News Walter E. Disney overhaul

EricsBiscuit

Haha. I guess that tells ya how bad of shape it was in. Also, notice the Roy behind it in the photo.
They got the 5th one as part of a deal, so while they paid a couple thousand (don't remember exact $$$) for each of the others, they only paid like $800 for the 5th. They found out why when Roger went to get a photo with it to commemorate his great deal! :D

Disone

For those who are interested, here is a current photo of the Walter E. Disney at the Strasburg Railroad. You are looking at the boiler, firebox, and the steam dome closest to the cab, which is also the one that the whistle is attached to, on a flatbed trailer.

View attachment 278344

Other than this, I’m not really sure what the status is, in terms of progress. Hopefully everything is going well and is on schedule.
Well..... this is kind of like going to see an old friend or close relative in the hospital, and realizing they're far more sick than you ever thought. It's a little depressing :-(

Disney Drew

Haha yes. I think that he and I are the only ones on the forums who are "WDWRR railfans".
Incorrect! :)
...and add another!

This is what it looked like in 2011 when we did "The Magic behind our Steam Trains Tour" - and it was fantastic - I highly recommend it if you have an interest!!!

Attachments

• Train Tour - Walter E Disney.JPG
    Train Tour - Walter E Disney.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 146

trainplane3

Reallly? Awesome! Do you have any links?
I wish. I lost track of the links about a year ago. It was on a site whose boards had clearly not had a software update in years. I hope it is still around.
I think I found where they used to be at: https://www.burnsland.com/disneyrailroads/viewtopic.php?p=58252#p58252 (should take you to page 4, 3rd post).
The link that post links to is dead, so chances are Disney made the other forum remove it.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
...and add another!

This is what it looked like in 2011 when we did "The Magic behind our Steam Trains Tour" - and it was fantastic - I highly recommend it if you have an interest!!!

I’ve done other tours before but this is one I really want to check out. Have ridden with engineer on other steam trains. Love old trains, they can really transport you back to another era!

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Haha yes. I think that he and I are the only ones on the forums who are "serious WDWRR railfans".
Fixed it. I understand that there are a lot of WDWRR railfans on the forums, and that makes me happy. I was just trying to imply that @EricsBiscuit and I follow the WDWRR much closer than others, so we tend to know more about current operations and stuff that's going on regarding the WDWRR :)

DisAl

The most fun I have had at WDW was on my first Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour. I was the ONLY ONE who had scheduled that day! I got to do everything they allow you to do and had the engineer / guide all to myself for the whole tour. I have done the tour three times - and will do it again - but that first time was the best. The only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to do was ride in the locomotive. :(

JJHale

Count me in too. The train/monorail shed is on my bucket list and probably (for me anyway) the number one attraction at Disney World. Unfortunately, I have never had a chance to go in there.
I was fortunate enough to get a "Behind the Steam" tour for my birthday two years ago. It was a simply amazing. Anyone who is a train buff at all should do this. It was so much fun I would consider doing it again.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
The most fun I have had at WDW was on my first Magic Behind Our Steam Trains tour. I was the ONLY ONE who had scheduled that day! I got to do everything they allow you to do and had the engineer / guide all to myself for the whole tour. I have done the tour three times - and will do it again - but that first time was the best. The only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to do was ride in the locomotive. :(
We're most likely going in May, and I have already saved up some money specifically for the tour. I've been wanting to go on it for years!

Disone

Fixed it. I understand that there are a lot of WDWRR railfans on the forums, and that makes me happy. I was just trying to imply that @EricsBiscuit and I follow the WDWRR much closer than others, so we tend to know more about current operations and stuff that's going on regarding the WDWRR :)

What does it take to join that club? Knowing Roger has been out of commission for a while while they work on him inhouse. That Lilly blew a steam recently and they were down to a one train operation for a short time? Both Roy's whistle and Rogers whistle have been adjusted recently. Running out to the park to see those freshly painted wheels. PS not necessarily in that order. Just wondering..... :)

Biff215

What does it take to join that club? Knowing Roger has been out of commission for a while while they work on him inhouse. That Lilly blew a steam **** recently and they were down to a one train operation for a short time? Both Roy's whistle and Rogers whistle have been adjusted recently. Running out to the park to see those freshly painted wheels. PS not necessarily in that order. Just wondering..... :)
Not sure, but sounds like it might be tougher to get into than Club 33. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom