Watch out for dining plan rip off at Maya Grill!

Reno

Original Poster
We just returned from our trip. We had a great time and 4 of 5 meals were delicious. Our extremely bad experience was at the Maya Grill. We had AR and were seated immediately. The waiter asked if we were on the dining plan. I said we were. He asked to see the card to verify we had 6 meals left. He took the card and went to the register. He brought the card back and took our drink/dinner order. We needed refills. Forget it. We had to wave down another waiter to get refills. When the food came (brought out by another waiter) it was OK. We watched for him so we could try dessert. No luck. After 15 minutes my husband went and found the hostess and asked her to send our waiter over. Another 15 minutes went by before he came. We ordered dessert which was excellent. When it came time to sign the bill the hostess said he had already run the card when we first sat down. How did he know how much to charge? How did he know if we were going to have dessert or not? My guess is he charged us for the max and then left us on our own because he had already rec'd his gratuity. That was the only bad experience we had. Everything else was great. Liberty Tree Tavern was by far the best food, service and entertainment. Just needed to get this off my chest and warn others. Don't let them take your card before dinner/dessert is served!!!

JimboJones123

I had the same crappy service at Mama Melrose. The waiter cashed his tip before he brought the drinks. We spent almost 2 hours there.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That doesn't sound right.

When we were there, the gratuity was based on what you actually ordered. If he charged your card before you ordered, their accounting department would catch a difference between what you ordered and what was processed.

The way you describe it, the waiter was fraudulent and the hostess was complicit. I would write to Disney with specifics if you've got them.

DisneyMarg

Two comments:

1) We had very similar service at 'Ohana (yes, 'Ohana!) on our last trip and we were not on the dining plan. I'm not sure the dining plan was really a factor. I guess even at Disney you can hit a good server on a bad night or run into a bad server on a good night.

2) I don't think whether or not you were ordering dessert mattered, as far as your dining points go. It would have affected his tip, but not your points.

Regardless, I agree that it was bad form.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What if you were paying cash, would that waiter ask to see inside your billfold to see if you had enough cash?

Credit card... run a credit report on you?

This is not right !!

Ciciwoowoo

I posted a thread here with some similar bad experiences with the dining plan. The drink refill thing seemed to be a common theme our whole vacation.

Our waitress at the Liberty Tree Tavern was especially bad. I guess it really doesn't matter where you eat, its just who serves it.

bhg469

Last time we were there we did have the dining plan and everything was great and everyone treated us well. On our previous trip we were actually paying for dinner and the waiter was as rude as can be this was at Jiko but i would not keep me from going back there. Its a shame that some people are treating the plan like this since it is such a great deal and allows us to eat at much better places when normally we would not be able to afford it. Hopefully disney does the right thing and cracks down on this beahavior.

JimboJones123

I think it's more of a "I don't need to earn my tip" thing. They get more money from the DDP people than the average customer. DDPs order aps, desserts, and EVERYBODY at the table orders each. I'm sure average bills per person doubles -- and so does their tip. But if you don't have to work for the tip, I'm sure they don't. I've seen it, non-DDP tables have gotten MUCH more attention than us sometimes. But some servers are still VERY GRACIOUS, and bless them for it.

JimboJones123

JimboJones123 said:
I think it's more of a "I don't need to earn my tip" thing. They get more money from the DDP people than the average customer. DDPs order aps, desserts, and EVERYBODY at the table orders each. I'm sure average bills per person doubles -- and so does their tip. But if you don't have to work for the tip, I'm sure they don't. I've seen it, non-DDP tables have gotten MUCH more attention than us sometimes. But some servers are still VERY GRACIOUS, and bless them for it.

and we have bonus tipped because of it!

Ciciwoowoo

Jimbo

We experienced much of the same thing with the DDP. There was a definite difference in the service between tables, depending if you were on the DDP or not.

We also left extra tips for the decent service. We usually tip 20%, so we felt the few extra dollars that were left were worth it.

Maybe if they cut the tip left to the wait staff down to 10% and left the rest up to the staff to earn it.

shoppingnut

Ciciwoowoo said:
Maybe if they cut the tip left to the wait staff down to 10% and left the rest up to the staff to earn it.

While I think that is an excellent idea, I can imagine the confusion that this would cause because don't they get like 17% or something like that on the DDP. Some people would not tip anything additional, even if service was excellent, just because they would think they were saving money somehow or are just cheapskates, even thought they are on the DDP. And then there would be others which would not understand the concept at all. Just look at fast pass, an easy concept, but still many don't get it.

I have noticed a decline in service as well at the sit downs on my last trip and I don't do the DDP because I have an AP, but use the DDE card instead which gives me 20% off my meals. Even though they have to work for the tip when serving me, some do not, just simply because I think they are getting sufficient tips from the DDP that they don't need to worry about my measalie tip.

Kam

Any way to ensure you get good service?

could people not just offer the DDP card to served best, every waiter/ess would start falling over to be nice agian to ensure they got the tip

Dagger

JimboJones123 said:

As it should be! I was a server/bartender/hostess for several years and although it was non-Disney most restaurants still have added gratuity somewhere or another, be it on large parties, etc. Still yet, you can't get away with stuff like that! I think the only issue is that Disney has such a high volume clientelle that issues are falling by the wayside moreso than in a typical restaurant.

Most people don't want to complain on vacation and also if there aren't localized repeat customers effecting the business of the restaurant (yes, we're all repeat but every several months or years, etc.) then there are no immediate penalities and reprocussions. I guess it will just always be an ongoing thing, but at the same time, for every bad there are probably 15 good CMs in Disney...maybe even more! Seems like most people that work there really wanted to be there, and furthermore, really like their job.

:wave:

Dagger

Ciciwoowoo said:
Jimbo

We experienced much of the same thing with the DDP. There was a definite difference in the service between tables, depending if you were on the DDP or not.

We also left extra tips for the decent service. We usually tip 20%, so we felt the few extra dollars that were left were worth it.

ITA with this, although sadly, many people would not leave extra. First, if it was changed, a lot of people wouldn't know. Second, I bet a percentage of the 18% goes to the kitchen and hostess.

If I was getting 18%, EVEN if it was tacked on, I would do my best job. Sure, 20% is becoming more standard but 18% is still lovely and most servers know that somewhere like Disney leaves a margin of clientelle that would add a few extra bucks! They should also be grateful because generally speaking (and no offense) but outside of North America, most servers receive very little or no tip so any "foreign" Disney-goers would most likely be leaving, sadly between 5% and 15% (as a superb tip) because they don't know better, so really the servers should be thrilled on the 18%, even if it's an add on, considering they receive it all.

Tim G

Reno said:
We just returned from our trip. We had a great time and 4 of 5 meals were delicious. Our extremely bad experience was at the Maya Grill. We had AR and were seated immediately. The waiter asked if we were on the dining plan. I said we were. He asked to see the card to verify we had 6 meals left. He took the card and went to the register. He brought the card back and took our drink/dinner order. We needed refills. Forget it. We had to wave down another waiter to get refills. When the food came (brought out by another waiter) it was OK. We watched for him so we could try dessert. No luck. After 15 minutes my husband went and found the hostess and asked her to send our waiter over. Another 15 minutes went by before he came. We ordered dessert which was excellent. When it came time to sign the bill the hostess said he had already run the card when we first sat down. How did he know how much to charge? How did he know if we were going to have dessert or not? My guess is he charged us for the max and then left us on our own because he had already rec'd his gratuity. That was the only bad experience we had. Everything else was great. Liberty Tree Tavern was by far the best food, service and entertainment. Just needed to get this off my chest and warn others. Don't let them take your card before dinner/dessert is served!!!
And did you file an offical complaint at Guest Relations?
If not, you should 've...

AEfx

I guess I'm misunderstanding something. The service indeed seems horrible and complaint worthy, but I don't get the "how did he know how much to charge" thing. On the dining plan you get one entree, one app, and one dessert - it doesn't matter if you actually take it or not, you still loose the credit. If you had dessert or not the same amount of credits would be taken out.

As to DDP being 2nd class citizens, I didn't experience that at all. A bad waiter is a bad waiter, I guess. I'd speak to the management right away about that. Most good waiters know that people like myself will gladly leave a cash tip on top of the dining plan for good service. You can't be afraid to speak up during the meal if things aren't right - unfortunately, there really is not a lot that can be done to enhance your experience after you've already left the restaurant.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom