Was Roy Disney dying when WDW opened in 1971?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
The parks blog site mentions it
I remember reading in one of the books about building Walt Disney World that they intentionally had the official grand opening ceremony weeks later as not to have a repeat of the disaster that was the opening of Disneyland. This gave them a few weeks before all of the press events to get everything up to speed and avoid some not so great reporting by the press as they worked out the kinks. This was another reason behind them opening in October and not the busy summer months.

I believe the book I'm thinking of is Realityland: True-Life Adventures at Walt Disney World.

Networth

Surprised he lived as long as he did. Not surprised at what killed him in the end. He was a heavy smoker, drinker and had a very stressful career for much of his adult life. Shame really that neither Disney brother lived longer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Little known fact about Roy and his wife, they were both alcoholics.
That was probably the case with Roy E and his wife too...most definitely her...and Roy smoked himself to death like uncle Walt

By the way, Roy Disney was an old man for 1971...he was 78 years old which was ancient then.

He had a cranial hemmorhage (an aneurysm) and died suddenly...nobody would have known.

Don’t think “retirement” killed him either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Surprised he lived as long as he did. Not surprised at what killed him in the end. He was a heavy smoker, drinker and had a very stressful career for much of his adult life. Shame really that neither Disney brother lived longer.
I don’t recall the father being a heavy smoker. Roy E was addicted like he lived in Marlboro country though

Networth

I'm not aware of any studies demonstrating the relationship between smoking and vessel health.

Yeah, more research is being conducted on “vaping”. Most cardiologist I have talked to assume the findings will be similar to the findings we know about cigarettes, and have known for decades. Take a look at a recent article published in JACC a few months ago. Think you may enjoy it. I hate seeing all these kids picking up this habit thinking it’s “cleaner” than cigarettes.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
To be honest, even in 2019 I think 78 is a sufficient age to live to. If someone told me I'd live until 78 right now at my age I would be happy to live that long. Life expectancy for men in the U.S. is 77. In 1971 it was 68.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest, even in 2019 I think 78 is a sufficient age to live to. If someone told me I'd live until 78 right now at my age I would be happy to live that long. Life expectancy for men in the U.S. is 77. In 1971 it was 68.
Agree...but my family never really had any “hangers on” either...so it’s relative.

I’m not sure what a person does in 95 years they can’t get done in 80?

Rich Brownn

I wasn't clear; I don't think most people realize the grand opening with that picture of Roy and Mickey they've seen wasn't on 10/1, but I don't think that's a secret. I just couldn't quickly find a site that mentioned the reason for having the grand opening when they did was because of Roy's health.
Actually its not unusual for Disney to open a park and have the dedication later... gives them time to work out any unexpected bugs before the press comes in officially. EPCOT did the same thing (the Grand Dedication was around the 26th of October).

DisneyDoctor

Yeah, more research is being conducted on “vaping”. Most cardiologist I have talked to assume the findings will be similar to the findings we know about cigarettes, and have known for decades. Take a look at a recent article published in JACC a few months ago. Think you may enjoy it. I hate seeing all these kids picking up this habit thinking it’s “cleaner” than cigarettes.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing.

I’m hoping to become a pediatrician and I fear that I’ll have to have these sorts of talks with my patients more than I’d like to.

Goofyernmost

In the words of Frank Sinatra.. "I said that's life". At a young age, 78 seems like an impossibly long time and by that time we will be ready to go. This past summer I turned 71 and all of a sudden 78 seems like tomorrow and I am nowhere near ready to pack it in. That would be because I am relatively healthy. By that I mean I can still drive, play golf (and beat my Sons in Law), travel (with additional needed help because I cannot walk or stand continuously), my mind is still fairly sharp, however, I am NOT looking forward to the future. I moved here 8 years ago and that has gone by like a flash of lightning.
Agree...but my family never really had any “hangers on” either...so it’s relative.

I’m not sure what a person does in 95 years they can’t get done in 80?
In spite of what I just said above, I agree. If one is wealthy, healthy and wise they may be able to accomplish a lot in those years (example, Jimmy Carter). But, without that financial security, all that exists between 80 and 95 is a whole lot of staring at a wall and painful loneliness. Even 80 is extreme. My mother lived to 86 but the the last generations have actually lived less time. I had three great grandparents that lived to 100. The other one died in the Civil War. Then my grandparents were 85, 84, 67 and 72 respectively. My parents were 86 and 74. The low numbers were all men. Think about what Walt Disney accomplished in 66 years, it is mind boggling. You get to a point where you sometimes think, why am I fighting so hard. I really have accomplished everything I ever will.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom