Wait... was that who I think it was?

ed_66503

Original Poster
You know, I've not watched the show...but I've seen clips. And, I do remember when she went viral online (for the Tiara's show...which I also didn't watch)...

But, the more that's come out about that family...I really can't say anything negative about them. Are they silly? Yeah. Are they redneckish? Yeah. But, somehow I don't see them as the sort who cut lines, scream and yell at the park at inappropriate times, or are generally abusive of their environment (I'll note, their house is cluttered, but it's not filthy)...of course that's conjecture on my part, but it seems fair based on the limited things I've seen and heard from them.

Frankly, as sad as this sounds, I sortof admire that they are able to market their quirkiness and make money off it. Good for them.

What it's not a good reflection of is what we, as a culture, consider entertainment...where thousands of Jerry Springer guests who barely afford to care for themselves and have the decency and sense of a cockroach, sneer and chuckle with self-righteousness at a woman and her family on TV who has been able to turn this into a positive thing (note, she's not stupid, I heard and interview she did where she talked about how she invested the profits from all this exposure...trust funds for the kids, etc...she may not know it herself, but that's fine...she's smart enough to know when to go get help from qualified people, unlike many who blow through their "15 minutes" money and end up right where they started...or worse (hello MC Hammer?)...

I dunno, I feel odd defending them...but I felt I had to toss that out there.
One thing can certainly be said- despite all of their crazy behavior ...they are truly happy and love each other. They never hesitate to help those in need.

Goofyernmost

Careful what you ask about.
HBB-having-a-blast-castle.jpg

The entire Honey Boo Boo clan.
Did you notice that the sun wouldn't even come out to see that?

Marc Gil

Back in 06' I saw Tiger Woods and an entourage passing by the Land Pavilion at Epcot. Also, back in 2000, my dad claimed he saw Whoopi Goldberg with her family near Splash Mountain, although I think he was just trying to grind our gears.

jkl2000

^ Who? "MC Hammer?"... Oh, you mean Hammer. Don't forget - he dropped the "MC!" ;)

I hate when celebrities change their fake names.

Yeah, I think reality shows are a plague on society, but I blame the people who watch them, not the people who make them.

NoWayJose

For the sports fans on board, I once ran into Patrick Ewing, as he was staying on my floor at the Yacht Club in the early 90s when the Knicks were in town to play the Magic. Additionally during that visit, I rode the elevator with Pat Riley. He said he had a rough night ahead playing vs a young Shaq. Seemed to be a pretty nice guy.

jkl2000

Considering I've worked with different actors on different TV shows as an extra and a PA I don't get star struck anymore. I agree with hakunamatata.

I hear you. But I've had the good luck to be introduced to some pretty big names (Woody Allen, Katherine Hepburn, Jack Lemmon, Leonard Bernstein, and a lot more - those are just some of my favorites) and some I've come to know pretty well (not those ones, but other pretty well-known ones), but it's still interesting to see them out and about, just because they're so iconic - it can be a weird juxtaposition.

Once I was riding in a taxi, and as we turned a corner, Lyle Lovett was inches from the window, just looking in. It was like he was part of a WDW dark ride! I couldn't help but notice.

The funniest was just about a year ago - we're walking down the street and a guy rides buy on a bike, totally dorked out in helmet and full riding apparel, giving a hand signal, which you NEVER see bike riders in NYC do. Who was this nerdy bike rider? In a way not too surprising - Will Ferrell!

Ok, one more: about two years ago, we're driving down main street in our town (it's a little like Main Street USA - people drive slowly, so we had a good view) and who passes us and waves as we recognize him and grin like crazy? Biff Henderson, who Letterman fans will know. That was just fun!

The Mighty Tim

A lot of these "celebrities", I've never even heard of. What is a Honey Boo Boo anyway?

EDIT: If we're talking about celebrities (or famous people) we've encountered outside of WDW, then I've seen Stephen Hawking in my hometown (as he lives there too), and I went to University with someone who has since become a TV weather presenter (not going to say who).

The Mighty Tim

We had breakfast at the Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge next to Dennis Rodman, about a year before he got all chummy with Kim Jong Un.

I was a bit embarrassed for Mr. Rodman, as some starstruck fan kept coming back with more and more of his buddies to shake hands and take pictures.

I guess this is why most celebs get VIP guides to help hold back lookee-loos.

That'll teach me to skim read. I thought you said you'd seen Kim Jong-un at WDW!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
You know, I've not watched the show...but I've seen clips. And, I do remember when she went viral online (for the Tiara's show...which I also didn't watch)...

But, the more that's come out about that family...I really can't say anything negative about them. Are they silly? Yeah. Are they redneckish? Yeah. But, somehow I don't see them as the sort who cut lines, scream and yell at the park at inappropriate times, or are generally abusive of their environment (I'll note, their house is cluttered, but it's not filthy)...of course that's conjecture on my part, but it seems fair based on the limited things I've seen and heard from them.

Frankly, as sad as this sounds, I sortof admire that they are able to market their quirkiness and make money off it. Good for them.

What it's not a good reflection of is what we, as a culture, consider entertainment...where thousands of Jerry Springer guests who barely afford to care for themselves and have the decency and sense of a cockroach, sneer and chuckle with self-righteousness at a woman and her family on TV who has been able to turn this into a positive thing (note, she's not stupid, I heard and interview she did where she talked about how she invested the profits from all this exposure...trust funds for the kids, etc...she may not know it herself, but that's fine...she's smart enough to know when to go get help from qualified people, unlike many who blow through their "15 minutes" money and end up right where they started...or worse (hello MC Hammer?)...

I dunno, I feel odd defending them...but I felt I had to toss that out there.

Giggle. While I respect your right to defend June and Honey Boo Boo...I still put them in the ewe category.
And yes June has done a very good job Marketing her young daughter, kudos if that is the goal.

Billy Ray did a very good job marketing Miley Cyrus too, first as Hannah Montana and now, well we all know how she is being marketed now.

It is the law that June must save or invest Boo Boo's money. The family can only take a sliver to cover expenses. Kate of Jon and Kate plus Eight did the same. Agents generally find financial planners on behalf of their clients.

Springer to Judge Judy type shows, episodes are all scripted and are paid for their participation in following the scripts.

Disney Shib

During my college program at WDW I had the pleasure of putting Teddy Bruschi from the NE Patriots on PPF in Fantasyland. He was an awesome guy. Had a little conversation with me when he saw my name tag said Boston.

I also put Tom Cruise & his kid on the carousel. Pretty cool I guess.

NutsForFlorida

We had breakfast at the Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge next to Dennis Rodman, about a year before he got all chummy with Kim Jong Un.

I was a bit embarrassed for Mr. Rodman, as some starstruck fan kept coming back with more and more of his buddies to shake hands and take pictures.

I guess this is why most celebs get VIP guides to help hold back lookee-loos.

I saw Rodman at Magic Kingdom. I wonder if that was the same year????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom