Wanting to book our first cruise but I need some help first!

EOD K9

For me the biggest reason for thinking RCI is the two 17 year olds that will be with us, plus the husband and son aren't big Disney People. Ugh, I was really wanting DCL for the customer service and dining. I've looked into hidden costs on RCI but still think the boys would enjoy it more. When it is just husband and I there will be no question but for now I'm still a little unsure.

As of now the only thing from stopping me switching to RCI completely is the 4 day itinerary out of Miami. It stops at 3 ports so it would be a busy cruise and they wouldn't have time to be bored.
As weird as it sounds, you can avoid a lot of Disney things. You can avoid character meet and greets, hang out in the clubs, see movies, and so forth. The Disney service is there, but it is not like it is in the parks all in your face. I haven’t been on RCL, but we enjoy the ambiance, service, and quality of DCL. Feel free to ask more questions.

imahistorygeek

We’ve never considered another cruise line. Sure, I’ve looked at them, but I know what I’m going to get with Disney and I’m willing to pay for it. Yes, it’s expensive, but for us, it’s worth it. I was surprised about what is not included in other cruise lines and that’s one of the many reasons we’ve stayed at Disney. We’ve never done meet and greets, but we’ve watched movies, participated in activities, etc. there’s always something to do and youth activities are always happening. Like @EOD K9 mentioned, it's Disney, but not in your face.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm not much help as I haven't sailed on any other cruise lines. One of my good friends has sailed on several cruise lines (she has no kids) and said Disney was her favorite. But her mother in law did pay for the cruise so that wasn't part of what made her decide it was her favorite. She and her husband also aren't Disney people.

Phonedave

@lostpro9het @imahistorygeek @ChuckElias @ZapperZ @MotherofaPrincessLover @Surfin' Tuna and anyone else that can help.

This seems blasphemous. But I was reading reviews and someone mentioned Royal Caribbean cruises. I hoped on their website to take a peek and was very surprised how much cheaper they are and I can go on a longer cruise for less money. Are the cruises just a good as DCL? Something you should know, out of the 4 of us going on the cruise I'm the only Disney freak. There will be no character meetings. I choose DCL for the Disney shows and what everyone has said about the dining. Am I crazy for contemplating a different cruise line to save money or go on a longer cruise?

I have said, for quite some time now, that the extra cost of DCL is not worth it unless you have small children.

That is my opinon, and is just that, and opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

I cannot talk about RCL, having never sailed RCL, but I can tell you about my comparison of DCL to Celebrity.

Right off the bat, the kids stuff on DCL is wonderful. When my kids were younger *under 13), it was awesome

Food is great - on both lines, I may even give the nudge to Celebrity on this one.

DCL has amazing service. However, if you call DCL service 100, then Celebrity comes in around a 97-98

Keeping the ship "shipshape" DCL 99 Celebrity 97 - No, DCL does not get 100 - there were some glaring issues on some of the cruises I was on. One offs, but still problems - that knocks you out of 100

Entertainment. Kind of a toss up. The three shows you get on DCL are amazing, no denying it. Celebrity has a really good DCL quality show in it's line up - The Chandelier. At least last I cruised it did. Now is where it gets different, Celebrity has a different main show every night. Magicians, stage shows, musicals, etc. DCL, not so much. I also like the extra offering that Celebrity does better than DCL - marginally so.

Of course DCL staterooms win without question. Bigger than average, and the split bath is wonderful.

So, unless you have kids, you have to ask if the extra cost of DCL is worth a marginally better level of upkeep on the ship, a larger stateroom, and different entertainment.

Now, some people just downright love DCL (and I do too) and will do nothing else. For my money, i would rather book a higher level stateroom, a pricey shore excursion, and still have more money in my pocket.

-dave

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
So I did it.... I feel so ashamed. :( I booked an RCI cruise for my first cruise. Here is my arguement:

The cruise I was going to go with on DCL was a 4 night 3 port cruise for $3600 and i think before taxes and fees for 4 people.

The RCI cruise i chose is 5 nights 2 ports plus two rooms for $2500 including taxes and fees for 4 people. If I went with a JR. Suite that had a larger balcony facing the back of the ship was only $2600, but I chose to have two rooms. That's the bad thing about RCI in most of the rooms the 3rd and 4th person have to share a couch turned into a double bed. I couldn't do that to the boys.

The main factor was the two 17 year old boys. I know there are things they can do on DCL but there is just so much more for them on RCI. I have looked into the "extra costs" compared to DCL. There are some, but not as many as I thought.

I want to thank you all for helping me and answering all my questions.

Last edited:

Surfin' Tuna

Other than being a traitor and turning your back on Disney who is going to judge you? I'm totally kidding. I think this was the right choice given all the variables. I think your son is going to have a great time on RCI, and that's a huge part of a vacation. If a teenage boy isn't have a good time, it is rarely a secret. Heck...I'm a lot older than 17, and I probably let it be known a bit more than I should or will admit. Have a great time and let us know what you thought of it. You can't ever go wrong with a longer cruise!

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Other than being a traitor and turning your back on Disney who is going to judge you? I'm totally kidding. I think this was the right choice given all the variables. I think your son is going to have a great time on RCI, and that's a huge part of a vacation. If a teenage boy isn't have a good time, it is rarely a secret. Heck...I'm a lot older than 17, and I probably let it be known a bit more than I should or will admit. Have a great time and let us know what you thought of it. You can't ever go wrong with a longer cruise!
:joyfull: Thanks!

The more I think about it the better I feel about my decision. No one likes being on vacation with a bored and grumpy teenager. We'll definitely try a Disney cruise when it's just the Husband and I. I could do Disney every year but he needs a break every once and awhile too so this is also good for him. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom