Wanna Help Some Kids?

mickeysaver

Original Poster
Here in Atlanta, there is a morning radio show called the Bert Show on Q100.5. The show's host has an annual event called Bert's Big Adventure - http://www.bertsbigadventure.org/ - and they take a small group of chronically ill kids and their families to WDW every year. They majorly spoil the kids and their families. I got very teary last year when they talked with the kids after the trip. I also got majorly teary again this week when they played the audio of the parents finding out that their kids were going to WDW. The whole thing runs off of donations and the profits from the sale of a "best of" cd that the show produces every so often. So, feel free to visit http://www.bertsbigadventure.org/Donation.html and donate money to them directly.

Anyway, being a newly converted pin addict, I got the bright idea that maybe the kids would enjoy doing some pin trading or at the very least have some cool pins to show off. So I am hoping to collect some pins and lanyards to donate to the project. I will of course include information on pin trading with the donation. To do this, all 8 kids would need a lanyard and pins. They don't do anything for one kid that they can't do for all. So, I am trying to hit eBay for pins and lanyards for the kids.

Anyone interested in helping me to acquire some low cost pins for this project, please let me know. They go to WDW in March, so I was hoping to get some stuff together by the end of the month. Thanks for any assistance you can offer. You all have my word that any pins that are donated or sold to me at a low cost for this project will NOT go into my pinbook. TIA Maggie

mickeysaver

Original Poster
Wow! I have been getting emails from all over the US & the UK with offers of pins for the kids. Bert & Jenn from The Bert Show even emailed me to tell me how cool this is going to be for the kids and how excited they are to be getting such cool gifts for the kids. I just want to thank everyone from this board that is helping make this happen. Maggie

mickeysaver

Original Poster
Well, we are down to the last couple of days before the pins and lanyards get turned over to the radio station. I am supposed to go down there around 11 am on the 4th. I have collected over 80 pins and enough lanyards for all the kids and their siblings. I found out today that there is a total of 16 munchkins going on this trip and 13 of them are over the age of 4. So, I am crossing my fingers that the my mailbox is full the next couple of days.

My partner and I have picked up some toys and stuff for all the kids too. I encourage everyone who reads this to support this charity. They spread pixie dust to some folks that really deserve it. I can't wait to hear the trip reports in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for everyone's support. Maggie

mickeysaver

Original Poster
I got to meet Jenn, Melissa, and Jeff from the Bert show today!!! Bert is on vacation, so I was unable to meet him. They were all so great. I gave them a list of everyone that donated so far. I was able to explain about pin trading at Disney and tell them a little about the pins. They loved the pins! There is one member of the staff that is a pin trader, so they are going to let him give out the lanyards and review the pin trading guidelines with the kids. The toys, watches, stickerbooks, animal cups were all a big hit too.

I am going to be building a website to help collect pins and lanyards for the kids throughout the year. I will let everyone know when it is up. I have got to get the pictures developed from today, but first I have to run through the rest of the roll of film.

Thanks to everyone that donated either to Bert's Big Adventure directly or through my little effort to support the charity. The kids will be spoiled!

Peace, Love, and Pixie Dust
Maggie

mickeysaver

Original Poster
To everyone that was so kind in making a donation of pins and/or lanyards to the Bert's Big Adventure charity, they have said thanks to you all on the website. Click here to see it.

The names included are only the ones that got stuff to me in time for the kids going to WDW later this week. Isn't it exciting to know that you made a difference? Maggie

PS. Anything that has arrived since the donation last Thursday will be saved for the kids going in 2005. I am sure that you will be thanked by the radio station then also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom