Wait times in August

100acrekingdom

I was told by a coworker today that it would unlikely my family would be able to ride any rides at all when we go to Disney mid August (11-15) because of how insanely busy it would be. Everything I’ve read says Mid-August is typically slower than the rest of the summer though I know waits will still be long.

I worked there from Aug-Dec in 2013 and didn’t think the lines were that terrible, have things changed that much?

Shouldigo12

I believe that Stars Wars land is opening at the end of August. Maybe your coworker thought it was opening earlier, or thinks that the amount of people planning their vacations so they go before it opens will create a larger than usual crowd around then? Or maybe he's just heard about how crowded summers can be. Summer has a bit of a reputation of being a bad time to go necause of the double whammy of kids being out of school and the weather.

Even if it is very crowded though, all is not lost. ;) Good use of fastpasses and a plan of when to hit what ride can help you ride a decent amount even in the higher crowd levels.

Upvote 0

NessNewt

I was told by a coworker today that it would unlikely my family would be able to ride any rides at all when we go to Disney mid August (11-15) because of how insanely busy it would be. Everything I’ve read says Mid-August is typically slower than the rest of the summer though I know waits will still be long.

I worked there from Aug-Dec in 2013 and didn’t think the lines were that terrible, have things changed that much?

We went August 2017 from the 14th to the 21st and it was completely manageable. We are going back this year for similar dates because we felt it was successful. I know we never waited more than 20 minutes for anything (I mean, there were longer lines, but we used fast passes or rope dropped the rides with longer lines).

Crowd calendars generally switch to lower crowds mid August, and prices drop too which is a good indication crowds will be less.

I believe it is because many states go back to school mid August.

With that said, your dates seem to be on the earlier chunk of "mid" August. But I still think you'll be fine!

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

You should be fine. It's usually more quiet, except know that the week you are going are the first Halloween Parties at the MK and I think Food and Wine starts around that time too. (Last year it was end of Aug, but they keep moving it up like the halloween parties).
It's going to be much quieter than the fall and especially this year with Star Wars.

Have fun! 🐱

Upvote 0

UncleMike101

I was there the last week of August last year and the MK was busy but the other three parks were very manageable.
In fact I was ahead of my agenda each day and was able to get earlier seating at every place that I had an ADR.
There were thunderstorms every afternoon but they cleared out after a couple of hours and the evenings were quite comfortable.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom