News Walt Disney World to End Temperature Checks

EricsBiscuit

All of these measures are window dressing and have zero value to "safety" but if the mask makes you feel better then please wear it as long as you wish. Florida is fully open and thank goodness...now we need Disney to wake up . Theme parks are built around revenue and density so I expect Disney to either reduce ALL restrictions slowly over the next 4 month to prep for the 50th on Oct 1. By the time they celebrate everything will be back to normal. Let the hand wringing begin.....
Unfortunately, based off the leaked training material for Disney employees, I’m not hopeful they understand that. WDW has been horribly run the last year plus.

TrojanUSC

All of these measures are window dressing and have zero value to "safety" but if the mask makes you feel better then please wear it as long as you wish. Florida is fully open and thank goodness...now we need Disney to wake up . Theme parks are built around revenue and density so I expect Disney to either reduce ALL restrictions slowly over the next 4 month to prep for the 50th on Oct 1. By the time they celebrate everything will be back to normal. Let the hand wringing begin.....

Indoor masks are actually probably very helpful. Outdoor masks, not so much. Temp checks have been pointless since Day 1.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Temperature checks were of little value. Masks on the other hand have been shown in study after study to have significant value, especially indoors.

AEfx

Temp checks were needed early on before more research was done into the virus. A high temp is just one of many indicators of carrying Covid-19. You can feel the derision just oozing from certain posters. Get a grip. Science is a living field of study, and new information evolves recommendations of behavior.

Yeah, I think there is some confusion - a high fever is definitely a very strong indicator/symptom of COVID (or being sick in general), and that hasn't changed.

The issue that made temp checks minimally effective in a theme park setting is that humans have a huge range of average temperatures. For instance, I run in the 96's usually - if I have a temp of 99+, I'm sick enough to not be able to get out of bed. My husband, on the other hand, runs 99 as an average. It is very hard to have a generic number to say someone is "sick" or not.

Now, they still actually make much better sense in other settings - workplaces, etc., where you go every day. That's because a baseline can be established - you would be comparing your own temp to your own temp. In that case, it is an excellent first indicator of getting sick or not. For some places like this, I actually expect the temp checks to be the last thing go.

mickeymiss

Yeah, I think there is some confusion - a high fever is definitely a very strong indicator/symptom of COVID (or being sick in general), and that hasn't changed.

The issue that made temp checks minimally effective in a theme park setting is that humans have a huge range of average temperatures. For instance, I run in the 96's usually - if I have a temp of 99+, I'm sick enough to not be able to get out of bed. My husband, on the other hand, runs 99 as an average. It is very hard to have a generic number to say someone is "sick" or not.

Now, they still actually make much better sense in other settings - workplaces, etc., where you go every day. That's because a baseline can be established - you would be comparing your own temp to your own temp. In that case, it is an excellent first indicator of getting sick or not. For some places like this, I actually expect the temp checks to be the last thing go.
It also makes more sense to check temperetures for work settings because you're there all day long. Risk will always be lower when you don't have sustained exposure to the same people. I also tend to think people are usually sick enough to stay home once they reach a fever status. Definitely not a must at this point for Disney to check but I will bring my own thermometer. Nothing is more irresponsible to me than entering a public space with a known fever or any other covid symptoms.

disneygeek90

I don't think removing all mandates by October is unreasonable. I think it's inevitable actually. I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to remove them by July. I would just like to see everyone have a chance to get fully vaccinated if they want to and a chance to see how the vaccine is performing. I also want to consider that children are unprotected and having some safeguards for them is as neighborly as getting the vaccine.
The one restriction I absolutely do not see going anywhere in July, and is a big stretch for October is inside masking. I think that may hang around for a while.

spock8113

Window dressing, lipstick on a pig, whatever you want to call it, temperature taking was a simple way to make everyone feel better about trying to find cases of COVID. Just how many people came to the parks with a 100.4 fever? And how many actually had COVID?
I bet the number of asymptomatic guests is far greater than those with temperatures. Now the variants are spreading in Florida faster than anywhere else thanks to spring break and the Governor had to be taken to court to expose that information he is fighting to keep hidden:

Tourism at any cost.
So stop taking everyone's temperature because it is basically useless. Glad to see it ending.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, they haven't. Not cloth masks.

Actually they have. Here is a good article that discusses the current science on this...

greeneyezx143

Summer is coming its to hot outside to be wearing mask I can see wearing them inside but not outside it's been really hot they need to stop the mask for outside

djkidkaz

I think there is proof that some of this stuff like masks are working. Think about how many times you’ve been sick since this started last March? I don’t know about you but I have not been sick at all. Which I am usually very prone to getting a cold numerous times in a year. So I think it’s the masks mixed with stores wiping down shopping carts that has made a huge difference.

Tom P.

The one restriction I absolutely do not see going anywhere in July, and is a big stretch for October is inside masking. I think that may hang around for a while.
I would imagine outdoor masking will be gone before July, but indoor masking will remain. However, unless there is a major negative change in our Covid trajectory, I don't see indoor masks still being around in October.

disneygeek90

I would imagine outdoor masking will be gone before July, but indoor masking will remain. However, unless there is a major negative change in our Covid trajectory, I don't see indoor masks still being around in October.
I just don’t see a fully unmasked HHN or “Boo Bash.” Maybe I’ll be wrong, there’s just too much uncertainty between now and October, especially with the vaccine hesitancy in Florida.

Chi84

Premium Member
The heat has no impact on the decision.
Maybe not, but it has a definite impact on compliance. The weather was unusually hot last week at WDW and many people were completely lowering masks outside, wearing them under their nose or finding some shade to sit and pass around a bottle of water. I didn’t see anyone being admonished.

If WDW increases capacity this summer, I don’t think they’re going to have much success with enforcing mask-wearing outside. Im just basing that opinion on what I actually saw last week - not saying people were in the right to bend the rules.

JD80

“There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.” Per the NYT. The outdoor masking should be ended tomorrow.

Not sure anyone ever was worried about wearing a mask walking on a path or down the street. Even in NJ when things were bad last year, no one wore masks jogging/riding bikes/walking on the street.

(No one meaning very very few people.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom