Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

FerretAfros

I made it back home after Dopey #8 (#9? I'm still not sure whether the virtual counts), and got 11 hours of sleep last night, so I'm finally starting to feel like a real person again. For a variety of reasons, this Marathon Weekend was different from the ones in the past, but still a lot of fun, and it just felt great to have it back. In a weird way, Marathon Weekend feels like going to homecoming, with all those familiar faces you see every year, even though you don't actually 99% of them.

I had a good race weekend, and somehow managed to break my Dopey PR by about a minute and a half, without even thinking about it until today. I ran the 5K and 10K with a friend, which was a new experience for me; while it was fun to have some company and get to see the excitement of a new runner, I also hadn't planned on how much mental energy it takes to constantly communicate your race plan as you're going along, weaving between people, planning walk breaks, and determining character stops. The Half gave me an opportunity to run my own race and keep my legs light and fresh. The Full was a bit of a challenge, with the added pressure to get as far as possible before the heat came into play, but I managed to outrun the sun and make it off the worst parts of the course before they began to get too hot. I really lucked out; I think if I had hit Western Way about 5 minutes later, my pace would have had to be way slower, but I managed to stay in the shade nearly the entire time and finish just a few seconds faster than my "best possible scenario" goal.

Some thoughts about the weekend, in no particular order:
  • The merchandise line at the expo was insane on Wednesday. I waited close to 2 hours, before giving up and just having my friend (who arrived early and was waiting inside) buy stuff for me without getting a good look at it. With how many times they've done these weekends, you'd think they'd have a better system in place by now. The demand is clearly there; Disney leaving money on the table by with the self-inflicted merchandise shortages that lead to the crazy lines and eBay rushes (this isn't a supply chain issue, it's been increasingly bad since around the time the runDisney branding went into effect)
  • I actually didn't mind the new pre-race security setup. The buses dropped off at the park bus stops, rather than in the Journey Lot, so the walk wasn't that much longer than previous years, and the whole process seemed to be faster than the old system of checking bags by hand. There were several bottlenecks along the walk for the 5K, but having the grass option open for the other races eliminated them (and provided a great shortcut)
  • The post-race transportation for the 5K and 10K was great. In previous years, the course blocked the buses from leaving until the last runners had cleared certain points. With the 5K buses leaving from the Journey Lot and the new 10K course, this was no longer an issue, and buses were running long before I finished.
  • On the way to the Half, my bus driver didn't know the route and took us to the Epcot CM parking lot. He was able to ask someone for directions and get it sorted out, but that was a frustrating few minutes. Other than that isolated snafu, the transportation for the weekend seemed quite good.
  • I'm not sure what was used to calculate anticipated pace for Proof of Time, but I submitted a 1:27:50 10-Miler (8:47 pace, or a 3:50:07 marathon at a direct extrapolation), and was put into s3. While that was about where I should have been for the Marathon, it was absolutely too far back the other days, which led to lots of fighting for space in the early miles. I understand the difficulty of obtaining proof of time in the last 2 years, but having the 2/4-hour cutoff doesn't seem quite right considering the number of walkers who will always estimate their finish as the fastest non-POT slot. It's always been a problem for rD, but this year's system seemed worse than normal with early-race crowding.
  • The whole "starting group" thing was stupid, and clearly created to appease someone in a boardroom. They're the same as corrals, but with a name that confuses everybody. If we have to keep this setup, can we at least drop the lowercase-"s" from the bibs and just use the number?
  • In general, on-course entertainment seemed more sparse than usual, though not dramatically so. The notable exception to that was the 4+ mile stretch in the Full between leaving Epcot and getting to TTC, where there were only 3 characters (including Pluto, who was also accessible from the other side of the median right after the start) and a video board. While I'm sure many people didn't like it, that area gave the the solace to focus on my running and clear my mind during an otherwise-busy weekend. Typically I would prefer a lot more entertainment, but that area hit me at just the right time.
  • Starting the Half earlier meant that it was longer before sunrise, which was particularly noticeable for me after leaving MK. While I appreciated having more space on the new part of Floridian Way, it was completely dark in several places, which was a real hazard with the number of people running, including people tripping over speed bumps that were lost in the darkness. Temporary lighting was brought in for some parts of the road, but not others; I couldn't figure out a logic to where they were placed.
  • During the Full, the sponge station came at just the right moment for me. It felt great to get the salt off my face, and I stuck the sponge in the back of my visor headband to keep me cool for the later miles. I poured more water on it at each of the remaining water stations, and it really helped keep away the worst of the heat.
@Greenlawler based on your comments here and in the Perfectly Dopey FB group, I think I've been able to figure out your secret identity! ;) Just sent a friend request!

After a year running solo, it was great to be back to an in-person Marathon Weekend, with everything it involves. I'm already starting to make plans for next year!

OG Runner

Not here. I totally enjoyed my vacation at WDW and the two races I took part in. My adjustment has been the weather.
Over 80 on Sunday and I returned to work yesterday and it was 15.

GimpYancIent

Congratulations to all the Disney runners. I seriously considered getting reinvolved w run Disney for 2022 but there is a different series of events that have captured my full attention;
1642087192297.png

Rundisneyprincess27

Did anyone else notice that, unlike in years past, we did not receive any literature at the expo for the many runDisney discounts at Disney Springs if you show your medal or bib (which did not exist), nor did we receive discounts at the water parks. I always enjoyed those little perks.
I wore my medal into the Basin store at Disney springs and they gave me a discount, but that was the only place.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I made it back home after Dopey #8 (#9? I'm still not sure whether the virtual counts), and got 11 hours of sleep last night, so I'm finally starting to feel like a real person again. For a variety of reasons, this Marathon Weekend was different from the ones in the past, but still a lot of fun, and it just felt great to have it back. In a weird way, Marathon Weekend feels like going to homecoming, with all those familiar faces you see every year, even though you don't actually 99% of them.

I had a good race weekend, and somehow managed to break my Dopey PR by about a minute and a half, without even thinking about it until today. I ran the 5K and 10K with a friend, which was a new experience for me; while it was fun to have some company and get to see the excitement of a new runner, I also hadn't planned on how much mental energy it takes to constantly communicate your race plan as you're going along, weaving between people, planning walk breaks, and determining character stops. The Half gave me an opportunity to run my own race and keep my legs light and fresh. The Full was a bit of a challenge, with the added pressure to get as far as possible before the heat came into play, but I managed to outrun the sun and make it off the worst parts of the course before they began to get too hot. I really lucked out; I think if I had hit Western Way about 5 minutes later, my pace would have had to be way slower, but I managed to stay in the shade nearly the entire time and finish just a few seconds faster than my "best possible scenario" goal.

• The merchandise line at the expo was insane on Wednesday. I waited close to 2 hours, before giving up and just having my friend (who arrived early and was waiting inside) buy stuff for me without getting a good look at it. With how many times they've done these weekends, you'd think they'd have a better system in place by now. The demand is clearly there; Disney leaving money on the table by with the self-inflicted merchandise shortages that lead to the crazy lines and eBay rushes (this isn't a supply chain issue, it's been increasingly bad since around the time the runDisney branding went into effect)
  • I actually didn't mind the new pre-race security setup. The buses dropped off at the park bus stops, rather than in the Journey Lot, so the walk wasn't that much longer than previous years, and the whole process seemed to be faster than the old system of checking bags by hand. There were several bottlenecks along the walk for the 5K, but having the grass option open for the other races eliminated them (and provided a great shortcut)
  • The post-race transportation for the 5K and 10K was great. In previous years, the course blocked the buses from leaving until the last runners had cleared certain points. With the 5K buses leaving from the Journey Lot and the new 10K course, this was no longer an issue, and buses were running long before I finished.
  • On the way to the Half, my bus driver didn't know the route and took us to the Epcot CM parking lot. He was able to ask someone for directions and get it sorted out, but that was a frustrating few minutes. Other than that isolated snafu, the transportation for the weekend seemed quite good.
  • I'm not sure what was used to calculate anticipated pace for Proof of Time, but I submitted a 1:27:50 10-Miler (8:47 pace, or a 3:50:07 marathon at a direct extrapolation), and was put into s3. While that was about where I should have been for the Marathon, it was absolutely too far back the other days, which led to lots of fighting for space in the early miles. I understand the difficulty of obtaining proof of time in the last 2 years, but having the 2/4-hour cutoff doesn't seem quite right considering the number of walkers who will always estimate their finish as the fastest non-POT slot. It's always been a problem for rD, but this year's system seemed worse than normal with early-race crowding.
  • The whole "starting group" thing was stupid, and clearly created to appease someone in a boardroom. They're the same as corrals, but with a name that confuses everybody. If we have to keep this setup, can we at least drop the lowercase-"s" from the bibs and just use the number?
  • In general, on-course entertainment seemed more sparse than usual, though not dramatically so. The notable exception to that was the 4+ mile stretch in the Full between leaving Epcot and getting to TTC, where there were only 3 characters (including Pluto, who was also accessible from the other side of the median right after the start) and a video board. While I'm sure many people didn't like it, that area gave the the solace to focus on my running and clear my mind during an otherwise-busy weekend. Typically I would prefer a lot more entertainment, but that area hit me at just the right time.
  • Starting the Half earlier meant that it was longer before sunrise, which was particularly noticeable for me after leaving MK. While I appreciated having more space on the new part of Floridian Way, it was completely dark in several places, which was a real hazard with the number of people running, including people tripping over speed bumps that were lost in the darkness. Temporary lighting was brought in for some parts of the road, but not others; I couldn't figure out a logic to where they were placed.
  • During the Full, the sponge station came at just the right moment for me. It felt great to get the salt off my face, and I stuck the sponge in the back of my visor headband to keep me cool for the later miles. I poured more water on it at each of the remaining water stations, and it really helped keep away the worst of the heat.
@Greenlawler based on your comments here and in the Perfectly Dopey FB group, I think I've been able to figure out your secret identity! ;) Just sent a friend request!

After a year running solo, it was great to be back to an in-person Marathon Weekend, with everything it involves. I'm already starting to make plans for next year!

I agree with the starting groups comment (is there a problem using the word "corral" that we are not aware of?). As both the Marathon Half and Princess Half have the same course (at least they did in the past), that's worrisome about the darkness issue. While it will be nice to reach the MK before sunrise, there are portions of Floridian Way that, as you pointed out, are not well lite.

pdude81

I believe the equivalent time for a half submission to count as sub-4 was 8:40 per mile (1:53:45 or lower), so they probably just gave you the best non-PoT corral since it was a quite reasonable submission. I don't remember if the guy asked about or posted the equivalent for a 10 milers, but I'm assuming it would have been even a bit faster than that. I wish they would have dropped it to 4:15 or 4:30 before going straight to 4 hours. They must have wanted to significantly cut the number of people reviewing those seeding submissions, plus make space for Club RunDisney in S2.

I estimated in the lowest non-PoT corral as I was intending to run sub 4 on the marathon (with just a few quick photo stops) but didn't have time to pull a qualifying race at those speeds. Sub 5 would have been easy to get something together and just take what they gave me. I also ended up in S3, which I appreciated, but finished more in line with a later corral. Even though I ended up starting ahead of where my body would be this January, I was still somehow moving with the crowd and largely passing people for the majority of each race. So there are a whole ton of people who manage to start much earlier, or perhaps just go out hard and burn out from all the weaving. Then again, by the 15 mile mark of the marathon I was getting passed by people walking often enough. So I'm not hating on anybody finding a way to get earlier. I just wish there would be some guidance on keeping to the right and not having groups be more than 3-wide when they throw up hands and stop in the middle of a crowded section.

The starting group thing I think works better than corrals, and I'll tell you why. A-F are commonly associated with grades. Clearly just sequential letters but it felt like more of a value judgement than order of operations. People inherently understand numbers better for order. I guess they could potentially dislike the word corral in terms of herding people together during a pandemic, but my opinion is that I like S3 better than C when it comes to organizing.

I've never done the 5 and 10 before, so I didn't know about the changes in transportation. Definitely glad they sorted that out because I was able to get back, shower, and get to DHS on Thursday for just after 8:30. That sure helped me have a solid day.

OG Runner

I do not know if anyone is really listening to us out there, but I would again like to request a course change.
The funny thing is the worst part of the marathon to me was not the Blizzard Beach parking lot, but the Animal
Kingdom loop. The way the course looped combined with the reduced "entertainment", was hard to deal with.
I was not flying at that point in the race so combined with entering and then leaving I am pretty sure I heard the
Hakuna Matata scene about six times. :p

pdude81

I do not know if anyone is really listening to us out there, but I would again like to request a course change.
The funny thing is the worst part of the marathon to me was not the Blizzard Beach parking lot, but the Animal
Kingdom loop. The way the course looped combined with the reduced "entertainment", was hard to deal with.
I was not flying at that point in the race so combined with entering and then leaving I am pretty sure I heard the
Hakuna Matata scene about six times. :p
Yeah, I'm hoping when the staffing gets normal again that we actually get to go back to the old course around Asia and through WWoS. Just guessing that has to do with these choices as the traffic issues seem to have gone away. Perhaps they just wanted to address the complaints about doubling back on the same highways before AKV and in/out of WWoS though.

Also I want the race retreat back. That's the only thing that will get me up and over there early instead of having to run to the start and waste precious energy.

pdude81

TOTALLY joking here: but ya'll compain about Osceola parkway, ya'll complain about WWoS and when they remove both....ya'll complain :)
I really liked WWoS, but I didn't like that stretch they used to do out on Western way just to check up an extra mile. This year it ended up being on what I'm seeing as Bear Island Rd and wasn't really any better having a loop in between. I'm just not a big fan of two way race traffic other than brief meetings where necessary.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I really liked WWoS, but I didn't like that stretch they used to do out on Western way just to check up an extra mile. This year it ended up being on what I'm seeing as Bear Island Rd and wasn't really any better having a loop in between. I'm just not a big fan of two way race traffic other than brief meetings where necessary.
i don't disagree. I also think there are too many places to cut the course. I work with the people who figure out the courses (no, I don't have ANY influence) and I cheered when they said Osceola was out of the full course.

pdude81

i don't disagree. I also think there are too many places to cut the course. I work with the people who figure out the courses (no, I don't have ANY influence) and I cheered when they said Osceola was out of the full course.
That surprised me, actually. I thought they finished up that construction project and would bring it back, but oh well. I kind of preferred that stretch to other choices but it's not up to me!

OG Runner

TOTALLY joking here: but ya'll compain about Osceola parkway, ya'll complain about WWoS and when they remove both....ya'll complain :)

I never complained about WWoS. It was rather winding, but you would enter after mile 17 or 18 and be out around mile 20.
From WWoS you would go up hit the exit, (where the green army man was), then onto Disney Studios from there I could crawl
to the finish. The current course has a few parts that irk me. I am not an elite runner. Seeing runners coming by the 4 mile mark
before I start the race bothers me a bit. I previously mentioned the Animal Kingdom loop in and out. Then there is the wonder
of the Blizzard Beach parking lot. In point of fact the time in WWoS could be reduced and the time in both Animal Kingdom and
Disney Studios increased. The overall run would be smoother and more entertaining. The first time I ran the marathon in 2014 we
came into the back of the Studios around through costuming and then up the "New York" streets to head toward the front of the
park. The Star Wars Half made a much bigger loop through Animal Kingdom than the straight shot through made during the Marathon.
It could be done.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
(is there a problem using the word "corral" that we are not aware of?).
It's offensive to horses who are often kept in corrals and don't like to be associated with people who talk about running all the time. ;)

I haven't done the course with WWoS, but I don't mind the new one at all, I just wish they would let us run through Blizzard Beach like they did in 2020 if they are going to take us all the way around the parking lot.

As for the switchbacks, I hate them when I see all the people ahead of me already racing the opposite direction but love them when I'm heading the other direction and know that at least I'm not back there on the other side anymore! I don't recall seeing any course cutters personally, so I don't get the impression it's rampant (unless maybe in the back of the pack), but that's just people cheating themselves. There seems to be enough eyes that it would get noticed on split times or by volunteers if anyone tried it that qualified for prizes or Boston Q times (in fact marathoninvestigation.com does a pretty good job of checking on suspicious split times and such on most major races).

pdude81

How did you guys pack your medals? I’d hate to damage mine on the way home after working so hard on them.

I’d imagine you would have to separate them to avoid clanking and possible damage:
The flat ones I at first just put in an undershirt and then folded over a few times to bag check for full for photos. Afterward I used paper towels in the room a little to wrap around them. Dopey was weird cause it stuck out quite a bit so I padded around the middle for that and then just put on top. I had a couple of those little disney bags from small purchases and will try to bring 6 of those in the future just to keep them apart.

For TSA I had a bag specifically with medals that I pulled out to send in a bin. They didn't blink an eye strangely. I expected that to get scrutinized and for me to have to repack carefully to not damage anything on the way home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom