Walt's Thoughts on the Asian parks

WED99

Original Poster
As a Walt Disney fan currently traveling through Hong Kong and Japan, I keep asking myself the same question.

"What would Walt think of the Disney parks in Asia?"

Would he change anything? Dislike anything? Love anything? I find the Asian parks tend to do many things differently to fit into the culture of the area, could that be a problem to him?

I thought it would be a fun discussion so please, discuss! Feel free to bring Paris into things, I've never been there so I left it out.

The Empress Lilly

What would Walt have thought?

So difficult to tell. I'd say 'What are you waiting for? Why haven't we got eight Asian resorts up and running? We need the funds to finance my plans to drain the Everglades for a city/resort complex to top Dubai'.

lucysmum64

I have been to both US parks a couple of times each, Paris many many times and have been to Tokyo twice. I'm not sure what he would have thought but the enthusiasm that Japanese people have when they visit the park is enormous - the visitors are as big a draw as the park. If Walt's main aim was to entertain then everyone can see that this is appreciated in Tokyo. I am visiting HK park next week so will let you know.

PeterAlt

As a Walt Disney fan currently traveling through Hong Kong and Japan, I keep asking myself the same question.

"What would Walt think of the Disney parks in Asia?"

Would he change anything? Dislike anything? Love anything? I find the Asian parks tend to do many things differently to fit into the culture of the area, could that be a problem to him?

I thought it would be a fun discussion so please, discuss! Feel free to bring Paris into things, I've never been there so I left it out.
Walt said, "There will never be another Disneyland," at the press conference that announced WDW. There was going to be another Magic Kingdom within a whole new "Disney World" but not another Disneyland.

Now, there's Disneylands at Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. I don't think he would be too happy.

Californian Elitist

Walt said, "There will never be another Disneyland," at the press conference that announced WDW. There was going to be another Magic Kingdom within a whole new "Disney World" but not another Disneyland.

Now, there's Disneylands at Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. I don't think he would be too happy.

You do realize Magic Kingdom is Disneyland? An imitation, that is.

PeterAlt

So what exactly were you trying to say? Walt Disney wouldn't have had a problem with Magic Kingdom because it's not called "Disneyland"?
No, he clearly wasn't. He said there will be one Disneyland and one Disney World ("with a theme park like Disneyland"). He didn't want to flood the World with unoriginal and uninspired copies of Disneyland. The theme park at WDW was only accepted by him after Roy told him it was needed in order to pay for all the other ideas he had for the Florida property.

Californian Elitist

No, he clearly wasn't. He said there will be one Disneyland and one Disney World ("with a theme park like Disneyland"). He didn't want to flood the World with unoriginal and uninspired copies of Disneyland. The theme park at WDW was only accepted by him after Roy told him it was needed in order to pay for all the other ideas he had for the Florida property.

So what was the point of you mentioning Magic Kingdom in your original post? I'm lost.

PeterAlt

So what was the point of you mentioning Magic Kingdom in your original post? I'm lost.
I'm just translating what he he meant as he wasn't calling the Florida theme park Magic Kingdom then. Logically, Florida theme park means Magic Kingdom. If there's any doubt with what I said, don't take me for my words, take Walt for Walt's words...

lazyboy97o

I'm just translating what he he meant as he wasn't calling the Florida theme park Magic Kingdom then. Logically, Florida theme park means Magic Kingdom. If there's any doubt with what I said, don't take me for my words, take Walt for Walt's words...
You are still making no sense. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are synonymous terms. Disneyland is still known to this day as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom." Disneyland is a Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom Park is a Disneyland.

PeterAlt

You are still making no sense. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are synonymous terms. Disneyland is still known to this day as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom." Disneyland is a Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom Park is a Disneyland.
Bananas, banahnas. Did you even watch the video?

He said there will only be one one Disneyland and one Disney World. Not a second Disneyland in Tokyo. A third one in Paris. A forth in Hong Kong. A fifth in Shanghai. A sixth in wherever...

It's perfectly clear he didn't want it cloned all over the place!

Californian Elitist

Bananas, banahnas. Did you even watch the video?

He said there will only be one one Disneyland and one Disney World. Not a second Disneyland in Tokyo. A third one in Paris. A forth in Hong Kong. A fifth in Shanghai. A sixth in wherever...

It's perfectly clear he didn't want it cloned all over the place!

Yeah, and not a second in Florida, either.

Californian Elitist

I still don't understand your point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom