Walkway between Shades of Green and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort to permanently close

SplashJacket

If they're making it four lanes, it seems like the turn into the shades would require a traffic light given the volume (and expected volumes) of traffic in that area, which would easily establish a light-protected crosswalk.

Just seems like a move to prevent SoG from accessing Poly amenities and the monorail more than anything.

SoG recently became so much better with the addition of the MK pathway, and not only does this completely eliminate that perk, it removes another dozen.

Last edited:

Cousin Huet

This is a really big slap in the face. Disney has been aggressively trying to remove military benefits without the consequences for years now. They have two parks in a country that is about to start WW3. The very people that ensure they have the prosperous environment to operate in are being sent a clear message each time Disney acts.

Cousin Huet

If they're making it four lanes, it seems like the turn into the shades would require a traffic light given the volume (and expected volumes) of traffic in that area, which would easily establish a light-protected cross-walk.

Just seems like a move to prevent SoG from accessing Poly amenities and the monorail more than anything.
It absolutely is but companies like this will never come out with their agenda unless they can benefit in social credit for it. The military isn’t a group backed by the outrage mob in this country so they just do it and lie about the reasoning…..then hide behind meaningless theater to fool people. Disney policy and actions separate from how they like to present themselves all the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does the little shuttle no longer run at all? a tight shuttle loop seems like a reasonable alternative here.

We'd walk to the TTC at times.. but I don't think I'd ever want to walk much further than that.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It absolutely is but companies like this will never come out with their agenda unless they can benefit in social credit for it. The military isn’t a group backed by the outrage mob in this country so they just do it and lie about the reasoning…..then hide behind meaningless theater to fool people. Disney policy and actions separate from how they like to present themselves all the time.
I highly doubt their decision to widen a two-lane road to four-lanes is to appease the "outrage mob" 🥱

Your points in your previous post remain, however. I am not part of a military family, so I've never stayed at SoG, but looking from afar it is pretty gross how many benefits they've chipped away from families who choose to stay here. If there is any resort hotel on property that should receive the best of the best in terms of perks, it's this one.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Does the little shuttle no longer run at all? a tight shuttle loop seems like a reasonable alternative here.

We'd walk to the TTC at times.. but I don't think I'd ever want to walk much further than that.

The little shuttle , you mean the golf cart (Shady Shuttle) or the dedicated bus service? Theres hourly bus service to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios hourly and currently every 20 minutes to the TTC but the bus only holds 30-33 max They say they will be increasing the number of TTC busses. It'll be painful with ECVs.

1680736765957.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
The little shuttle , you mean the golf cart (Shady Shuttle) or the dedicated bus service? Theres hourly bus service to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios hourly and currently every 20 minutes to the TTC but the bus only holds 30-33 max They say they will be increasing the number of TTC busses. It'll be painful with ECVs.

View attachment 708812
talking about the big golf cart :)

JohnD

And SoG is now garbage.

Holy hell this is a slap in the face. That walkway is HEAVILY used. If they cared, they would build a pedestrian bridge. Bad move Disney, bad move.
Hopefully that is part of the overall plan. Of course, with construction of a four lane road that would be a while.

GimpYancIent

Facts: "In 2018, about 7% of U.S. adults were veterans, down from 18% in 1980, according to the Census Bureau. This drop coincides with decreases in active-duty personnel. Over the past half-century, the number of people on active duty has dropped significantly, from 3.5 million in 1968, during the military draft era, to about 1.4 million (or less than 1% of all U.S. adults) in today’s all-volunteer force. The draft ended in 1973."
With so few people having the backbone and intestinal fortitude to put on a uniform of the United States to put their lives on the line Disney should increase what perks are available for them not conjure up ways to isolate them and reduce what few perks they have.

GimpYancIent

We've stayed at Shades of Green multiple times. The walk to Polynesian is just a few minutes and has saved a lot of time vs waiting for a bus. And the walkway is heavily used. This is a loss that will result in more time to get to monorail/Poly/MK. Not a major loss, but definitely a lost benefit.
I agree, It Is A Lost Benefit, where I disagree is that walkway is a major benefit due to its convenience and usage.

GimpYancIent

View attachment 708812
Some may compare the SoG shuttle to a golf cart but from personal experience it is outstanding, the vehicle operators top notch and the service easily compares with the best of any Disney bus service.

Smiley/OCD

Facts: "In 2018, about 7% of U.S. adults were veterans, down from 18% in 1980, according to the Census Bureau. This drop coincides with decreases in active-duty personnel. Over the past half-century, the number of people on active duty has dropped significantly, from 3.5 million in 1968, during the military draft era, to about 1.4 million (or less than 1% of all U.S. adults) in today’s all-volunteer force. The draft ended in 1973."
With so few people having the backbone and intestinal fortitude to put on a uniform of the United States to put their lives on the line Disney should increase what perks are available for them not conjure up ways to isolate them and reduce what few perks they have.
What Disney SHOULD DO??
Give them free Minnie van rides to/from the parks…THAT would be a perk the vets deserve!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom