Walking Distances from Shades of Green to Poly

rle4lunch

I've just reserved my Shades of Green rooms for December and need to know how long it takes to walk to the Poly or TTC, or whether we should just take the bus. I've read people's posts on other sites saying it takes between 5-10 minutes. Is this accurate? The last time I stayed at Shades of Green was 1986 when I was a kid and it was the Golf Resort, and I'm pretty sure we took the car back and forth to MK parking area. A couple family members that will be in my party have walking issues and I'm trying to minimize their walking everyday if possible.

I know all the other transit times from the other resorts I've stayed at on the grounds over the last few years, but SOG is a new one for me. Any help would be great.

Kamikaze

According to Google Maps walking directions, it is .5 miles/10 minutes from the front entrance of SOG to the Poly monorail station.

Thats if you walk along Floridian way for about 300 feet to get to the road entrance to Poly.
Otherwise add another .2 miles/4 minutes to go the 'safe' way.

Upvote 0

PennyInPink

First thing on a bright, sunny summer morning, it's a beautiful, glorious walk. 12 hours later after walking all day on the surface of the sun: not so much. Use busses at the end of the day.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Go to the bellhop desk at the front of the hotel. Ask to take the "shady shuttle" to the end of the driveway so you can walk across the street to the Poly. If you do that and chose to then cross the street and take the paths back to the doors by the Poly marina, go up the steps to the monorail it shouldnt take you more than 5-8 mins. But you can also choose once you get across the street to Poly to just take their paths to the TTC and catch your boat/monorail/bus there to whereever you are going. That takes about ten mins. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
They have a golf cart with extra seating benches they use to run between the SOG and the top of the street near the TTC.

It's a long enough walk I wouldn't want to rely on it for a group. Take the bus or the shuttle. We always just took the bus or drove ourselves. The bus is a direct bus so there is no reason not to take it unless you just missed it.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

They have a golf cart with extra seating benches they use to run between the SOG and the top of the street near the TTC.

It's a long enough walk I wouldn't want to rely on it for a group. Take the bus or the shuttle. We always just took the bus or drove ourselves. The bus is a direct bus so there is no reason not to take it unless you just missed it.

Flynnibus, the Shady Shuttle is the cart. It's still there and was even upgraded.
http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Shades-Of-Green-Shadet-Shuttle.jpg

Depending on the size of the group, the shuttle holds 8. The way mouse_luv gave is probably one of the fastest ways to get anywhere from the resort, except for Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdom.

If however, you want to ride on a hot, enclosed, crowded bus, go for it.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
If however, you want to ride on a hot, enclosed, crowded bus, go for it.

The SoG buses aren't crowded.. the place is tiny by Disney standards. That's the beauty of it. The buses are more open and less crowded than the monorails... and why take a shuttle.. walk.. and then get on a monorail and maybe transfer yet again.. unless the resort monorail really is your destination. For anywhere besides the MK or a resort monorail stop.. it's faster and less stressful to get a direct bus.

Driving at the SoG used to be the best of all worlds.. but now your parking at SoG isn't good for the parks anymore :( :( :( so no more 'free' parking anywhere on resort property like it used to be.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

The SoG buses aren't crowded.. the place is tiny by Disney standards. That's the beauty of it. The buses are more open and less crowded than the monorails... and why take a shuttle.. walk.. and then get on a monorail and maybe transfer yet again.. unless the resort monorail really is your destination. For anywhere besides the MK or a resort monorail stop.. it's faster and less stressful to get a direct bus.

Driving at the SoG used to be the best of all worlds.. but now your parking at SoG isn't good for the parks anymore :( :( :( so no more 'free' parking anywhere on resort property like it used to be.

Honestly, I don't know what time of year you have visited, but I have visited all times of the year for many years and have found the buses crowded and/or hot, as Mousehockey has said above. Secondly, SOG is large on the scale of resorts. More than likely not on the scale of SSR or OKW, but definately large. There are many people that mention what a steal the place is bc of how large the rooms are by Disney standards, etc.

Lastly, it's different strokes for different folks in how you want to get to the parks. If you feel like waiting however long for a bus then more power to you. I'll take the Shady Shuttle to the end of the property and walk to the monorail or walk to the ttc probably faster than your bus will get there, I've done it.

As far as the OP's ? stands. I hope my info for you in my first post helped answer your question.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Honestly, I don't know what time of year you have visited, but I have visited all times of the year for many years and have found the buses crowded and/or hot, as Mousehockey has said above. Secondly, SOG is large on the scale of resorts. More than likely not on the scale of SSR or OKW, but definately large. There are many people that mention what a steal the place is bc of how large the rooms are by Disney standards, etc.

What in the world does the size of the rooms have to do with 'the size of the resort' which is what I said. The SoG only has 586 rooms. Compared to any of the moderates or values, that is anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the number of rooms. It's small even by 'deluxe' resort sizes (about 30% smaller than Polynesian). The resort is small, not the rooms themselves.

Sounds to me like you are just a bus hater to start with.. that's fine. But the SoG buses are fine and one of the better routes as it's dedicated and no bus sharing.. and the resort isn't as big so they aren't as crowded. That was the point. If you hate buses and want to spend 15-20mins to get to the monorail instead.. and wait for that too. Your business. The point made in the thread is there are options for both.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

What in the world does the size of the rooms have to do with 'the size of the resort' which is what I said. The SoG only has 586 rooms. Compared to any of the moderates or values, that is anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the number of rooms. It's small even by 'deluxe' resort sizes (about 30% smaller than Polynesian). The resort is small, not the rooms themselves.

Sounds to me like you are just a bus hater to start with.. that's fine. But the SoG buses are fine and one of the better routes as it's dedicated and no bus sharing.. and the resort isn't as big so they aren't as crowded. That was the point. If you hate buses and want to spend 15-20mins to get to the monorail instead.. and wait for that too. Your business. The point made in the thread is there are options for both.

Seriously?! Why do you have to get nasty? First of all the OP asked for the easiest and fastest way to get from SOG by WALKING!!!! So, that's what I was answering, you were the one that jumped on the whole buses are holier than thou arguement. I have ridden the SOG buses. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't as far as my plans go. If you get there right as a bus is leaving, then you have to wait another 15-20mins for a bus. So what is the big deal if it takes me ten minutes tops to get to a monorail? I was just answering the OP about WALKING and how fast it is. Have fun on your buses. Geez.

Upvote 0

rle4lunch

Original Poster
Thanks for all the inputs on this. It's good to know about the shuttle, I'm sure we'll be using that for the most part, but the nicer mornings the walk will be great as well.

Upvote 0

a2grafix

What everyone else said, it's a 5-10 minute walk from Shades to the Great Ceremonial House. From there, up the steps to the monorail station or a few steps further to the bus station. And if you have the time, add an additional 10 minutes or so to walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center.

So many options when staying at Shades of Green - military and/or Disney transportation are at your service. Mix and mingle.

Happy walking with your options, although the Shady Shuttle could work, if the bellhops are not busy.

I walk from Shades to the Poly and/or TTC all the time. It's a nice leisurely walk and it's an interesting sight walking across the street, through the trees and looking up and seeing the monorail.

Kungaloosh! Hoopla!

Upvote 0

a2grafix

It's $5 a day in the only parking garage / multi-deck parking garage on Walt Disney World property. Almost free, very economical.

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Thanks for all the inputs on this. It's good to know about the shuttle, I'm sure we'll be using that for the most part, but the nicer mornings the walk will be great as well.

There is a handy-dandy information placard in the lobby of Shades of Green that give approximate times to get from Disney points of interest using the Shades bus system. The placard is located at the front desk and also by the main entrance into the lobby.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's $5 a day in the only parking garage / multi-deck parking garage on Walt Disney World property. Almost free, very economical.

Not only that.. but you could park SOOOO close to your room if you were in that wing. But now if you drive to the parks you gotta pay the Disney price to park at the parks each day :(

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom