Was DS ever to get an Apple Store?

Tyler161

Original Poster
Sorry to begin a new thread with a question, but I’m not sure if I’m remembering correctly or not, and I’ve been waiting patiently for news for a while now. If I am remembering correctly, I thought an Apple Store was in the plans for when Disney Springs was announced.

Will this ever come into fruition, or am I completely making things up?

the.dreamfinder

Was it objections from the malls where Apple already has locations in Central Florida (Millenia, Florida Mall) or just the company's change in direction with the "Today at Apple" store model and not having a space to suit that?

lazyboy97o

Was it objections from the malls where Apple already has locations in Central Florida (Millenia, Florida Mall) or just the company's change in direction with the "Today at Apple" store model and not having a space to suit that?
Disney charges high rents and takes a cut of sales. Apple usually gets lower rent and doesn’t like to share.

MadTeacup

Wow! Apparently quite a few locations were being considered for Apple. What I heard from some people on opening team was that Apple was originally headed to the Coke building and that's why the building has a very sleek glass facade covering the brick underneath. Therefore the "Today at Apple" design would not have been a problem. From what I understand, many companies opted out simply because of money. Disney thought that retail space at Walt Disney World should come at a very high cost to tenants. Companies such as Apple and Forever 21 did not agree.

lazyboy97o

Wow! Apparently quite a few locations were being considered for Apple. What I heard from some people on opening team was that Apple was originally headed to the Coke building and that's why the building has a very sleek glass facade covering the brick underneath. Therefore the "Today at Apple" design would not have been a problem. From what I understand, many companies opted out simply because of money. Disney thought that retail space at Walt Disney World should come at a very high cost to tenants. Companies such as Apple and Forever 21 did not agree.
Apple was never going into the Coke building nor is that building anything like Apple’s aesthetic. The buildings that house a single tenant were designed and built by that tenant.

Tyler161

Original Poster
Apple pays big money to lease top notch locations, and the company also has been focusing on opening large stores or replacing existing ones with their new design. I don’t think it would be out of the realm of possibility for them to want to pay a higher price to go to Disney Springs.

I could actually see Apple going into the Coke building and gutting the exterior for it to resemble the new store aesthetic. There are some pretty unique Apple Stores, and Disney Springs would be the perfect place to showcase some uniqueness.

lazyboy97o

Apple pays big money to lease top notch locations, and the company also has been focusing on opening large stores or replacing existing ones with their new design. I don’t think it would be out of the realm of possibility for them to want to pay a higher price to go to Disney Springs.

I could actually see Apple going into the Coke building and gutting the exterior for it to resemble the new store aesthetic. There are some pretty unique Apple Stores, and Disney Springs would be the perfect place to showcase some uniqueness.

Jon81uk

I thought there was some discussion that the empty plot next to the Coke building (that is now Wolfgang Puck grill) was reserved for Apple.

MadTeacup

I thought there was some discussion that the empty plot next to the Coke building (that is now Wolfgang Puck grill) was reserved for Apple.
That is very possible. All I know is that a friend of mine who was on opening team was under the impression it was the coke site. It's very likely he may have been mistaken since his role did not directly involve food or retail.

Regardless, as many people have pointed out, there's a good possibility that Disney Springs could have been the "mall killer" it was intended to be if they had lured the right brands such as Apple. Unfortunately, the execs in charge (who probably have little to no experience in mall management) decided that is was such a privilege to open a store at Disney that nobody deserved a deal on rent. This idea is what led to the unexpected amount of vacant storefronts on opening day, some of which have since been filled by WDW-operated stores.

Jon81uk

That is very possible. All I know is that a friend of mine who was on opening team was under the impression it was the coke site. It's very likely he may have been mistaken since his role did not directly involve food or retail.

Regardless, as many people have pointed out, there's a good possibility that Disney Springs could have been the "mall killer" it was intended to be if they had lured the right brands such as Apple. Unfortunately, the execs in charge (who probably have little to no experience in mall management) decided that is was such a privilege to open a store at Disney that nobody deserved a deal on rent. This idea is what led to the unexpected amount of vacant storefronts on opening day, some of which have since been filled by WDW-operated stores.

I don't think any of the Town Center units are now Disney operated stores, there was a temporary store whilst work was carried out on World of Disney but I haven't read much about a significant number of Disney-operated stores filling out Town Center. Marketplace has been predominantly Disney stores for 10-20 years anyway. Also @wdwmagic has reported that a number of stores at Disney Springs are now that companies best performing store in the USA, so I don't think they really need to offer rent reductions.

ImperfectPixie

I'll admit that as a long-time Apple fan (since the early 1990s), I've avoided the stores completely until just yesterday. I had bought a used iPhone 6 for my oldest son, and it was having battery issues (yes, I learned this week that iPhone 6/6s and battery issues are/were a "thing"). Anyway, long story short, rather than simply telling me to hit the bricks and that I was out of luck because I didn't have an Apple care plan or anything and the phone was out of warranty...they sold me another iPhone 6 for what I would have paid for battery replacement - $49 - because the battery had swollen and rendered the phone useless. Now THAT is standing behind your product and gives me yet another reason to love Apple.

As far as how busy the store was - I was stunned - you would think they were giving away $100 bills. I was SO GLAD I'd made an appointment because there were obviously tons of walk-ins waiting to be helped, but because I had an appointment, I was being helped literally within 2 minutes of setting foot in the store. By the time we were done, I think I might have spent 15-20 minutes total in the store.

wdwjmp239

Apple Store and Shake Shack were both on the "vision board".
A Shake Shack at Disney Springs would be friggin' epic! I would almost be as busy as its flagship location in New York City, I bet! There's nothing like waiting in line for 2 hours for a shake from the shack! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom