Walmart seeks zoning for new super center near Disney World

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
And again, speaking as a UK resident there a number of things we can only get in the USA...

Corn Syrup, Advil in packs larger than 16, Vanilla pudding mix, Reese's Fastbreaks; to be fair I could live without these things (in fact I would probably extend my lifespan considerably) so they are hardly essentials, but I always pick these things up while I'm over.

For anyone flying in there's the whole liquid thing, so on a longer trip it's nice to have soda, milk, beer in the room.
For good reason, its all poison, you should thank your gov't!!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Except that all their other, non-fastbreak candy is way better than American candy, across the board.
Chocolate is better in the UK (and also quite different, so I can understand some liking US chocolate better). Plus they have wine gums, and we don't. But otherwise, I think the US has better candy than the UK.

FullSailDan

can't read the article without registering
If you copy the link, go to google, and search for it, it should pop up as the first result. If you click on it from there, the pay wall should fail to load. This works for just about every site that has one of those terrible paywalls. New York Times is another culprit that use this on often.

*edit- missing words

CaptainAmerica

For good reason, its all poison, you should thank your gov't!!
You know you have the freedom to not purchase "poison" if you don't want to, right?

tumblr_lls2raPSxA1qkae66o1_1280.jpg

dumboflyer

This must be to the replace the Walmart that is currently on 535 just north of 192. I can't imagine them building a second store within 3 miles of another one otherwise.
Roughly 1/3 of a mile between these two in North Dallas. I guess there is a huge interstate highway in between, FWIW.

Attachments

• North Dallas.jpg
    North Dallas.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 42

SoupBone

And again, speaking as a UK resident there a number of things we can only get in the USA...

Corn Syrup, Advil in packs larger than 16, Vanilla pudding mix, Reese's Fastbreaks; to be fair I could live without these things (in fact I would probably extend my lifespan considerably) so they are hardly essentials, but I always pick these things up while I'm over.

For anyone flying in there's the whole liquid thing, so on a longer trip it's nice to have soda, milk, beer in the room.

You know, if you made friends with a few people from this board, you might be able to convince people to occasionally mail you those items. When my sister was stationed in Germany, we used to send her care packages all the time of her favorite items she couldn't purchase there.

photomatt

This new Walmart won't noticeably reduce the crowds at the Turkey Lake or 535 locations. There are just too many people in the area. If you really want to get a feel for the sales volume of the 535 location, go there around 1am. It will still be packed with people, and the aisles will be jam-packed with pallets of food and merchandise to restock the shelves. It happens every single day.

The Walmart at 535/Poinciana Blvd is one of the top destinations people take taxis to from Disney. The Vineland Premium Outlets and Universal round out the top 3.

photomatt

Nice to see that the only jobs growth around Disney is still minimum wage....
It won't change unless these minimum wage workers start paying attention and decide to do something about it. I want to be careful and not get political, but there is a solution to this.

PhotoDave219

It won't change unless these minimum wage workers start paying attention and decide to do something about it. I want to be careful and not get political, but there is a solution to this.

Yes there is and it's called encouraging business growth and development.... Seems Osceola county doesn't want that.

I mean, walmarts are good, right? They always bring positive things to the immediate surrounding areas, right?

I mean, wouldn't Comcast just love to have a data center or a call center right in Disney's back yard? Seems Steve Burke's MO.

photomatt

Yes there is and it's called encouraging business growth and development.... Seems Osceola county doesn't want that.

I agree that city, county, and state officials could do more to encourage business growth and development, but I think they have no problem with bringing in more jobs that don't really pay anything. What I was suggesting, as delicately as I could, is that the workers themselves could take more of an active role in resolving the low wage issue.

sheriffwoody

If the Vineland store was ever staffed to have more than 4 checkout lanes open at a time it wouldn't seem so busy!

I avoid that place harder than anywhere else in Orlando.
Our Walmart is like that too. I don't go unless someone wants me to go with them. Last time we went out for groceries in Orlando we went to Target. It was quiet and wonderful!

PhotoDave219

I agree that city, county, and state officials could do more to encourage business growth and development, but I think they have no problem with bringing in more jobs that don't really pay anything. What I was suggesting, as delicately as I could, is that the workers themselves could take more of an active role in resolving the low wage issue.

I was suggesting that the problem to the disaster the 192 corridor has become is a lack of good paying jobs. WalMart just reinforces the problem. As towards taking a more active role? Well, when the only jobs in the area are ones that just pay minimum wage, thats an issue.

I'd like to see Osceola take a more proactive role in encouraging tech companies and other well-paying middle class jobs to relocate to Kissimmee. They've got plenty of cheap housing, cheap land, available space and with the World's premier family entertainment complexes nearby, it would be great way to stimulate and gentrify the economy.

The Orlando area - especially Osceola County - needs well paying, middle class jobs.

Goofyernmost

They can build it in the empty space at DHS, The WalMart crowd would feel right at home
As a constant Walmart shopper, I would like to comment on that comment. If you mean buying the same item for less money then other people spend, then I will take that highly undisguised insult and wear it with pride. I don't want to be one of those people that spends extra money on imagined status.

This has nothing to do with Disney.
I see it as a great place to go and buy Disney souvenirs for a third of the cost of the same thing onsite.

I mean, walmarts are good, right? They always bring positive things to the immediate surrounding areas, right?

I mean, wouldn't Comcast just love to have a data center or a call center right in Disney's back yard? Seems Steve Burke's MO.
Location, location, location. And seriously, do you think that all those mom and pop stores paid high wages and offered benefits that were status raising for their employees. What it did do was provide "working positions" for people that otherwise could not get employment. So, although in some eyes, it was a small positive, it was indeed a positive.

PhotoDave219

Location, location, location. And seriously, do you think that all those mom and pop stores paid high wages and offered benefits that were status raising for their employees. What it did do was provide "working positions" for people that otherwise could not get employment. So, although in some eyes, it was a small positive, it was indeed a positive.

The problem is that there simply aren't are very very few middle-class, well paying jobs in that area. Sure you get the work experience and entry level into the world but there's nowhere to move up to. That's the issue for the area. For the most part, its all service industry & minimum wage jobs in the 192 corridor.

Osceola County needs to appeal and attract true business development beyond simple minimum wage jobs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom