Trip Report Want a stress free Disney vacation? Go to Hong Kong! (completed)

In June 2016 I went with my father to Hong Kong Disneyland for two days/three nights following my brother’s wedding in Koh Samui,Thailand. I thought I would put a trip report here in case people were tossing up making a trip and were wanting some information, or even for those who are just interested in hearing about the non-American parks. I found the whole experience to be fun and so much easier than either Disneyland or Disneyworld and I would recommend any Disney parks fans who are travelling to Asia to pay a visit. We spoke to a few Australians who were breaking up the long-haul to and from UK/Europe with a quick stopover in Hong Kong Disneyland, so for people from my part of the world it is an especially convenient option.

Arrival Day 22nd of June 2016

On this day we flew from Koh Samui to Hong Kong via Bangkok. Here is a gratuitous shot of the wedding venue which was stunning. My brother and his new wife were blessed with the only dry, blue sky day we had while there.

elEhFTRETaSxJ97MZjMFrA_thumb_5db.jpg

We arrived in Hong Kong at around 6pm and took a quick and cheap taxi ride from the airport to the resort. It was extra cheap for me as Dad paid for it as I had no Hong Kong money yet!

We were staying at the Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong’s 2nd tier hotel (there are only two, soon to be three). The cost of the room fell somewhere between a moderate and a low level deluxe resort at WDW and I thought it was beautiful and great value. There were lots of Disneyfied art deco details around the property and rooms.

6Ey8BhKfTdi%dpLv4rzf0A_thumb_4d2.jpg
pB2Rejx4TAW%Fv3a1T6Kew_thumb_50c.jpg

The wifi was good, the beds were comfortable and the room was quiet. I didn’t take any photos of the room as I didn’t want Dad to think I was a weirdo! It included 4 bottles of water a day and 4 pairs of slippers as well as nice soaps and shampoos. There were also these lovely cup sets which included three cups and well as a variety of toiletries. These got squirrelled away in the suitcase and replaced each day.

YtIGcc6KQwSUYLmd1kXpGQ_thumb_2626.jpg

The only area in which the hotel fell down was the availability of food options. The “quick-service” style place was closed at night so there was only a full service expensive lounge and the buffet restaurant. We waited in the lounge to be served for such a long time that we actually just got up and left.

We had a quick look around the grounds. It was shockingly hot and humid despite the late hour and we were tired from travelling so we didn’t wander too far. We ended up watching the fireworks display from the carpark. I bought some hugely overpriced ($25 NZ/$18 US) seven dwarves tsum tsum style hair bands in the little shop in the hotel as I was still in the mentality of thinking in Thai Bhat which is 25.5 to 1 NZ$ rather the Hong Kong dollar which is 5.5 to 1 NZ$. They are a cute way to tie up your hair in the parks but definitely not worth $25.

WlyaY5giSVawLbQ0fXGxCw_thumb_4f7.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I hope this means another Tuvalu trip report. No pressure!!!! Do you have any suggestions about room requests? I have just booked standard rooms.
I requested near transportation and we are in building 4, just steps away from the bus stop and food court. But the resort itself is compact and there really isn't a bad location! :)

CaliKris

Thanks for the great trip report. We are headed to HKDL this summer (in the heat and humidity) and you gave me lots of great ideas for what to do! Love your pics!

Kiwiduck

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your trip!
Thank you for following along!

Enjoyed reading your trip report!
Thank you for reading!

Thanks for the great trip report. We are headed to HKDL this summer (in the heat and humidity) and you gave me lots of great ideas for what to do! Love your pics!
Thank you, I'm pleased that you found it useful. The humidity was about the worst I have ever experienced but I had a great time anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom