Wandering Oakens closed!

216bruce

Yoo Hoo Big Winter blowout!
tumblr_myxju8rE741tnjwfzo1_500.gif

djkidkaz

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense. If it's half as popular it can help the attendance in that park when it's a mass of construction.

Im wondering how much the construction will really impact the park? It seems everything they are doing is in places that Guests won't really be affected. Even when they close LMA, it only runs twice a day so not a huge loss to the park. I don't think we'll see big impacts until they close Indy and start working on Star Wars, unless they have plans to really re-route the park and change its layout.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The rumor I'm hearing is that it's not coming back to DHS next year due to the construction that will be going on. The two rumored possible alternatives Ive heard is Future World at Epcot or Disney Springs for the Osborne Lights.
Both of those would be brilliant (pun) solutions.

RSoxNo1

Im wondering how much the construction will really impact the park? It seems everything they are doing is in places that Guests won't really be affected. Even when they close LMA, it only runs twice a day so not a huge loss to the park. I don't think we'll see big impacts until they close Indy and start working on Star Wars, unless they have plans to really re-route the park and change its layout.
Well Studio Catering Co and the corresponding shop were thought to be closing earlier, and they're still on the schedule. I had thought they could dead end the park there, but it sounds like they're not going to do that yet. If I had to guess the park layout is that they'll knock down the building that housed the Legend of Jack Sparrow and build a wide pathway to the Toy Story attractions. Initially that will be the only entrance, but ultimately I would expect another entrance to that area (and additional Pixar content) to the left of Toy Story. I would expect the water tank and Studio Backlot Tour area to be demolished as well. If I had to guess the timing of this, I would think that Lights Motors, Action doesn't close until the Toy Story flat rides or Toy Story Mania expansion are open.

doctornick

Well Studio Catering Co and the corresponding shop were thought to be closing earlier, and they're still on the schedule. I had thought they could dead end the park there, but it sounds like they're not going to do that yet. If I had to guess the park layout is that they'll knock down the building that housed the Legend of Jack Sparrow and build a wide pathway to the Toy Story attractions. Initially that will be the only entrance, but ultimately I would expect another entrance to that area (and additional Pixar content) to the left of Toy Story. I would expect the water tank and Studio Backlot Tour area to be demolished as well. If I had to guess the timing of this, I would think that Lights Motors, Action doesn't close until the Toy Story flat rides or Toy Story Mania expansion are open.

This is exactly what I think should (and hopefully will) happen. That would leave a ton of land available at the current LMA/Catastrophe Canyon/Backlot Tour load & unload footprint for a lot of Pixar stuff -- at least a significant Cars presence (Radiator Springs?) and hopefully other franchises (Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, etc).

Realistically you could do a lot without touching the SoA footprint simply by using all the space of the Backlot Tour and the backstage buildings there.

JimboJones123

This is exactly what I think should (and hopefully will) happen. That would leave a ton of land available at the current LMA/Catastrophe Canyon/Backlot Tour load & unload footprint for a lot of Pixar stuff -- at least a significant Cars presence (Radiator Springs?) and hopefully other franchises (Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, etc).

Realistically you could do a lot without touching the SoA footprint simply by using all the space of the Backlot Tour and the backstage buildings there.
SAMCRO Forever!

Where is my gun running motorcycle coaster?

Ignohippo

I think you're right on the mark with this.

Can someone please tell me what the backstage buildings are on Highland (between the Animation Building and RNRC) and right by its intersection with Sunset Blvd.? It's a large "L" shaped building with a yellow roof. I would imagine it's offices.

It has always seemed to me that this would be one of the better expansion areas in the park.

Bolt

Umm.. What exactly is there to gut? It's already an empty warehouse. I can't imagine that it has taken them since October to gut the little lobby room
I'm confused what you are asking. You do realize that's a construction site, right?

Ignohippo

You have. There are new facilities being built elsewhere on property as we speak. I'm sure you know about the new Southeast Service Facility (Near Wide World of Sports) and the new Western Way Service Facilities. I don't know it, but my money is on the new building being in one of those two places.

I too thought that construction was for laundry facilities. I would imagine costuming and scenery would need much more room than a normal relocate. Surely this plans were drawn up WAY before they would have known they'd need to find new homes for both of them.

Jwhee

I'm confused what you are asking. You do realize that's a construction site, right?
Yea, it's been an active site since early October. One of the posters above said it should be gutted by now. Even at Disney's building pace, it should take no more than a week to gut the soundstage. How do you gut an already empty building? There is literally one wall in there besides the four that make the thing up.

Bolt

Yea, it's been an active site since early October. One of the posters above said it should be gutted by now. Even at Disney's building pace, it should take no more than a week to gut the soundstage. How do you gut an already empty building? There is literally one wall in there besides the four that make the thing up.
I think you're confused. @John Fowler was asking if SWW shop would go into Oaken's. No. It's gutted. They knocked down every wall. You realize there were offices, bathrooms, catwalks, walking tour and such in that building, right?

Have we heard any definite date on when LMA is going to be closed?

RSoxNo1

Can someone please tell me what the backstage buildings are on Highland (between the Animation Building and RNRC) and right by its intersection with Sunset Blvd.? It's a large "L" shaped building with a yellow roof. I would imagine it's offices.

It has always seemed to me that this would be one of the better expansion areas in the park.
Here's a look at overhead:
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=28.357280&lon=-81.561301&z=19&m=b

Tinkrbell

I think the building you're referring to is Ops 3. It's some offices, but also warehouse space for facilities & events support.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I too thought that construction was for laundry facilities. I would imagine costuming and scenery would need much more room than a normal relocate. Surely this plans were drawn up WAY before they would have known they'd need to find new homes for both of them.

The area shown here is the new laundry facility.

Capture.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom