Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Lasersupport from a car helped a team of 41 pacer to create the perfect stable paces and aerodynamics on a perfectly flat, surrounded by trees, lap of 9.6km with recently replaced roads. Wind, humidity and temperature were great aswell.

So it is possible for a human to go sub 2 hours. :)

But because of what you've listed, he's not getting a world record. Even though he finished 10 seconds FASTER than they planned.

Lilofan

Lasersupport from a car helped a team of 41 pacer to create the perfect stable paces and aerodynamics on a perfectly flat, surrounded by trees, lap of 9.6km with recently replaced roads. Wind, humidity and temperature were great aswell.

Still needs to be drug tested. Glad its not recognized as new world record. He also did not have to slow down to get drinks. The drinks were handed to him while running his "record" pace according to reports.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Still needs to be drug tested. Glad its not recognized as new world record. He also did not have to slow down to get drinks. The drinks were handed to him while running his "record" pace according to reports.

It was not an official race, but a (finally successful) attempt at breaking the 2 hour barrier. Nevertheless, it makes sense that it would be Eliud Kipchoge, as he holds the world record for fastest marathon in 2:01:39. As he himself said, he hopes his breaking this barrier inspires others to see that "no human is limited.

RunningKoen

Kipchoge will be in a constant cycle of drug testing.

As with all other things, this wasnt a regular race but optimalizing every little detail to see if that sub 2 hour thing is even possible. It is :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Kipchoge will be in a constant cycle of drug testing.

As with all other things, this wasnt a regular race but optimalizing every little detail to see if that sub 2 hour thing is even possible. It is :)

How many Olympic medals does he have? He's been drugged tested a lot.

OG Runner

Amazing!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
There was an interview/article already on the online version of a local paper, with Julien Wanders, one of the pacer "captains". He said he had to ask Kipchoge to slow down once or twice, as he was the pacer directly in front of him and Kipchoge's foot hit his heel a couple of times and he was stressed that he would cause an accident. He only learned last week that he would be a pacer "captain" and that the pacer groups only had 3 days together to practice. He went on to say that he felt the same emotions assisting Kipchoge to achieve the goal of breaking the 2 hour barrier as he felt when he had his own record breaking race.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Kipchoge ran Berlin 2018 and finished in 2:01:39. If its going to happen at a major I would think Berlin would be the place for it.

Berlin, London and Chicago seem to be recurrent on various lists concerning fastest marathon times for men and women (Berlin less so for women)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just came across Runners Square for the Marathon Weekend (apparently a VIP area with breakfast, separate facilities, stretching areas, post-race refreshments, etc.). Is this new? Or, if not, does anyone know if it is worthwhile or not? https://www.rundisney.com/events/disneyworld/disneyworld-marathon-weekend/events/runners-square/

It's not new, although the name is - used to be called race retreat. I've purchased it for Princess Half weekend. While some may not think it's worth the price, I do. Especially if it's hot/freezing cold/storming. Post-race refreshments is breakfast. And massages, if you finish early enough.

dreamfinder

Just came across Runners Square for the Marathon Weekend (apparently a VIP area with breakfast, separate facilities, stretching areas, post-race refreshments, etc.). Is this new? Or, if not, does anyone know if it is worthwhile or not? https://www.rundisney.com/events/disneyworld/disneyworld-marathon-weekend/events/runners-square/

As @LAKid53 said, it's just the renamed Race Retreat. It's worth will be up to you. The years it's been cold having the extra time staying warm would have been a godsend. But the years it's nice, didn't have much worth it. I wouldn't really trust a pre-race meal to an unknown buffett. Some times they had early expo entry, some people bought it for that reason alone. The race walk out once again might be a huge plus. If they let you go through the trees instead of having to do the extra mile walk on the roads, once again, extra time staying warm and dry.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As @LAKid53 said, it's just the renamed Race Retreat. It's worth will be up to you. The years it's been cold having the extra time staying warm would have been a godsend. But the years it's nice, didn't have much worth it. I wouldn't really trust a pre-race meal to an unknown buffett. Some times they had early expo entry, some people bought it for that reason alone. The race walk out once again might be a huge plus. If they let you go through the trees instead of having to do the extra mile walk on the roads, once again, extra time staying warm and dry.

If I eat anything on the pre-race buffet, it's a bagel and peanut butter, which I usually have in my room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom