Wake up and smell the.....cookies?

careship

Original Poster
As you walk down Main Street, stop in front of the bakery and notice the awesome smell of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Think again! When the bakery was being designed imagineers wanted to put a fan in front of the cooling racks of freshly baked cookies to blow the aroma out onto main street. The bakers stopped the installation of the fan, claiming that the cool air from the fans would crack the hot cookies. So the imagineers put a pump down in the service tunnel, in that pump they put an artificial cookie smelling liquid, and that is what you smell as you stand in front of the bakery.

GenerationX

Interesting factoid, careship!

I'll bet the smell alone gets people into the bakery. To even out the traffic flow after Mission:Space opens, the Imagineers will need to pump "new car smell" around Innoventions to encourage people to ride Test Track.

Woody13

You have to control those smells too!

"Disney also developed a system to spray scents in certain scenes to recreate the proper smells. Dubbed the "Smellitzer" by its creator Bob McCarthy, this was used most noticeably for the smell of smoke in the Roman ruins scene of Spaceship Earth. The Smellitzer would spray a scent across the path of guests toward a small air vent, which would pull the scent out of the room so that it would not find its way to other scenes where it was not wanted."
http://www.startedbyamouse.com/features/spaceship_earth02.html

egilhagen

If you go to the bakery in the norway pavillion at EPCOT. In the bushes, between Kringla and The Puffins Roost, you will see it..... Venting the whole area with nice cinnamon rolls smell....

raven

Originally posted by egilhagen
If you go to the bakery in the norway pavillion at EPCOT. In the bushes, between Kringla and The Puffins Roost, you will see it..... Venting the whole area with nice cinnamon rolls smell....

Thank you again Egil! You are so cool! I have always wanted to see one up close. You are a life saver. :kiss:

mp2bill

Does anybody know where I can get info on the Smellitzer techonology or possibly even get a miniature version of it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom