Walt Disney World to build 2,000-room Hotel: Disney’s Art of Animation Resort

Tom

Beta Return
"Shotgun" refers to a long, skinny house that's only one-room wide but multiple rooms deep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_house

And I hadn't really thought of them building the suites like that, but it's feasable on the buildings not-yet built. There would most likely be too much plumbing work involved to retrofit the two existing shells.

So if you were to look at the video out there where the guy goes inside one of the existing buildings and you can see straight through to the room on the other side, that's what a "shotgun style" suite would look like there.

I think I read that all the regular hotel rooms would be in one section, but they could conceivably make all of the buildings 2/3 suites and 1/3 hotel rooms. The suites would be on the two wings facing the courtyard (with the outdoor walkways facing away from the courtyard) and then the regular hotel rooms (with their regular outdoor walkways) could be on both sides of the third wing that points out the back of the buidling. That way you could have both suites and rooms with all four themes, and not limit the Guests staying in rooms to only the one theme.

Hmmm...

-Rob

Well, if they built shotgun style rooms in the suite buildings, then the rendering could actually become reality, because only one side of each guest wing would require the exterior corridor/balcony, while the Master Bedroom end could have exterior windows looking out. If that's the case, these suite are going to be EXPENSIVE!

You're right about the pre-built structures. They're going to have side-by-side rooms, regardless of whether they're suites or standard rooms. Too much to tear out at this point to make them shotgun style.

Do you have a link to this video you're referring to?

Rob562

Well, if they built shotgun style rooms in the suite buildings, then the rendering could actually become reality, because only one side of each guest wing would require the exterior corridor/balcony, while the Master Bedroom end could have exterior windows looking out. If that's the case, these suite are going to be EXPENSIVE!

You're right about the pre-built structures. They're going to have side-by-side rooms, regardless of whether they're suites or standard rooms. Too much to tear out at this point to make them shotgun style.

Do you have a link to this video you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

At the 45-second mark the guy enters one of the empty rooms that had a door open. In it you can see the drain pipes for the tubs, toilets and sinks (left to right) for the back-to-back rooms.

If the new buildings' suites were built shotgun-style, he'd have entered the living room area of the room, and the room beyond the pipes would be the bedroom, with a flat wall and large window on the opposite end, no door in that far wall.

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

At the 45-second mark the guy enters one of the empty rooms that had a door open. In it you can see the drain pipes for the tubs, toilets and sinks (left to right) for the back-to-back rooms.

If the new buildings' suites were built shotgun-style, he'd have entered the living room area of the room, and the room beyond the pipes would be the bedroom, with a flat wall and large window on the opposite end, no door in that far wall.

-Rob

Yikes. Scary place. They definitely have a lot of work to do in order to make those existing buildings livable. I mean, beyond the obvious carpet and wallpaper. Several rooms don't have doors, so I can only imagine the amount of mold that's growing in those places that will have to be bleached out before they can do anything.

They may have saved a ton of money by abandoning the project back then, but they've cost themselves a bigger ton more by not protecting those buildings and closing them up properly. The bills from the mold remediation and insect exterminator contractors will be huge.

And I agree Rob, it clearly shows a standard room layout with back-to-back restrooms like the other Values. If these existing buildings become suites, they'll have to be the kind like Music, with side-by-side rooms.

flavious27

Yikes. Scary place. They definitely have a lot of work to do in order to make those existing buildings livable. I mean, beyond the obvious carpet and wallpaper. Several rooms don't have doors, so I can only imagine the amount of mold that's growing in those places that will have to be bleached out before they can do anything.

They may have saved a ton of money by abandoning the project back then, but they've cost themselves a bigger ton more by not protecting those buildings and closing them up properly. The bills from the mold remediation and insect exterminator contractors will be huge.

And I agree Rob, it clearly shows a standard room layout with back-to-back restrooms like the other Values. If these existing buildings become suites, they'll have to be the kind like Music, with side-by-side rooms.

Well it matters how much it would have cost to demo it and build a new versus making it ultra kosher and finishing it. The bean-counters would have went over it during the planning process.

dclick4968

I stayed at POP this past week. Below are pics of the new resort. If you're looking at Animation from POP, the construction offices/trailers are at the far left. They have some utilities coming out of the ground towards the left of the property and the main hall has a lot of action (between the building and the lake)...looks like they are clearing land, etc. There is NO work being done to the right side (where the vacant buildings are).

Also, I spoke to a maintenance guy on the POP property...looked a little more official than the "regular" maintenance guys. I asked him about the rooms and the buildings. He said that the buildings already constructed were staying the same and they were NOT tearing them down, but the new buildings were going to be different. He said he didn't know the exact dimensions of the new rooms, but knew that there would be three rooms...two bedrooms and a living area between them. Take if for what it's worth!

Pics below are LEFT to RIGHT (as you're looking at the site from the POP).
1109840969_FZTFa-M.jpg

1109841042_4DofS-M.jpg

1109841136_BdfHa-M.jpg

1109841168_RN7kV-M.jpg

1109841210_srQxK-M.jpg

1109841326_GoYz2-M.jpg

1108819618_Mtfhc-M.jpg

1109841497_xgV88-M.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
I stayed at POP this past week. Below are pics of the new resort. If you're looking at Animation from POP, the construction offices/trailers are at the far left. They have some utilities coming out of the ground towards the left of the property and the main hall has a lot of action (between the building and the lake)...looks like they are clearing land, etc. There is NO work being done to the right side (where the vacant buildings are).

Also, I spoke to a maintenance guy on the POP property...looked a little more official than the "regular" maintenance guys. I asked him about the rooms and the buildings. He said that the buildings already constructed were staying the same and they were NOT tearing them down, but the new buildings were going to be different. He said he didn't know the exact dimensions of the new rooms, but knew that there would be three rooms...two bedrooms and a living area between them. Take if for what it's worth!

Pics below are LEFT to RIGHT (as you're looking at the site from the POP).

Very nice. Thank you for the photos (btw, do you have biggerized versions anywhere?)

Interesting comment by the maint guy. 3 rooms in a "shotgun" style would be strange, since you'd walk through a bedroom to get to the living room or the other bedroom. But 3 rooms side-by-side making a suite would eat up a lot of space and reduce the number of suites you could fit in each building.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Wow pretty large cranes. Hopefully they aren't gonna be used just to remove the numbers.

Probably there to set the steel for the new buildings. Plus any additional utility piping they didn't do long ago.

Tom

Beta Return
Tom I Need to know is does the numbers of the abandoned resort has been removed let?:confused:

I'm not sure Jeany. The photos we saw showed that the numbers are still there. I'm sure they'll be gone soon since they're not needed for the Animation Resort.

Rob562

Hmmm... That's almost like he's describing a 2-bedroom DVC unit... I wonder if they'd build Value Resort-sized versions of a 2-bedroom lockoff where they can rent out the units individually as a 1-bedroom suite and a regular hotel room, or combine them into a 2-bedroom suite. Then in the buildings with suites, you'd have a mix of suites and regular hotel rooms.

Hmmm....

-Rob

Tom

Beta Return
Hmmm... That's almost like he's describing a 2-bedroom DVC unit... I wonder if they'd build Value Resort-sized versions of a 2-bedroom lockoff where they can rent out the units individually as a 1-bedroom suite and a regular hotel room, or combine them into a 2-bedroom suite. Then in the buildings with suites, you'd have a mix of suites and regular hotel rooms.

Hmmm....

-Rob

Hmmm....indeed.

flavious27

Hmmm....

-Rob

They will sell them as suites but they won't be dvc units, it would turn the program upside down.

Tom

Beta Return
They will sell them as suites but they won't be dvc units, it would turn the program upside down.

I'm very anxious to see how they're priced. I'm guessing significantly more than Music's "suites" if they really are like what's being described.

MMFanCipher

Sure, this is great to finish this project, but where are all the
post-apocalyptic conventions going to be held?! :p

Inquiring minds want to know!

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom