Walt Disney and Communist

billybaruch1

This is shaping up to be a humdinger and a real knee-slapper.

If you're a Disney history buff, you've probably seen this story referred to -- albeit briefly -- in various authorized Walt Disney biographies. But Jim Korkis now delivers a full-blown account of the events leading up to Walt's controversial October 1497 appearance in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

I didn't realize Walt was such an old guy! :lol:

JTFerret

Coming soon to Disney World:

The Hall of the Proletariat
Great Moments with Mr. Stalin
Pirates of the Kremlin
The Politburo Cruise
Communist of Progress
Splash Vodka
Red Square Electrical Rationing :rolleyes:

JTFerret

So let's see...

In 1492, Walt Disney sailed the ocean blue.
In 1497, Walt Disney appeared before the House UnAmerican Committee some 500 years before it was created.
In 1776, Walt Disney signed the Declaration of Independence.
In 1865, Walt Disney freed the slaves.
In 1956, Walt Disney opened Disneyland.

Man, what accomplishments for all those lifetimes!:hammer:

billybaruch1

And so what if WED "mis-spoke himself, confusing the League of Women Voters with another group called the League of Women Shoppers... ?"

The thing about naming names is that with the benefit of hindsight, most of the time we see excesses. Look at the blackout last week, no one knows who to blame yet. Everyone goes overboard at first and it is only with the luxury of historical research that true assessments can be made. Back in those days the Red Menace was a real and present danger.

That the following list is today non-controversial speaks more to our nation's Cold War victory than any McCarthyite excesses. You'd be surprised how often capitalism has been unjustly attacked here in the U.S.A.

1. Don't smear the free enterprise system.

2. Don't smear industrialists.

3. Don't smear wealth. "It is the proper wish of every decent American to stand on his own feet, earn his own living, and be as good at it as he can."

4. Don't smear the profit motive.

5. Don't smear success.

6. Don't glorify failure.

7. Don't glorify depravity. "Go easy on stories about murderers, perverts and all the rest of that sordid stuff."

8. Don't deify "the common man." "The common man is one of the worst slogans of communism and too many of us have fallen for it without thinking. Don't ever use any line about the common man or the little people. It's not the American idea to be either common or little.

One more point: October 1947, Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan... two of my favorite Americans. :sohappy:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Woody13
Walt was anti-union. In his mind, union organizers were anti-American.

which is funny now... since Disney is now one of the most heavily unionized companies out there...

Lovecraft

Originally posted by Woody13
Walt was anti-union. In his mind, union organizers were anti-American.

So am I. And I agree with Walt on this. Of the companies my company works with and in the cities we do do business with, the ones which produce the best products and services are non unionized. They are also the ones most pleasant to deal with. The fact that Disney is so unionized, to me, speaks wonders for the company itself to be able to be as productive as it is.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Lovecraft
So am I. And I agree with Walt on this. Of the companies my company works with and in the cities we do do business with, the ones which produce the best products and services are non unionized. They are also the ones most pleasant to deal with. The fact that Disney is so unionized, to me, speaks wonders for the company itself to be able to be as productive as it is.

I second that!! Unions are, to me, like Affirmative Action, in that they were necessary at one point in time but not any longer. Unions have gotten way too powerful and they don't encourage healthy competition or productivity. Instead, they encourage giving raises to people and keeping them employed simply because they are union members and not because they are the best people for the job. Unions usually strike for idiotic reasons. I LOVE crossing picket lines any time a grocery store or other business is on strike. And I think Walt was absolutely onto something in his belief that unions share many of the ideals of communism.

JaynMACP96_97_9

I think its important not to stereotype. Saying "unions" encompasses all of them, and while some of them may have outlived their utility, there are quite a few that have helped our economy become what it is today. Teachers in particular, would be making much less than their relatively small salaries if it weren't for strong unions.

Walt's situation was personal. His animators struck on him, and when he testified before congress he named the very same people whom he'd hired and had working relationships with for all those years. But that was sadly the "in" thing to do during those years and was seen as being american.

The important thing is to remember that we're all complex people and we aren't going to always like everything about everyone.

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Unions are the desturction of America. The teachers union here is the highest paid in the state yet their raising their pay for the next 3 or 5 years and the school system has no money. Go figure. Unions want more money but businesses are losig money. Unions should dissband.

TURKEY

Originally posted by FutureCEO
Unions are the desturction of America. The teachers union here is the highest paid in the state yet their raising their pay for the next 3 or 5 years and the school system has no money. Go figure. Unions want more money but businesses are losig money. Unions should dissband.

:rolleyes:

I know I'm not where you are, but I think teacher's unions are good things.

My mom isn't in a teachers union. That's why she's making 33K gross, after teaching 28 years and having a masters. If she was in a district that did have a union (unfortunately, not many in Arkansas do), she'd be making 60K.

epcotisbest

"Unions are the desturction of America. The teachers union here is the highest paid in the state yet their raising their pay for the next 3 or 5 years and the school system has no money. Go figure. Unions want more money but businesses are losig money. Unions should dissband."

desturction

their

losig

dissband

I think teachers are underpaid.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Lovecraft

the problem is Disney's management. Generally, they treat the CM's so poorly, that the union really is a necessary evil. Personally, I'm anti-union.... but in the context of the Walt Disney Company, short of an almost entire management change, I'm pro union.

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Originally posted by epcotisbest
I think teachers are underpaid.

I agree. And I know that i cant type on here :lol: But that was an example. Some people are overpiad like moive stars, music stars and athletes and some are underpaid like the President.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by FutureCEO
I agree. And I know that i cant type on here :lol: But that was an example. Some people are overpiad like moive stars, music stars and athletes and some are underpaid like the President.

Which president? Poor presidents like mine or YOUR president? Cause seriously, I haven't seen reason to give him a raise yet... :lol:

OT: By the way, when is your next presidential election, PLEASE?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom