News Walter E. Disney overhaul

Disneyrailfan1996

I imagine that Walter will likely get the same treatment as Lilly with the new boiler–electronic ignition, semi-computerization (emphasis on semi), and digital speedometer. Some say it’s not pure steam, some say it is pure steam but it’s just plain wrong, but I think of it this way: as long as the locomotive is still steam, Walt would be happy. Besides, he liked innovation and believed in moving forward – if he didn’t, then how come and why do you think we have Audio Animatronics, Epcot, and unique ride systems like the Omnimover? I mean if it was just full blown computerization – no crew period–, then I’m sure Walt wouldn’t be happy about what may be done to the Walter and what has been done to Lilly.

Andrew M

As far I know, it's still in Strasburg. I haven't seen anyone reporting it leaving yet and it's pretty hard to miss.. atleast when they don't have it behind their secret wall in the shops.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Anyone have updates on the Walter's status?
As far I know, it's still in Strasburg. I haven't seen anyone reporting it leaving yet and it's pretty hard to miss.. atleast when they don't have it behind their secret wall in the shops.
Walter is still in Strasburg, though I’m not sure what his status is. He’s been there for about 2.5 years now. I’ve heard that he’s nearing completion, but I’m not sure how true that is. Like I’ve said before, there’s no rush. I’ve spent the last few months digging for updates and pictures, but sadly I have nothing to show for it. I guess I need to keep on diggin’!

Andrew M

According to the latest update from the SRR shops on another forum, it appears this is the new firebox under construction (not my photo). Depending on how long ago the photo was taken, there's still quite a bit of work that needs to be done. Of course because of the confidentiality agreement between Disney and Strasburg, it's pure speculation on my part, but the overall size and shape appear to be correct (it's upside down here)

file.php

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
According to the latest update from the SRR shops on another forum, it appears this is the new firebox under construction (not my photo). Depending on how long ago the photo was taken, there's still quite a bit of work that needs to be done. Of course because of the confidentiality agreement between Disney and Strasburg, it's pure speculation on my part, but the overall size and shape appear to be correct (it's upside down here)

file.php
Great find! Definitely is the new firebox.

Disone

file.php
But do we know for sure this is Walters? Could it be Rogers? Maybe Walters further along and this is actually for Roger?

Andrew M

But do we know for sure this is Walters? Could it be Rogers? Maybe Walters further along and this is actually for Roger?

Although they’re nearly identical, you wouldn’t build a new firebox for a locomotive that isn’t torn down yet. You never know what other surprises you may find when digging down through decades of repair and patchwork. They may find that that there’s something wrong with the frame and the new firebox design would need to be modified, or that the existing firebox is perfectly fine and doesn’t need to be replaced at all.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
This is Walter's, not Roger's. Unless they started last week, which isn't impossible, work hasn't begun just yet on Roger. Besides, the picture was taken in the area where Walter is located. In fact, you can see a tiny portion of his frame in the photo. Roger is located in the same building, but his stall is on the other side.

Andrew M

Massive crowds is an understatement, that place was packed for a month straight! Hope they get to do it again.

I was able to peek in the shop and see Roger a few weeks back, but there were no pictures allowed. Looked like some minor disassembly had been done, but not too much yet. They've got plenty of time.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Massive crowds is an understatement, that place was packed for a month straight! Hope they get to do it again.

I was able to peek in the shop and see Roger a few weeks back, but there were no pictures allowed. Looked like some minor disassembly had been done, but not too much yet. They've got plenty of time.
So I take it that you didn't get a peak at Walter?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom