Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Ariel484

I saw that, too...

I actually think they can pull it off to have the start be the same (or the same as the half) and then turn left on World Drive and go through DHS (eliminate the loop through Epcot at the start) and the onto AK and run the rest of the course backwards - use the same entrance into Epcot as the half. The milegae looks close and they could use Osceola Pkwy to make up ground. It cuts out the part running through the resorts, but it also looks close to landing you in MK near mile 20.

I'd be shocked if they moved MK to later in the race...I always thought part of the reasoning for the current route was to get runners in and out of MK before it opened. :shrug:

I wonder why they're making a course video this year...have they done that before?

Mad Stitch

I saw that, too...

I actually think they can pull it off to have the start be the same (or the same as the half) and then turn left on World Drive and go through DHS (eliminate the loop through Epcot at the start) and the onto AK and run the rest of the course backwards - use the same entrance into Epcot as the half. The milegae looks close and they could use Osceola Pkwy to make up ground. It cuts out the part running through the resorts, but it also looks close to landing you in MK near mile 20.

Now your thinking like me. ;) A video would be cool rather then a boring map.

MCC1

RunDisney does their room bookings as a travel agency that has a prenegotiated rate. At least that seems to be the case to me, as some of my past bookings through them came through as from Walt Disney Travel Company, which is more in line with booking a package, and not a room only reservations. But it works just like a normal AP/GP/FL Res discount, in that they only have so many rooms.

The discount they offer? Not such a discount. If I recall from past events where they posted the prices online, the discount ended up being less than 5%. So you can almost definitely do better with AAA, or most other discounts you may be eligible for. I'd call central reservations, and try to book the rooms you want using AAA and see how they compare pricewise. If you can't get them, or don't like the prices, either don't book them or cancel those. If you do like them, then call back RunDisney and cancel.

Now of course I can't remember which forum I read it on, but it was expressed pretty strongly that when booking through RunDisney they will ask you how many 'runners' are in the room, and then charge a surcharge per runner...whereas if you book directly through Disney Reservations and don't mention the race, you'll end up with a better rate...verified as people who called and changed their bookings....if I can recall which forum & thread I saw it on I'll post...

Witchy Chick

Thanks for all the "discount" room info!! I appreciate it!

Now of course I can't remember which forum I read it on, but it was expressed pretty strongly that when booking through RunDisney they will ask you how many 'runners' are in the room, and then charge a surcharge per runner...whereas if you book directly through Disney Reservations and don't mention the race, you'll end up with a better rate...verified as people who called and changed their bookings....if I can recall which forum & thread I saw it on I'll post...

Yes, for each room I booked yesterday, I was asked if anyone in that room was participating. Room 1 (my parents and aunt/uncle) -- no runners. Room 2 (my in-laws) -- might be doing the 5K, but have not signed up yet. Room 3 (me, DH, the kids) -- DH doing the marathon, I'm doing the 5K; both of us are signed up. Since we're all in the Poly (now), I'll have to check our invoices to see any price differences between the three rooms.

I saw that, too...

Me three!! I'll have to let my hubs know. :)

Witchy

Mad Stitch

I'm sticking to my backwards prediction but along the lines of the 2013 route speculation, has a race ever gone through the Fort Wilderness area? A friend was camping there once and couldn't leave when he wanted because the road out was closed for a race.

lukacseven

I'm sticking to my backwards prediction but along the lines of the 2013 route speculation, has a race ever gone through the Fort Wilderness area? A friend was camping there once and couldn't leave when he wanted because the road out was closed for a race.

I believe that was for Ironman Florida 70.3. The swim was in Bay Lake and the transition area was near Ft. Wilderness.

dreamfinder

Pretty much true. I crashed in a room with family for the Princess half last year, and they tried to charge more since I was in the room (beyond the normal $15 per extra adult). I do believe that after it was pointed out we could cancel and just book it through CRO and not pay the extra fee the said something to the effect of "Oh yeah, don't worry about that, we will take it off your charge."

Ariel484

Hmm...on the Speedway and through ESPN Wild World of Sports (where the mile 20 surprise is)? Those are the big changes I saw.

ETA: 3 thoughts...

1. Love the 20th Anniversary Logo
2. I'm really, REALLY nervous to run on the Speedway. I hope that it isn't super sloped/banked
3. I definitely had myself convinced that the course would go through New Fantasyland, so I'm pretty disappointed to see that it doesn't

I'd be interested in more details as to how we "get to the Magic Kingdom faster"...they seem to skim over that part in the beginning.

ETA again: Map posted.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/wdwmarathon/2013/2013-WDW-Course-Map.pdf

NOT happy. They took out the early-morning run through Epcot. :cry: That was my favorite part of the race. At least they took out the out-and-back at mile 20/21 from previous years.

lukacseven

....Also cut out the loop through Epcot at the start. I liked running through the main entrance and through the park in the morning.

Mad Stitch

Hmm...on the Speedway and through ESPN Wild World of Sports (where the mile 20 surprise is)? Those are the big changes I saw.

ETA: 3 thoughts...

1. Love the 20th Anniversary Logo
2. I'm really, REALLY nervous to run on the Speedway. I hope that it isn't super sloped/banked
3. I definitely had myself convinced that the course would go through New Fantasyland, so I'm pretty disappointed to see that it doesn't

I'd be interested in more details as to how we "get to the Magic Kingdom faster"...they seem to skim over that part in the beginning.

We "get to the Magic Kingdom faster" because the marathon no longer runs through Epcot first. We run straight to the Magic Kingdom from the start line in the Epcot parking lot.

I don’t think we will run on the banked part of the speedway track, it looked like we run on the infield and the flat track apron.

The out and back was eliminated with the addition of the WWoS. It looks like mile 20 was in the stadium. I’m wondering if that’s the surprise or there will be something in addition. They will probably have the runners up on the scoreboard video screen.

Ariel484

We "get to the Magic Kingdom" faster because the marathon no longer runs through Epcot first. We run straight to the Magic Kingdom from the start line in the Epcot parking lot.

I don’t think we will run on the banked part of the speedway track, it looked like we run on the infield and the flat track apron.

The out and back was eliminated with the addition of the WWoS. It looks like mile 20 was in the stadium. I’m wondering if that’s the surprise or there will be something in addition. They will probably have the runners up on the scoreboard video screen.

Yeah, I see those now that the map is up. :wave: I think we were editing/posting at the same time!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We "get to the Magic Kingdom" faster because the marathon no longer runs through Epcot first. We run straight to the Magic Kingdom from the start line in the Epcot parking lot.

Here's my guess...it will use the scoreboard....but display our names as well, using our timing chips.

I don't think that it's the big surprise though. From the looks of the map, mile 20 is just as you are about to leave WWoS.

lukacseven

At least they took out the out-and-back at mile 20/21 from previous years.

Hate to disappoint you, but if you check a map, the out and back is still there, it's just gotten about 3 miles longer, because that's the same road you take to enter WWOS and the same road you follow out and onto DHS. That could be the new sucky part of the course.

Ariel484

Hate to disappoint you, but if you check a map, the out and back is still there, it's just gotten about 3 miles longer, because that's the same road you take to enter WWOS and the same road you follow out and onto DHS. That could be the new sucky part of the course.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Kristia

Overall, I like the new course but I am really going to miss the early run through Epcot :cry: That was one of my favorite parts. Running on the race track will be neat, especially for my husband. I am hoping that the out and back doesn't feel as bad since running through the WWOS will break it up a bit rather than just running out and turning around. It will be nice getting to the MK in 5 miles rather than 10+!

Mad Stitch

:ROFLOL:

Just saw the map for the first time. Yep, they basically traded the first run through Epcot for the WWoS.

Here's my guess...it will use the scoreboard....but display our names as well, using our timing chips.

I don't think that it's the big surprise though. From the looks of the map, mile 20 is just as you are about to leave WWoS.
Notice how everything between miles 19 and 20 is highlighted as the “Mile 20 Spectacular” though. They could have a lot planned for that stretch I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom