Waiting to Buy Tickets

HouCuseChickie

Anyone think I'm crazy for thinking about waiting? We have room-only lodging booked for mid July, and before all of this craziness, I planned to buy park tickets shortly before my 60 day mark so that I could book FPs. That 60 day mark is rapidly approaching and I think I'm going to hold off on buying tickets. I'm generally an optimist and would like to hope that we're able to go, but I don't know how I feel about having $ invested in tickets until we know more. I know anything right now with potential opening dates, conditions, phases, etc. is all speculative. I just don't know if I want my $ locked into tickets with all of the uncertainty. On one hand, if we're unable to go because of Disney's opening terms, buying now could lock in tickets at current pricing and save us $ for a future trip, but on the other hand...that $ could be used for other things...like other travel options that could be a possibility at that point if Disney is a no-go. Of course, if we get the green light to go to WDW and I'm buying tickets closer to travel time, who knows what that could mean for attraction/FP options, since we don't know what the new or temporary normal may be in the parks.

Any others gambling and holding off?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Heads up to you February planners, pick your week carefully if possible. Presidents Day and Mardi Gras weekend overlap in 2021 and crowds may be huge.

Our district voted to give the kids a winter break in February even though we also get a week off in March for spring break. So, we're just going with the week the kids have off. Based on the calendar, we should be safe from Mardi Gras, President's Day, Valentine's Day, and Princess weekend.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Our district voted to give the kids a winter break in February even though we also get a week off in March for spring break. So, we're just going with the week the kids have off. Based on the calendar, we should be safe from Mardi Gras, President's Day, Valentine's Day, and Princess weekend.
Your *winter* break is in February? Is there also a break around Christmas time, is that what February is replacing?

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Your *winter* break is in February? Is there also a break around Christmas time, is that what February is replacing?

A couple of years ago, our district voted on a shorter summer break and slightly longer school day to give us more breaks during the school year. The kids get a week off in October, a week at Thanksgiving, around 2.5 weeks around Christmas/New Year's, a week in early February, and a week in mid-March for spring break. Due to work conflicts, I can't do anything with the October break, but the February break is before President's Day and before Valentine's Day, so it's ideal for travel deals.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

A couple of years ago, our district voted on a shorter summer break and slightly longer school day to give us more breaks during the school year. The kids get a week off in October, a week at Thanksgiving, around 2.5 weeks around Christmas/New Year's, a week in early February, and a week in mid-March for spring break. Due to work conflicts, I can't do anything with the October break, but the February break is before President's Day and before Valentine's Day, so it's ideal for travel deals.
Oh, ok. That's interesting. Seems like it breaks up the school year really nicely.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Oh, ok. That's interesting. Seems like it breaks up the school year really nicely.

They were starting to discuss year-round school in our state before this went into place. Very few other districts have adopted this plan, but our shorter summer vacation in this plan is moving us towards that kind of model. We've seen hints from the state, in response to everything with Covid-19, that they may even temporarily move to this approach for the next year for all public schools. We're already planning to start our next school year in the second week of August, so we should be well positioned for the change if the state goes that route for all. All I know is that my vacation budget loves it.

Upvote 0

Pooh'sBuddy

They were starting to discuss year-round school in our state before this went into place. Very few other districts have adopted this plan, but our shorter summer vacation in this plan is moving us towards that kind of model. We've seen hints from the state, in response to everything with Covid-19, that they may even temporarily move to this approach for the next year for all public schools. We're already planning to start our next school year in the second week of August, so we should be well positioned for the change if the state goes that route for all. All I know is that my vacation budget loves it.

I remember knowing a mom back in the 90s whose school district had a year-round calendar. Cy-Fair, maybe? I'd love it.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I remember knowing a mom back in the 90s whose school district had a year-round calendar. Cy-Fair, maybe? I'd love it.

They may have tried it for a while, but it looks like they had a more traditional calendar for this current school year. The summer part feels a bit strange when you get to the end of July and realize you need to get into that back to school mindset, but I think there was more knowledge retention with the kids and the ski trip we took in February was significantly cheaper than a Christmas break vacation.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom