WARNING: Price gouging at gas stations in Orlando

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok, can I just throw out a little point that may or may not be taken well?

How many people eat a resteratunt without looking at the price before they ingest the food?

How many people throw down their credit card at their local department store without knowing what they are paying for?

How many people actually pump the gas before looking at the price on the pump?

If anything the complaint should be, "I had to drive and find another gas station because the price on the pump that was not posted on a sign was ridiculously high".

If gas is too high at a store when you go to pump it, leave.

Or am I missing something here?
In the case of the gas stations around MCO I think most people fell a bit trapped. They are more than likely running late, need to fill up a rental car before they return it, are trying to catch a flight, and are in an unfamiliar location. I'll wager most see the price and just pump anyway feeling that they have no other good option. The stations are simply taking advantage of all of those factors. It is not illegal but it is pretty crappy of them.

Susan Savia

If I pulled into a gas station that showed $5 on the pump I'd pull right on out and keep on hunting for something a bit more reasonable.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
In the case of the gas stations around MCO I think most people fell a bit trapped. They are more than likely running late, need to fill up a rental car before they return it, are trying to catch a flight, and are in an unfamiliar location. I'll wager most see the price and just pump anyway feeling that they have no other good option. The stations are simply taking advantage of all of those factors. It is not illegal but it is pretty crappy of them.

Oh I totally agree and maybe because I travel for work and rent cars a lot I'm more aware. I would think though that those couple of stations could not exist solely on rental returns so there must be some local consumers involved. Maybe not. Either way I hope they get they deserve.

drdoom1001

I remember seeing that gas station on 535 outside Downtown Disney have crazy ridiculous prices for years now,like a $1.50 more than all the stations in the area,then one day they just stopped posting the prices and I just kept thinking to myself how that just can't be legal,I think it's been 3-4 years since they stopped posting the prices.Even inside Disney the Hess stations have some of the lowest prices in the area,but do not go to that station.

mp2bill

I belive that some members of the FL legislature were trying to make a law last year that would require gas stations to display their prices on a visible sign because of these issues in Orlando. Unfortunately I think it was overturned.

I may be wrong, but I think it's a federal law that all gas stations must have a sign visible from the road that lists the prices. I know this to be the case in Massachusetts, but I don't think it's a state law...thus my belief that it's a federal law.

In any case, hopefully something is done about it soon.

toolsnspools

The rental companies have been gouging us for returning cars on empty for years. They don't even pay consumer prices for the gas because they have their own pumps. I don't think their price is twice the going rate though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Oh ok... What drugs are you on because your statement is totally in accurate.

The kind of drug that allows me to see through overly dramatic statements and search for actual facts and truth.

The Gulf of Mexico beachfront is over 3000 miles long. It is bordered by the USA, Mexico and Cuba. I don't recall any frantic news reports about oil washing up in Mexico or Cuba, therefore "all" of the Gulf of Mexico has not been destroyed. Then I move on to the "destroyed" portion of the comment. A significant portion of this oil was dissolved or eaten by mother nature. Yes, mother nature is not some fragile old lady that cant take care of business. She is a tough, beautiful, and sometimes mean heartless entity that does not need a whole lot of help to fix problems.

Was the oil spill tragic. Yes. Should we go around spewing toxins into the environment. No. Should we clean up after ourselves when we do. Yes. Should we go around making comments that the entire planet is doomed because man lives its natural course of existence. Absolutely not. When mother nature gets tired of us little parasites living on her, she will do something about it, and we humans probably wont have much to say about it.

**The above is purely my opinion and may not be based on any particular source, whether scientific, religious, or otherwise**

The_CEO

The kind of drug that allows me to see through overly dramatic statements and search for actual facts and truth.

The Gulf of Mexico beachfront is over 3000 miles long. It is bordered by the USA, Mexico and Cuba. I don't recall any frantic news reports about oil washing up in Mexico or Cuba, therefore "all" of the Gulf of Mexico has not been destroyed. Then I move on to the "destroyed" portion of the comment. A significant portion of this oil was dissolved or eaten by mother nature. Yes, mother nature is not some fragile old lady that cant take care of business. She is a tough, beautiful, and sometimes mean heartless entity that does not need a whole lot of help to fix problems.

Was the oil spill tragic. Yes. Should we go around spewing toxins into the environment. No. Should we clean up after ourselves when we do. Yes. Should we go around making comments that the entire planet is doomed because man lives its natural course of existence. Absolutely not. When mother nature gets tired of us little parasites living on her, she will do something about it, and we humans probably wont have much to say about it.

**The above is purely my opinion and may not be based on any particular source, whether scientific, religious, or otherwise**

Four points for you. Sorry for the rude comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom