Waiting to Buy Tickets

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Anyone think I'm crazy for thinking about waiting? We have room-only lodging booked for mid July, and before all of this craziness, I planned to buy park tickets shortly before my 60 day mark so that I could book FPs. That 60 day mark is rapidly approaching and I think I'm going to hold off on buying tickets. I'm generally an optimist and would like to hope that we're able to go, but I don't know how I feel about having $ invested in tickets until we know more. I know anything right now with potential opening dates, conditions, phases, etc. is all speculative. I just don't know if I want my $ locked into tickets with all of the uncertainty. On one hand, if we're unable to go because of Disney's opening terms, buying now could lock in tickets at current pricing and save us $ for a future trip, but on the other hand...that $ could be used for other things...like other travel options that could be a possibility at that point if Disney is a no-go. Of course, if we get the green light to go to WDW and I'm buying tickets closer to travel time, who knows what that could mean for attraction/FP options, since we don't know what the new or temporary normal may be in the parks.

Any others gambling and holding off?
 

MissViv

Well-Known Member
Advertisement
The governor of FL is supposed to make an announcement today about starting to open up slowly. See what he has to say but you will probably need to purchase your tickets soon if planning the trip in July.

Are you buying tickets from Undercover Tourist? Just wondering why you didn't purchase them as a package through Disney since it is easier to cancel.
 

Queen of the WDW Scene

If you don't like it then you can leave
In the Parks
No
Just read Orange County's restrictions and mandates for parks to open and really its not a whole lot that they are doing.
M y guess is the parks may even open sooner than we anticipated in the beginning of June.
If what you're worried about is whether the parks will be open I think you're safe.
Its unfortunate that its an unknown at your 60 day mark but if it were me I'd buy the tickets.
Although if it were me I'd have booked a package so that the tickets were refundable in case I did have to cancel.
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
The governor of FL is supposed to make an announcement today about starting to open up slowly. See what he has to say but you will probably need to purchase your tickets soon if planning the trip in July.

Are you buying tickets from Undercover Tourist? Just wondering why you didn't purchase them as a package through Disney since it is easier to cancel.
I usually buy through UT. I typically do room only and wait on tickets until just before. I guess personal preference in handling things and managing the $ involved.
 

Pooh'sBuddy

Well-Known Member
@HouCuseChickie I totally empathize. Being the planner and deal hunter, I bought tickets through UT last December. Of course, now, I'm kicking myself. I'm hoping we get clear and thorough news very, very soon. From what I've read, if we choose not to go in August or use them by December 15th(ish), I could ask UT for a refund with a 5% penalty or hold the $ credit until we go, tying up the funds like you said. UT's website guarantees a 90 refund or return policy, although I haven't read the fine print.
 

jlag1006

Well-Known Member
That would be a tough call, but if it helps at all, today was our FP day for our late June trip. I have tickets originally purchased for March that we'll use for this trip if we can go (still not feeling good about it). I had next to no luck getting the FPs we wanted for this trip - not a single tier 1 available at HS for the 2 days we would be there to try for ROR (plus only evening times for TSMM), no Mine Train or BTMRR at MK and no FOP at AK (that one's not shocking, I've only managed to snag it once). Hope this helps a little!
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie I totally empathize. Being the planner and deal hunter, I bought tickets through UT last December. Of course, now, I'm kicking myself. I'm hoping we get clear and thorough news very, very soon. From what I've read, if we choose not to go in August or use them by December 15th(ish), I could ask UT for a refund with a 5% penalty or hold the $ credit until we go, tying up the funds like you said. UT's website guarantees a 90 refund or return policy, although I haven't read the fine print.
If we don't go in July, we would probably go in February. Our district decided to be different and start giving the kids a February break, so if it's a complete no-go on Disney's part, I could push things to the winter. I just don't know if I want to part with the $ when there are unknowns. If Disney doesn't happen, but the national parks are able to reopen in some decent capacity, we've discussed Hot Springs and Smokey Mountain...and it would be nice to apply ticket $ to that. If everything is still shuttered or not open to a point that it's worth it, I want to buy a really nice treadmill. 🤣
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
That would be a tough call, but if it helps at all, today was our FP day for our late June trip. I have tickets originally purchased for March that we'll use for this trip if we can go (still not feeling good about it). I had next to no luck getting the FPs we wanted for this trip - not a single tier 1 available at HS for the 2 days we would be there to try for ROR (plus only evening times for TSMM), no Mine Train or BTMRR at MK and no FOP at AK (that one's not shocking, I've only managed to snag it once). Hope this helps a little!
What's really funny is the one that would upset me the most is BTMRR! I'm craving family fave nostalgic stuff and it's on my list of musts for MK time. I have to talk to my husband and see how he feels. This was all supposed to piggy back on a trip for a softball tournament. The tournament hasn't been called off, but the coach has taken us out of it until we have a better idea of what things look like for July. My husband isn't sure if he wants to go to Disney if softball doesn't happen, but we were also supposed to meet my parents at WDW for family time, so I'm not as willing to cancel if the parks are going to be open.
 

MissViv

Well-Known Member
I usually buy through UT. I typically do room only and wait on tickets until just before. I guess personal preference in handling things and managing the $ involved.
I understand. My last trip this past March was with UT tickets. But, if I make a reservation for this Oct. I think I will buy the tickets thru Disney just to be on the safe side if I need to cancel.
 

D1SN3YGAL

New Member
We have a late August trip booked and not a lot of wiggle room with rescheduling until next summer. I also have room-only booked and waiting on buying tickets. UT recently sent an e-mail about a $5 off discount, but it's a big amount of money to spend with a lot of uncertainty about what will be available as far as rides/entertainment. I want to get a little discount on the tix, but I also want to get my money's worth. 🤔
 

Pooh'sBuddy

Well-Known Member
Update: I've asked UT for a refund on our tickets. Since we changed our reservations from June 1 to August 1, UT told me if we change our tickets' dates, we void any possibility to get a refund later. It's too confusing to me, so I'm cutting our losses. UT sent me an email to sign and instructions to mail them back to start the process.
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
We have a late August trip booked and not a lot of wiggle room with rescheduling until next summer. I also have room-only booked and waiting on buying tickets. UT recently sent an e-mail about a $5 off discount, but it's a big amount of money to spend with a lot of uncertainty about what will be available as far as rides/entertainment. I want to get a little discount on the tix, but I also want to get my money's worth. 🤔
Yeah, I don't think $5 is enough incentive for me to make that kind of purchase right now. I understand they are hurting as well and can only offer so much, but it's a lot of $ to sink into something that may need to be rebooked.
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Update: I've asked UT for a refund on our tickets. Since we changed our reservations from June 1 to August 1, UT told me if we change our tickets' dates, we void any possibility to get a refund later. It's too confusing to me, so I'm cutting our losses. UT sent me an email to sign and instructions to mail them back to start the process.
Yeah, I'm sure it gets into a lot of the fine print we all agree to before hitting that commit to buy button. I guess at least they had some option for you shifting it to August. I'm hoping by August, there will be less question as to whether or not things will be open. I thought about August as sort of a bday celebration trip if we had to cancel July, but the kids start school on Aug 11th. The younger one is entering her first year of middle and the older one her first year of high school. It's a big transition even without things being so strange for this current school year. So, I'm afraid of missing out on any activities to help them acclimate. I see us pushing to February if July doesn't look good for Disney and maybe trying to drive to a national park, assuming we can make that work.
 

Pooh'sBuddy

Well-Known Member
Yeah, I'm sure it gets into a lot of the fine print we all agree to before hitting that commit to buy button. I guess at least they had some option for you shifting it to August.
We could have returned the June tickets and bought August tickets, but that seemed to me to be kicking the can.

I thought about August as sort of a bday celebration trip if we had to cancel July, but the kids start school on Aug 11th. The younger one is entering her first year of middle and the older one her first year of high school. It's a big transition even without things being so strange for this current school year. So, I'm afraid of missing out on any activities to help them acclimate. I see us pushing to February if July doesn't look good for Disney and maybe trying to drive to a national park, assuming we can make that work.
I'm sure you'll have a great time either way.

Austin ISD starts August 18th. Our younger son is entering high school, too, and our older will be a junior. In hindsight, August 1-10 might not have been a very good idea since younger's freshman orientation probably will be rescheduled for that time and older will miss his sport's training time.
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Yesterday was our 60 day mark and it came and went without any tickets and fastpasses. We decided to let the kids in on things last night and get their opinions. It was really fun seeing that excitement in their eyes when we revealed the surprise and went over the plans, but we also had to get into all of the things that definitely wouldn't be happening, things that probably will be different, and a few other critical details. In the end, we all agreed to skip Disney in July this year and try for February 2021. What's funny is that this July trip was my husband's idea. Feb 2021 was my original plan.

I canceled everything online, but will be sitting down this weekend to discuss lodging options so we can move forward with February. At least I have a back up plan for summer travel...another non-Disney trip I've had in my back pocket for a while that looks like it's going to still be doable even with everything going on.
 

MissViv

Well-Known Member
Yesterday was our 60 day mark and it came and went without any tickets and fastpasses. We decided to let the kids in on things last night and get their opinions. It was really fun seeing that excitement in their eyes when we revealed the surprise and went over the plans, but we also had to get into all of the things that definitely wouldn't be happening, things that probably will be different, and a few other critical details. In the end, we all agreed to skip Disney in July this year and try for February 2021. What's funny is that this July trip was my husband's idea. Feb 2021 was my original plan.

I canceled everything online, but will be sitting down this weekend to discuss lodging options so we can move forward with February. At least I have a back up plan for summer travel...another non-Disney trip I've had in my back pocket for a while that looks like it's going to still be doable even with everything going on.
Good choice! I think July is too early and will be HOT, HOT, HOT, especially with mask requirements!
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
Good choice! I think July is too early and will be HOT, HOT, HOT, especially with mask requirements!
We live in the Houston area, so we're used to very similar conditions and actually like going in the summer, but wearing masks in it...not so much. It was 92 the other day when I went to the grocery store and I hated having my mask on just going to and from my vehicle.
 

RememberWhen

Well-Known Member
Yesterday was our 60 day mark and it came and went without any tickets and fastpasses. We decided to let the kids in on things last night and get their opinions. It was really fun seeing that excitement in their eyes when we revealed the surprise and went over the plans, but we also had to get into all of the things that definitely wouldn't be happening, things that probably will be different, and a few other critical details. In the end, we all agreed to skip Disney in July this year and try for February 2021. What's funny is that this July trip was my husband's idea. Feb 2021 was my original plan.

I canceled everything online, but will be sitting down this weekend to discuss lodging options so we can move forward with February. At least I have a back up plan for summer travel...another non-Disney trip I've had in my back pocket for a while that looks like it's going to still be doable even with everything going on.
We just canceled (decided to cancel, but haven’t actually pushed the button) on our July trip. We had already decided on a February trip. We’ve done summer before, but not February. Should be fun. Here’s hoping things look a bit more like normal by then.
 

HouCuseChickie

Well-Known Member
Original Poster
We just canceled (decided to cancel, but haven’t actually pushed the button) on our July trip. We had already decided on a February trip. We’ve done summer before, but not February. Should be fun. Here’s hoping things look a bit more like normal by then.
Kind of funny...I've been most months of the year, but never February either. Hopefully, things will be a little more normal by then OR we've at least adjusted more to how it is. I was expecting to see some kind of email confirming my resort cancellations, but just the dining. I've heard refunds are taking long, but I will have to call at some point if I don't see that $ back in my acct. Now to figure out summer plans and see what everyone likes for Feb. lodging.
 
Top Bottom