Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Texas84

Afterwards we watched the Falcons miracle win and ordered a pizza. Tried to watch the Texans but didn't make it. I woke up at 8pm, got a Gatorade and water and went back to sleep. Monday went to T-Rex for a cheeseburger (so good), did some shopping and got in the car for the 6 hour drive home.

Last year I said I would never do this again. I'll see how the Double Dumbo goes before thinking about Goofy. Right now I don't see it happening. We're signed up for the Atlanta Publix half on St. Patrick's Day. Congrats to everyone! That weekend was almost as tough as the ToT. :D

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
It looks like they stopped the clock around the 8 hour mark...I'm not seeing any times over that. about 5-6000 people did not finish that race in some fashion, so that's a lot.

Mickey&Minnie

^^I kept looking for myself in your pics because I saw the same people while I was running (the Snow White girl, the crazy tinkerbell man) I'm sure I was around you at some point. I walked and even sat around the "W" tent for a little while but nerves really started to sink in so I decided to leisurely stroll to my corral (which was G too so we may have seen each other there too)

Mad Stitch

Did anyone see the guy at the International Gateway entrance to Epcot dressed up in his elaborate fairy costume? He wasn't running, just posing for pictures with runners. I heard a woman say to her boyfriend/husband “Hey look honey a… fairy?” I yelled over to her “That’s no fairy that I recognize.” She laughed at that. Creepy. :confused:

LindsayLoves

As we exited MK my Garmin went to low battery mode. I forgot to charge it. Idiot. I think it went about mile 10.

Ah! I know the Garmin isn't the be-all, end-all but I have to say that is one of my biggest race anxieties. Having anything happen to my Garmin during the race would drive me nuts, especially at Disney because they don't have time tracking at every mile.

Also, kudos to staying with Brandi with her cramped feet. I offered to stay with my brother several times but he insisted I go on ahead at the halfway point without him.

Mr mom

Ah! I know the Garmin isn't the be-all, end-all but I have to say that is one of my biggest race anxieties. Having anything happen to my Garmin during the race would drive me nuts, especially at Disney because they don't have time tracking at every mile.

Also, kudos to staying with Brandi with her cramped feet. I offered to stay with my brother several times but he insisted I go on ahead at the halfway point without him.

I hate to admit that because of the way I view my running etc, I would have a hard time altering my pace to wait for someone, likewise I am not sure if I could tune it up to keep up with someone else. I am afraid that running with me would not be fun because I am pretty much a loner.

fmingo36

Back on Osceola headed to DHS. As we approached DHS we could see the sweepers headed towards WWoS and Brandi got nervous. A runner told her not to worry. The volunteers were holding large bottles and yelling 'showers!' We took every opportunity and it felt great! Turned into DHS and I had to stop running. I was feeling dizzy and I think the heat was getting to me. The wet socks were making the blisters worse. Stopped in DHS and got me an ice cold Coke. Yes I did. The official photographers got a pic with me and my Coke. It was awesome but hard to swallow. After DHS we stopped at a med tent for some tylenol. Helped me a lot and I could have gone back to running but at this point Brandi's feet were cramping and she couldn't run. In fact I wanted to run. But this was her marathon so I stayed with her. I could tell she was hurting bad and I was trying to be supportive. We got passed by the 7:00 pace group near Electric Umbrella and she decided she was going to run across the finish no matter what. We saw this wonderful sight and I said "Go!"
Marathon2013016_zps20d01730.jpg

Marathon2013017_zpse4ef2e00.jpg

Thanks for posting pictures Mark!

It's too bad Mile 20 Spectacular was kind of a let down but the marathon medal is... oh so sweet!

Kristia

Nice trip report! I have yet to look at my pics yet. I am so bummed I missed the meet and greet! I walked around W for a little while but didn't see anyone I recognized. Next time we need signs I guess! @Ariel484 - Ugh! I look horrible! What is with my big head?! :eek: This marathon was def not my most photogenic one! If ever there was such a thing! My full trip will report will be on the way soon. Got in late last night and am still trying to recover. Has anyone looked at your official photos yet? My ones from ASI in 2011 were so much better! We had a ton of pictures last time. Not sure if all photos are available yet but there are no photos of us crossing the finish at the marathon. What's up with that? Don't they just keep the camera going? There are 3 provisional pictures but none of us.

Ariel484

@Kristia should I take it down?? :) LOL!

I'm totally with you on the official photos...there are some that I like so I'm actually interested in getting the package but there were definitely a lot more last year.

Kristia

I'm totally with you on the official photos...there are some that I like so I'm actually interested in getting the package but there were definitely a lot more last year.
Lol! Ugh...you can leave it up...its just an awful picture of me lol! I had a lot of those this time around! :D

LindsayLoves

I hate to admit that because of the way I view my running etc, I would have a hard time altering my pace to wait for someone, likewise I am not sure if I could tune it up to keep up with someone else. I am afraid that running with me would not be fun because I am pretty much a loner.

I have to admit it was tough for me to run with my brother -I train alone 100% of the time so its not natural for me to have someone right next to me during a race. My brother joked that we should do brother and sister t-shirts next time (people think we're a couple all the time and its just creepy) but his shirt would have an arrow pointing forward instead of sideways because I was rarely right next to him, usually ahead a bit.

fmingo36

Nice trip report! I have yet to look at my pics yet. I am so bummed I missed the meet and greet! I walked around W for a little while but didn't see anyone I recognized. Next time we need signs I guess! @Ariel484 - Ugh! I look horrible! What is with my big head?! :eek: This marathon was def not my most photogenic one! If ever there was such a thing! My full trip will report will be on the way soon. Got in late last night and am still trying to recover. Has anyone looked at your official photos yet? My ones from ASI in 2011 were so much better! We had a ton of pictures last time. Not sure if all photos are available yet but there are no photos of us crossing the finish at the marathon. What's up with that? Don't they just keep the camera going? There are 3 provisional pictures but none of us.

Brightroom does a horrible job compared to ASI in regards to photos. I complained about this before but it looks like Disney is starting to use Brightroom exclusively. :(

JillC LI

When I ran by it was 7-8 minutes before park opening and people were lining up:

I've heard they send runners through the fastpass area of the queue.

I kind of wish I had waited (how often do you get to ride a roller coaster in the middle of a marathon?!) but I'm truly not sure how shaky it would have made me had I ridden it. :( Oh, and I also heard people rode Rock 'n' Rollercoaster in the Studios - no way could I have survived that one at mile 23/24. :confused:

My legs are shaky coming off a coaster under the best of circumstances! I'd never divert course in a marathon for a ride. Maybe a shorter distance race though.

I'm surprised that they don't post times at each mile.

And yes, great Race Report Tex, and great job motivating Brandi through the race. I have never run with anyone except my hubby or dad on their bikes. I always get the set the pace. That said, I still really want to run with some of you folks sometime!

GoofyRacer11

Awwww man! I was standing right next to you guys and didn't realize it! Sorry bout that. Glad to hear everyone did well!

My uncle told me that when he was walking through world showcase to meet us for lunch, he saw one of the runners still trying to finish stop at the American pavilion and bought a funnel cake.

Texas84

I have to give her credit. When I got dizzy at DHS she wouldn't leave me. But this was her race. I already had one. I'm lucky the tylenol worked and I could coach her at the end.

I think the photos look pretty good this year. Will definitely be buying.

Awwww man! I was standing right next to you guys and didn't realize it! Sorry bout that. Glad to hear everyone did well!

My uncle told me that when he was walking through world showcase to meet us for lunch, he saw one of the runners still trying to finish stop at the American pavilion and bought a funnel cake.
I'll have to post the pic with me in DHS with my delicious fountain Coke. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom