News Walter E. Disney overhaul

mikeymouse

What does it take to join that club? Knowing Roger has been out of commission for a while while they work on him inhouse. That Lilly blew a steam **** recently and they were down to a one train operation for a short time? Both Roy's whistle and Rogers whistle have been adjusted recently. Running out to the park to see those freshly painted wheels. PS not necessarily in that order. Just wondering..... :)

With Roger, that explains why they have only been running Lilly and Roy daily.

DisAl

What kind of drinks do they serve at Roy's J Bar?
A highball, of course!!! :rolleyes:
(Sorry about that. I just couldn't resist.....)
For those of you not familiar with the term as it relates to railroading:
Highball Signal is a historic railroad signal. It is a white sphere mounted on a pole and located next to the railroad tracks to signal permission for a train to proceed at full speed, if the ball was at the top of the pole.

Disneyrailfan1996

Incorrect! :)
Add me too! I’m a pretty serious railfan as well and, on a (perhaps) off-topic(ish) note, even had the opportunity to experience a rare occurrence where the trains have been running after fireworks (no idea why or how often it occurs, but it was cool nonetheless) plus once spotted the yellow speeder (maintenance vehicle) out and about one time.

RaveOnEd

Being a new member here, you can also count me in as a serious W.D.W.R.R. railfan, as well as a railfan in general! My brief resume includes being a collector and operator of all gauges (Z to G), Grandfather and Great Grandfather were employees of the B&O, Father was also a model train operator and collector (whose collection now is part of mine!)

I have W.D.W.R.R. models in G, O and HO, working on an abridged version of a Disney layout in HO (got a roughly HO scale sized Disneyland set that was made by Sears in the 1980's or 1990's)

Also, my father knew Ward Kimball, both being lifetime members of the TCA (yes, I did meet Ward a couple times at some train meets, but before I knew his history to ask him tons of questions about Walt!)

So I am glad to add to the number of railfans on here! Plus, I volunteer at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, just across the road from Strasburg Railroad (yep, saw the boiler for Walter E. recently, as well as Lilly Belle just before she was sent back to Orlando!)

Oh, and I did work on the steam engines at the Wilmington and Western Railroad in Delaware, as a Trainman/Fireman...

Last edited:

Movielover

What kind of drinks do they serve at Roy's J Bar?
A highball, of course!!! :rolleyes:
(Sorry about that. I just couldn't resist.....)
For those of you not familiar with the term as it relates to railroading:
Highball Signal is a historic railroad signal. It is a white sphere mounted on a pole and located next to the railroad tracks to signal permission for a train to proceed at full speed, if the ball was at the top of the pole.

giphy.gif

JK! ;)

Disneyrailfan1996

Being a new member here, you can also count me in as a serious W.D.W.R.R. railfan, as well as a railfan in general! My brief resume includes being a collector and operator of all gauges (Z to G), Grandfather and Great Grandfather were employees of the B&O, Father was also a model train operator and collector (whose collection now is part of mine!)

I have W.D.W.R.R. models in G, O and HO, working on an abridged version of a Disney layout in HO (got a roughly HO scale sized Disneyland set that was made by Sears in the 1980's or 1990's)

Also, my father knew Ward Kimball, both being lifetime members of the TCA (yes, I did meet Ward a couple times at some train meets, but before I knew his history to ask him tons of questions about Walt!)

So I am glad to add to the number of railfans on here! Plus, I volunteer at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, just across the road from Strasburg Railroad (yep, saw the boiler for Walter E. recently, as well as Lilly Belle just before she was sent back to Orlando!)

Oh, and I did work on the steam engines at the Wilmington and Western Railroad in Delaware, as a Trainman/Fireman...
It’s nice to see another person who’s worked on or operated trains here as well as another model railroader! While I might not actually work on or drive a historical locomotive, the train at Six Flags Great America, which I drive, is unique and old enough (another story) that it is historical in its own right. I don’t really model anything in particular in any gauge, but I do have a big collection of LEGO and G, Ho (some On30 included), and 3-rail O gauge.
I’m also glad that someone here has the railroad in their family’s blood! My paternal grandfather was a brakeman and an engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad. My maternal grandfather also knew someone who had a miniature railroad in their backyard. Plus my uncle has done some model railroading in O and Ho gauge and another one of my uncles lives close to strausburg (he’s been lucky enough to see Lilly. Not sure if he’s seen Walter, though.)
Perhaps that’s one thing about Disney that brings plenty of people together: Trains.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Since this thread has been bumped, I’ve been wondering about Walter’s status, so I decided to do some digging around. Luckily, I was able to get some updates!

AB7B4A6A-BF6B-4FE3-83DC-4AEA23E925ED.jpeg
This photo is about a year old and nothing new. Just another one of the original boiler, probably before it was put on the flatbed trailer. Notice 2 of the 4 leading wheels on the ground.

Here’s where things get interesting and the updates come into play. The following photos were taken on October 19th. (almost 2 months ago)
550146E8-26C5-434C-8901-5266D8BD82E9.png

Here is Walter’s new boiler. I hate to see the original Dixon go, but I figured he’d get a new one since Lilly did.

DE63ACE2-8FA4-4F10-A296-5045E2BA6AE1.png
Here is Walter’s frame and his tender. Also, his cow catcher is propped up against the wall.

Looks like and hoping progress is moving along well. Not sure if the cab will be new or if they’ll keep the one he had. (don’t think it was the original)

As of now, it looks like it’s going to be late January/early February-late March/early-mid April, but obviously there’s no rush with the WDWRR being closed.

DisneyNeighbor

I would love for them to expand the use of steam trains around WDW. What would be the chances of the them connecting Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge with a few trains. Then you could connect Wilderness Lodge, Camp Grounds and the new resort with a rail line. This would be much better than buses!

twilight mitsuk

I would love for them to expand the use of steam trains around WDW. What would be the chances of the them connecting Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge with a few trains. Then you could connect Wilderness Lodge, Camp Grounds and the new resort with a rail line. This would be much better than buses!
How about more sky buckets

EricsBiscuit

Well there was the Fort Wilderness Railroad but they didn't lay the track well and we all know what happened to RC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom