Walt Disney World now twinned with....err Swindon?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Congratulations to Rebecca. :wave:

And
012.gif
to all you nay-sayers out there. :D

HDS

Keep the hat, give us Billie Piper (Rose). =D All hell will take David Tennant too! 10/Rose!

jakeman

This is just a really lame publicity stunt. It seems obvious to me that the sole purpose of this is to get WDW in the news specificly in the news of one of WDW's favorite segments the UK. And no it is not Lake Buena Vista it is WDW they made that abundantly clear in the article. It's not a good sign to see Disney stoop to this level.
You're upset that Disney is promoting itself?

Disney gets to promote itself further in England and on my next trip to Epcot I get to learn about a lesser known town in England. Why is that a bad thing?

Seems like you are looking for a reason to be angry at them. :shrug:

Philo

Well congratulations to you Wilson-uk (well, your gf really)!

Do I think this is a good idea for Disney? No, I can't see quite why this was done and I think it will just cause people to laugh and ask .

Would I have entered if I had a little more motivation (and good things to say about my home town...). Yes!

Wilson-uk

thank you all for the positive feedback! will pass the messages on!

In regards to the prize package:

Swindon will get a Disneyworld Themed party in Jan for 150 people.
We will be flying over to Disneyworld in Feb to attend the twinning ceremony and rebecca will be unveiling the plaque in Epcot. she will also be bringing home the plaque for Swindon.

Package contains a completely free holiday for 4. not sure who we will be flying with or what hotel we will be staying in yet.

She is currently on a train heading to Bristol to appear on tonight's news.

cdunbar

thank you all for the positive feedback! will pass the messages on!

In regards to the prize package:

Swindon will get a Disneyworld Themed party in Jan for 150 people.
We will be flying over to Disneyworld in Feb to attend the twinning ceremony and rebecca will be unveiling the plaque in Epcot. she will also be bringing home the plaque for Swindon.

Package contains a completely free holiday for 4. not sure who we will be flying with or what hotel we will be staying in yet.

She is currently on a train heading to Bristol to appear on tonight's news.
Awesome and as to who all is going I think it said her niece and nephew would be joining y'all. So Rebecca, You, and the two kiddies would make four! I hope you have a great trip! It sounds like you will have a blast!:) Wish her luck on the news tonight from all of us here on Magic...:wave:

Bolna

Congratulations Rebecca and Wilson-UK! How exciting!

When will the ceremony be? I am in WDW in February and it would be fun to see! :wave:

And by the way to anyone wondering about Swindon. I truly recommend the Thursday Next books by JAsper Fforde where you can learn about the seven wonders of Swindon: http://www.jasperfforde.com/swindon/7wonders.html

CAPTAIN HOOK

Perhaps Disney will provide financial support for the football (soccer) team - let's face it - they need all the help (and Disney Magic) they can get :ROFLOL:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I can not believe anyone is against this. Disney does contest all the time in the USA. I think that Disney is getting a great deal on free press time in UK and that is what it was all about. More press time in UK, more UK visitors. For those that say, “I don’t get it”, it’s all about getting people to visit Walt Disney World. Congratulations to the winning town.

protiius

congratulations on winning and getting a trip out to wdw...

still think it's a very strange comp to have had, can't see any correlation or similarities between the two places (which is generally why places are twinned, right?)...will be intrigued to see what they are going to put in the swindon exhibition, an exhibition of roundabouts? :shrug:

Wilson-uk

wouldnt imagine it would be about roundabouts. yes we have one on every road here and the "magic roundabout" is crazy and avoided on your journey if possible.

I would have a guess they would focus more on the industrial history of swindon with the Great Western Railway and its links with Isumbard Brunel.

We havnt been given any details on the travel dates apart from the holiday must be started between the 15-21 Feb.

stuart

Absolutely Gutted. I didn't know there was even such a competition until it was in our local paper someone from Perth had put in an entry - but by then it was too late. If only our family and another one we often come to the world with had known - Perth would have been in with a much bigger shout. However, at least it wasn't twinned with dundee!

We Are Perth. Coming every year since 1995!

s8film40

You're upset that Disney is promoting itself?

Disney gets to promote itself further in England and on my next trip to Epcot I get to learn about a lesser known town in England. Why is that a bad thing?

Seems like you are looking for a reason to be angry at them. :shrug:

No, I'm not angry at all, and I'm happy for the people of this town. I am disappointed in Disney. Disney is a large corporate company and as such employs a marketing dept.. This department is supposed to come up with creative ways to market the Disney businesses to their customers. One would expect to see an even higher level of creativity than normal being that Disney at least used to be considered a creative company. Obviously the intention of this was to get their name in the news. There are so many other more creative less obvious ways to do this. Twinning a city is something a small town tourist board might come up with, it's a very unoriginal way to gain publicity. If I had a department dedicated to marketing and this is what they came up with, I would fire them.

jakeman

No, I'm not angry at all, and I'm happy for the people of this town. I am disappointed in Disney. Disney is a large corporate company and as such employs a marketing dept.. This department is supposed to come up with creative ways to market the Disney businesses to their customers. One would expect to see an even higher level of creativity than normal being that Disney at least used to be considered a creative company. Obviously the intention of this was to get their name in the news. There are so many other more creative less obvious ways to do this. Twinning a city is something a small town tourist board might come up with, it's a very unoriginal way to gain publicity. If I had a department dedicated to marketing and this is what they came up with, I would fire them.
Then what is your idea?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom