Wait Times Now Offered Via Text Message

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It's only going to be as accurate as the cast members running the attractions allow it to be. If they don't estimate the wait times frequently enough or pass out those cards to guests in line then checking the wait times could be all for nothing. Is it really that hard to get a fastpass, or walk by a wait time board, or ask any cast member what a wait time is for an attraction? All i need now is to be hit by someone checking their phone for texted wait times while pushing a stroller or driving an ECV.

I could see the use if you're in one park, say DHS, and want to know how busy MK is, if it's really busy you may decide to go to another park instead.

Sadiebird

It's only going to be as accurate as the cast members running the attractions allow it to be. If they don't estimate the wait times frequently enough or pass out those cards to guests in line then checking the wait times could be all for nothing. Is it really that hard to get a fastpass, or walk by a wait time board, or ask any cast member what a wait time is for an attraction? All i need now is to be hit by someone checking their phone for texted wait times while pushing a stroller or driving an ECV.

That was the point my DH was making and, in a way, I understand. The last think I think we should be doing is staring at a blackberry or cell phone while we're on vacation. It's a neat technology, but sometimes doing it the old fashioned way is best when you're on vacation. Umm, you know what I mean. :lookaroun

dreamfinder

- server load
- txt messages cost money to send
- if you could receive unlimited messages on accurate wait times, someone would create an application with that information - and not use the Disney/Verizon app....

The cost is negligible at best. All the major cell providers (and probably the smaller ones also) offer a way to send a txt via email. Usually something along the lines of cellphonenumber@mail.cellcompany.com Small variations depending on the provider, but next to nothing. You don't need to pay the 5/10 cents a txt, or even sign up for an unlimited txt's plan. A few thousand more emails a day won't break their ISP considering how many other Disney emails I get a day.

Server load is possible, but most likely its to stifle complaints that only Verizon has the app, while still giving Verizon the edge and a small reason for people to switch providers.

NMBC1993

Glad I got a new phone with unlimited texting yesterday:sohappy: But I'd rather just go to the tip board, seems easier.

As a side note, I just registered twice and both times I replied "yes" to the text and it came back saying I declined taking part of this program...

hrcollectibles

Being one of the few people who would rather call than text. What are the benfits of this over actually going to the attraction time board or the attraction itself to see the wait time...And a walk to the tip board is free no standard rates apply

fosse76

Being one of the few people who would rather call than text. What are the benfits of this over actually going to the attraction time board or the attraction itself to see the wait time...And a walk to the tip board is free no standard rates apply

The benefits are that you don't have to walk all the way to the tip board. 1 text and within seconds you'll have the wait time. If I'm at Splash Mountain and want to know the wait time for Space mountain, it is A LOT easier to send a text then it is to walk half-way through the park to the tip board.

And if you have a text plan, it's covered, so the cost is irrelevant. And if you don't have a text plan, when texting charges are included within your vacation budget then it will be less than $10 anyway. So that's a non-issue.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, in short - it's a time saver.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I can see this being beneficial if I were say in the WS and I was curious about the wait times for Soarin' on my way out for the evening. Or some other examle of being on the wrong side of the park from the wait time board.....

Einselen

I wonder if Disney may be testing this and will have a paid version with more requests per day or even unlimited requests.

Also as other have said if you use Lines! by Touring Plans it is highly accurate as they use so many years of research data. It is free right now, but that is only for a limited time before you have to have a subscription but that is a low yearly cost so even if you use it one trip it will probably pay for itself of course depending on the length of your trip and season of travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom