer a dessert, I have to ask, and he is unhappy about it, and then he tries to get me to order tap water instead of a soft drink or bottled water. I will no longer go there. This saddens me as I normally look forward to eating there every vacation with my family.

This trip was the first time I ever used a meal plan, it was free for me. It was also all quick service, something we are not used to doing. Every meal, I dreaded ordering, not knowing what resistance I would face. I actually got into heated debates twice at the Pop Century and Art of Animation foodcourts, explaining that I had a gluten allergy and could not eat the majority of food offered. Once, I brought prepackaged carrot sticks and hard boiled eggs, with no dessert, and asked that this be my meal. I was refused by two people, and when I persisted, they brought over the manager. I seemed to be perceived as a trouble maker! I told her of my allergy, and she approved the meal. In the meantime, I had impatient people waiting to purchase their meals behind me. Every meal, this is what I have to deal with. At Art of Animation, when I had to order a second meal as the first one was so meager, they actually refused to let me have a cappucino and Dannon yogurt as a meal! I had to pay $3.00 for that yogurt. I was disgusted.

GeneralKnowledge

Interesting, my wife has to eat gluten free as well and we've had nothing but a good experience with it. We do eat a lot more at table service restaurants though, but we still have not had an issue with any counter service restaurant either.

Michelle

Original Poster
Yes, I agree with you. We normally spend more on table service meals daily than on our disney hotel room! The table meals generally have been good. Desserts in Italy and Germany's Biergarten are disappointing, but the meals are great. I have found Coral Reef, California Grill, Jiko and Boma to be excellent, as well as Crystal Palace. This trip was a last minute decision and a cheapie for us...only 2 of us went. We saved a bundle using the free quick service plan. I intend to contact someone in food services to suggest that they offer gluten free breads and desserts for an extra charge if they are so concerned about the extra cost. Anyone who has to have a gluten free diet is already painfully aware of how expensive baked good are, and personally, I'd rather be secure in the knowledge that they will be available for purchase rather than have to just hope for the best. We have to rely on Disney for our meals on our vacation. I lost 3 pounds in 6 days, and I am not a heavy person. It is frustrating and disappointing to have had so many problems.

rufio

Wow, that's awful! Luckily, my gluten intolerance isn't life or death. I don't even get sick! I just break out badly if I eat too much of it. Hopefully things improve for you in the future. I would think they would have to get more on-board with this since it seems that more and more people are discovering these kinds of allergies.

bsmartin2000

This post is so very disheartening for me as my Grandson age 4 is allergic to both Wheat and Beef! We plan on taking him next year for his 5th birthday and I was so hoping for a good experience. I guess I had better try to pack as much food as I can for him and hope for the best!

rufio

This post is so very disheartening for me as my Grandson age 4 is allergic to both Wheat and Beef! We plan on taking him next year for his 5th birthday and I was so hoping for a good experience. I guess I had better try to pack as much food as I can for him and hope for the best!

Don't be too disheartened. :) Table service meals are normally much more accommodating than QS!

luv

Since you have special circumstances, you might want to call 24 hours ahead of time to discuss your specific dietary needs. Disney is generally pretty good about helping people out if the people don't spring it on them at the last minute.

Even when you do spring it on them, they are still fairly good.

OP, I would suggest skipping the dining plan and preparing your own meals in your room. This will save both you and the Disney staff a lot of time and trouble.

awesomeinabox

This post is so very disheartening for me as my Grandson age 4 is allergic to both Wheat and Beef!
I would call ahead. I do every time I make a reservation and haven't had a problem. I'm allergic to red meat, pork, everything fried and most artificial food binding agents. Not to mention all uncooked dairy. I call ahead and scour the web for ingredients and they've been nothing but fantastic. I guess a red meat allergy is pretty common. That being said I've never eaten at a value hotel since I've become allergic to everything that tastes delicious so it might be isolated to those few locations. If you do the homework and call ahead you'll have a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom