News Walt Disney World to End Temperature Checks

mickeymiss

Temperature checks have not been and will not be an accurate indicator since it’s a symptom that can be easily masked.

Is there really anything left to say on this particular topic? Temp checks are ending as reported by @The Visionary Soul. End of discussion. Please stop with the constant Covid bickering.
I never can get my fevers down with medicine. Who are these wizards? 😉😊

Ripken10

Early on it seemed like a fever was one of the first symptoms. Now we know that it's not a great indicator, and a lot of other countries were using temp checks to enter certain areas too so it made sense something like theme parks would roll it out. It was fine, it wasn't too much of a nuisance aside from busy nights at Disney Springs. It didn't hurt, but I'm not sad to see them go.
From what I gather with my line of work where we worked with some medical professionals...this was more pushed by politicians then medical professionals. Even before the onset of this, they were telling groups it wasn't necessary (it was theater) but the politicians pushed for it.

Now I didn't work with every medical professional, I can just say from the experience we had working with school systems and the medical professionals they talked to about what requirements they should have. It was the politicians (and I use that word a bit broadly...not just political leaders, but also administrators of the school systems) that overruled the medical professionals in requiring it to occur.

Giss Neric

From what I gather with my line of work where we worked with some medical professionals...this was more pushed by politicians then medical professionals. Even before the onset of this, they were telling groups it wasn't necessary (it was theater) but the politicians pushed for it.

Now I didn't work with every medical professional, I can just say from the experience we had working with school systems and the medical professionals they talked to about what requirements they should have. It was the politicians (and I use that word a bit broadly...not just political leaders, but also administrators of the school systems) that overruled the medical professionals in requiring it to occur.
What about other countries that does temperature checks? Is it also all government?

richiejv

I’ve often wondered about these temperature checks and their accuracy. Admittedly, WDW might have better tech, but as an attempt to make us feel safe to head back to London and go to the office again, my employer has temperature checks.

Every day I go in, my temperature is allegedly 31 Celsius (about 87 Fahrenheit). Which, clinically speaking, means I’m basically dead.

JD80

Do you think they would get rid of masks so soon after saying that they don't plan on changing much? This is starting to stress me out. We literally go in a week and masks were a must for us.

I wouldn't worry. I can't see Disney going maskless at the drop of a hat. They'll probably announce several weeks in advance, if not 30+ days.

TransportationGuy

My best guess would be that we’ll see distracting reduced to 3 ft around a month from now. Coincidentally, this will coincide with several thousand new cast having been trained in their new positions as well as the end of school/beginning of summer period. This timeline would also provide a natural point to roughly doubling park capacity. I would expect to see barriers in place for much of the rest of the year for any type of closely confined space as they are a sunk cost and have already been employed. From WDW’s perspective, they don’t hurt anything and they can continue to be seen as have a very conservative response and extremely protect over guest and cast safety

Castmbr

All of these measures are window dressing and have zero value to "safety" but if the mask makes you feel better then please wear it as long as you wish. Florida is fully open and thank goodness...now we need Disney to wake up . Theme parks are built around revenue and density so I expect Disney to either reduce ALL restrictions slowly over the next 4 month to prep for the 50th on Oct 1. By the time they celebrate everything will be back to normal. Let the hand wringing begin.....

EngineerMom

So not because I am worried about COVID but it is a nice idea of asking people who are sick not to come to the parks and a temperature check for the parks helps with that.
This last winter less folks got sick in general. In our family no on got sick not even a cold all winter......so would I like to go to the parks and not get sick that would be nice.

I have seen people post when they put in the temperature check, now if my kid is sick we will have to miss the park - YES. I have been sick on vacation, it stinks but I stayed back in my room.

Walt Disney World will be ending both Guest and Cast temperature checks in the coming weeks. The last day for Employee (Cast & Imagineer) temperature checks will be on May 7th and May 15th will be the last day checking the temperatures of Guests. This is most likely in response to Orange County, Florida’s Chief Medical Officer, who said not only are they a complete waste of time, but also a misuse of resources since many parks are using qualified medical personnel or security to conduct such checks.

Updated with Official Notice from Disney on dates.
Now lets' end the masks. It's Way too hot to walk around with these on.

AFoodie

Walt Disney World will be ending both Guest and Cast temperature checks in the coming weeks. The last day for Employee (Cast & Imagineer) temperature checks will be on May 7th and May 15th will be the last day checking the temperatures of Guests. This is most likely in response to Orange County, Florida’s Chief Medical Officer, who said not only are they a complete waste of time, but also a misuse of resources since many parks are using qualified medical personnel or security to conduct such checks.

Updated with Official Notice from Disney on dates.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but this is disappointing for me because it means people crowding is coming back soon. The thing I’ve loved about social distancing is people not invading my personal space ...

AFoodie

How many people have temperatures without feeling horrible? Would those people be up for going to the parks? We were a dying breed before covid 🤣We avoid public places when we are sick.My husband got sick at disney in 2019 and we missed out on our last day at the parks. He didn't have a fever and it was a mild cold. I'm hopeful that more people would take symptoms seriously now than they did before covid. Wishful thinking perhaps.
Thank you for being responsible and staying away when you’re not feeling well. Pre-Covid, many people would just go anyway, and spend all day coughing & sneezing in close proximity to others. I wish that this experience would at least teach ppl if they don’t feel well, they should wear a mask & try to distance themselves from others. But that’s probably wishful thinking on my part 😒

mickeymiss

All of these measures are window dressing and have zero value to "safety" but if the mask makes you feel better then please wear it as long as you wish. Florida is fully open and thank goodness...now we need Disney to wake up . Theme parks are built around revenue and density so I expect Disney to either reduce ALL restrictions slowly over the next 4 month to prep for the 50th on Oct 1. By the time they celebrate everything will be back to normal. Let the hand wringing begin.....
I don't think removing all mandates by October is unreasonable. I think it's inevitable actually. I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to remove them by July. I would just like to see everyone have a chance to get fully vaccinated if they want to and a chance to see how the vaccine is performing. I also want to consider that children are unprotected and having some safeguards for them is as neighborly as getting the vaccine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom