News Walt Disney World holidays 2021

ImperfectPixie

Just pointing out what pineapples symbolize. I'm just glad that my favorite Gingerbread Men ornaments, are back on the Christmas Tree. :)
I've carved many stylized (think old New England) pineapples from wood for home decor and signage. Usually the bottom part is gold-leafed, and the fronds are either stained wood, or painted green and bronzed with green bronzing powder. They're one of my favorite decorations in a historic style.

ETA: And agreed on the Gingerbread Men!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Holy carp...when did that happen? I had no idea...
Pineapples can symbolize many things depending on the times and culture, it seems. Mostly used to represent 'Hospitality', afaik.
Interesting. 🤓

arich35

Holy carp...when did that happen? I had no idea...
No clue, I have heard it on radio shows a few times.

JeffH

50th Xmas celebration would be a great time to bring back the White trees bathed in blue lights that used to flank the castle way back when.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
No clue, I have heard it on radio shows a few times.

I just bought a house that has a pineapple chandelier in the entrance foyer. 🤔

castlecake2.0

At the turn of the century fruit was often used as decoration and as a sign of hospitality and wealth. In the time period and location Main Street is set, it was much harder to get fresh fruit, especially around Christmas, so this would be something very special people would show off. I saw it tonight and thought it was a beautiful touch. As a side note, my family continues this tradition with always placing an apple and orange in our stocking to pay tribute to this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
At the turn of the century fruit was often used as decoration and as a sign of hospitality and wealth. In the time period and location Main Street is set, it was much harder to get fresh fruit, especially around Christmas, so this would be something very special people would show off. I saw it tonight and thought it was a beautiful touch. As a side note, my family continues this tradition with always placing an apple and orange in our stocking to pay tribute to this.
My Great Depression grandparents put fruit in our Christmas stockings. I'm sure they thought it was wonderful and Christmas-y. I had trouble hiding my befuddlement and disappointment.

sbbr

Every grandchild in our family gets an orange in our stocking every year. My grandfather was the youngest of 14 siblings in rural Mississippi in the 1940s. Most years the orange was the only present they got. In good years they would get a pair of socks if theirs needed to be replaced. Now I do it for my kids too.

Fruit in general is a pretty common Christmas decoration in the deep South. Especially citrus fruit since that's when they're ripe. It honestly makes more sense for us to have lemons and oranges in our decor than evergreen boughs and snowflakes! Never seen pineapples but I don't hate it.

Bocabear

50th Xmas celebration would be a great time to bring back the White trees bathed in blue lights that used to flank the castle way back when.
With the new technology, those white trees could have had the same shimmering iridescent effect the castle does with projections...They could have also been programmed into the nightly show sequences... If they want to spend the money, the sky is the limit with trees these days...There was a LOT they could have done for the 50th with the holiday decorations...like all the other parks have done when celebrating anniversaries. Gold ribbon instead of red...Groundbreaking...lol

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A look at the holiday decor at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Holidays-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_45079.jpg

Holidays-at-Disneys-Hollywood-Studios_Full_45073.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom