wal-mart , publix help (uk)

sweetsugar

My sis and I are planning our first trip to WDW next May. This is our first major trip abroad on our own. We will not be driving when we are out there. This might seem like a silly question. we are trying to cut the cost and from reading lots of posts on here its clear people say take water and snacks with you into the parks rather than buying in there because they cost alot. Therefore my questions is where can we get bits like drinks and snacks is there a Wal-mart or publix near by or can we get this all from DTD or our hotel. We are planning to stay at POR.
Thanks!! can't wait!!! I'm so excited :wave:

aurora1982

Bottled water and snacks are about a quarter of the price in the US compared with the UK (water, especially, is like in Europe only with the exchange rate being on our side!). Please, please, please do not bring them with you, or ship them, it would be insane!!!! We don't even bring shampoo because everything's so much cheaper.

I agree that the extra space idea is good though - we take a second sports bag packed in the suitcase for souvenirs and all the clothes we buy from Orlando Premium Outlets!! (Nine West shoes at 2 pairs for $30!!!)

ETA: All basic groceries are available at the resorts, but they are at a Disney mark-up.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

When I bought bottled water at the Hess station last May by the Boardwalk Hotel, it was the larger bottles of 12 for $5.99, way less than buying at disney, but you definitely need to take a taxi, it's way to heavy to carry very far.

The Walmart is located on Rte 535 between Rtes 536 & 192 which is the closest one to disney.

Upvote 0

smk

Bottled water and snacks are about a quarter of the price in the US compared with the UK (water, especially, is like in Europe only with the exchange rate being on our side!). Please, please, please do not bring them with you, or ship them, it would be insane!!!! We don't even bring shampoo because everything's so much cheaper.

I agree that the extra space idea is good though - we take a second sports bag packed in the suitcase for souvenirs and all the clothes we buy from Orlando Premium Outlets!! (Nine West shoes at 2 pairs for $30!!!)

ETA: All basic groceries are available at the resorts, but they are at a Disney mark-up.
:eek:, I didn't realize things were that much cheaper here. I was in France and Italy three years ago and thought things were high there but I was in touristy areas only, kinda like staying in the tourist trap that Orlando is! I still would bring a nalgene bottle (or camelback) and just refill it at every stop. Bottled water is such a waste of money and resources!

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member
I had the misfortune to be at the Super Wal Mart on 192 when a tour bus full of Brazilians showed up. They literally came to the US with the clothes on their backs. They would run around the store, filling up a cart with clothing, with the last item being a suitcase (presumably to bring it all home) I can only guess it is cheaper to buy it here than to bring it with them from home. :shrug:

Upvote 0

aurora1982

We have extremely good quality tap water in the UK, so bottled water is kind of unnecessary. I think they take advantage of the luxury theory and bump up the price. In the rest of Europe, however, it's dirt-cheap - probably because the tap water's not as good.

ETA: smk - your signature is so cool. I completely agree!

Upvote 0

Roxas

:eek:, I didn't realize things were that much cheaper here. I was in France and Italy three years ago and thought things were high there but I was in touristy areas only, kinda like staying in the tourist trap that Orlando is! I still would bring a nalgene bottle (or camelback) and just refill it at every stop. Bottled water is such a waste of money and resources!

It's not so much that its that cheap over there (well it is) but the prices of all products in the UK are among the highest in the world. For comparison here are the 25 most expensive cities in the world to live in. New York is the ONLY american city in the top 50.

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

London has dropped from being the second to the 3rd most expensive

Upvote 0

Hurricane

If this is your first trip to WDW be prepared for the dreaded 'Orlando water' out of water fountains. It's perfectly fine to drink but some find the taste not to their liking. Requesting water from counter service locations will get you ice water in a medium sized cup with a lid (which may or may not be filtered), which is your best bet if you don't like Orlando water. Another option as mentioned above is using a water bottle filter or filling a camelback with filtered water.

Upvote 0

dmperry134

Hi,

We are from the UK and DVC members, we vacation at SSR. On our first day we always stock up on goodies from Publix, as it is far cheaper than any of the Disney convenience stores.There is a Publix opposite Premium outlets, which is only a 5-7 minute drive from POR. They have everything you will need for your trip. There is also a Walgreens on the same site.

Just make sure that housekeeping at POR deliver a fridge to your room, so you can keep milk, etc cool.

Hope this helps

Rgds
Dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom