Was EPCOT lucky not to get some countries built?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
There were plans to build Israel and Iran back in the early days before EPCOT Center was built, and probably some other countries which now have some conflict.

I sometimes wonder what would happen with the CM's if there was any conflict between the countries presented.

It's interesting as less than 35 years had passed since WWII and all of the major countries on both sides were represented at EPCOT although Germany was still split as it was "West Germany" at EPCOT during that time.

Thoughts?

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I think Russia would have been okay, but Iran, Israel, and maybe Venezuela may have ended up being mistakes. Most certainly Iran because of the way the political scene has been since the 80s.

bethymouse

Unless there has to be approval by an ambassador of some sort ( probably so), I would think any country would be a nice addition to World Showcase! IMHO ( Controversy or not).;)

invader

I really think they would have been fine. Disney wold probably operate them at this point and wouldn't be too bad, Epcot likes to show off and display the countries as they were and highlight their history rather than focus on any current problems.

lazyboy97o

While some worse than others, I don't think there is a single World Showcase pavilion without controversy. The China Pavilion was even there during the Tiananmen Square protests and suppression.

Unless there has to be approval by an ambassador of some sort ( probably so), I would think any country would be a nice addition to World Showcase! IMHO ( Controversy or not).;)
No government approval is required for Disney to build a World Showcase pavilion.

Matt_Black

The governments of the countries do not necessarily reflect the people of the countries. Many Israelis and Iranians, especially young adults, want to see more diplomacy between their two nations. And since the CMs in WS tend to be young people, I suspect things would have been fine on that front. I'd be more concerned about idiot guests starting trouble.

Scrungo

Probably not as the whole purpose of the World Showcase (and partial a secondary purpose of EPCOT as a whole) is to represent the unification of all countries and cultures. However, at the same time, people are just stupid.

JIMINYCR

I dont think adding conflicted countries into EP would necessarily be a bad thing or cause conflicts with CM's. Disney doesnt present the countries to us in negative terms and it would give us a chance to learn more about them as a people. Any country added would be there highlighting the positives of their cultures and industries. What happens in the political arena between politicians and the military stays outside of Disney. Guests might prefer not to enter countries because of their individual prejudices but thats their loss. I'd like to see more countries added and have the opportunity to talk with CM's from those places.
Here in Maine there are summer camps where kids from conflicted countries come together for the season and they do exceptionally well together, sharing living space and working together in a variety of programs. They learn that they can exist together without conflict, see that their "enemy" doesnt have to be their enemy, they can live peacefully together and hopefully when they return home they can help bring about change to their world.

yensid67

I dont think adding conflicted countries into EP would necessarily be a bad thing or cause conflicts with CM's. Disney doesnt present the countries to us in negative terms and it would give us a chance to learn more about them as a people. Any country added would be there highlighting the positives of their cultures and industries. What happens in the political arena between politicians and the military stays outside of Disney. Guests might prefer not to enter countries because of their individual prejudices but thats their loss. I'd like to see more countries added and have the opportunity to talk with CM's from those places.
Here in Maine there are summer camps where kids from conflicted countries come together for the season and they do exceptionally well together, sharing living space and working together in a variety of programs. They learn that they can exist together without conflict, see that their "enemy" doesnt have to be their enemy, they can live peacefully together and hopefully when they return home they can help bring about change to their world.

Maybe the militaries of the countries should adopt this program!

WDW Guru

The only one that I could see starting a problem would've been Israel. There are a lot of people around the would that are appalled by Israel and would most likely shun Epcot as a whole (or even the entire resort) if the Israel pavilion was put into place. I am not taking any sides on this argument but I would like to point out that I know many people that feel that way and would take that same stance.

rm247

Russia is a country i still want to see get a pavilion. Their major cities are beautiful and extremely unique.

Considering the "hostility" between Israel and their neighbours/Islam in general, i think it's a good thing they don't have a pavilion as it would be an easy target for countless protests regarding their international policies and behaviours

The Empress Lilly

The only one that I could see starting a problem would've been Israel. There are a lot of people around the would that are appalled by Israel and would most likely shun Epcot as a whole (or even the entire resort) if the Israel pavilion was put into place. I am not taking any sides on this argument but I would like to point out that I know many people that feel that way and would take that same stance.
I believe this was a major argument against the planned Israeli pavilion. It was feared that it would result in a theme park one would have to enter like an airplane, with bag checks, searches, permanent fear of terror attacks. Unlike now. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom