Wait list

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Has anyone had their wait list request filled? And is there any benefit to calling and asking about availability versus the online wait list?

Phonedave

There are wait lists and then there are wait lists.

I have had many wait list requests filled. On the other hand, I have also had them not filled. It depends what you are asking for.

Try and wait list Beach Club 3 months before Food and Wine and you can forget about it

Try and wait list Wilderness Lodge at the 7 month window for a trip in mid-June and you have a pretty good shot.

I have never used the online wait list, by availability is availablity and the wait list is the wait list. Once you are on it, well, you wait. There is not much else you can do.

-dave

wiigirl

There are wait lists and then there are wait lists.

-dave

So true! Bug them...bug them a lot. Can't hurt right?
75.gif

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Thanks! This helps a lot.

Follow up question - If I change my wait list request from 31 days to 7 days, do I lose my "place" on the list and start from the bottom again?

cameronmouse

We were wait listed for our upcoming trip in December and received our wait listed room after roughly a month or so. This is our first trip using our DVC so for us so far so good, good luck on your room.

dreamfinder

Calling them won't do much good as they have no more transparency into where you are than checking and saying "Yup, you are on the list". They can't tell if you are first, last, somewhere in the middle, anything really. The only thing that you can do is keep checking online. Some people have reported finding availability online prior to getting their wait list filled. So it would seem like stuff gets released back to the pool instantly, but they only go through and try to fill wait list request as certain times.

Phonedave

Thanks! This helps a lot.

Follow up question - If I change my wait list request from 31 days to 7 days, do I lose my "place" on the list and start from the bottom again?

I am not sure what you mean by this.

Did you ask to be put on a wait list 31 days out and now at the 7 day cut off ask to stay on it? If that is the case, then no, you do not loose your place.

DVC cuts off the wait list at 7 days before your trip unless you ask because they mail out the change notifications and there is a chance you may not get it before you leave and end up at the wrong resort. If you tell them to keep your wait list active, then it will stay active.

However, if you are changing things around, siuch as at 31 days out you wait listed for a 1BR at VWL and then at 7 days you changed it to a 2B, then yes you will now be last on a new wait list (you can also have two wait lists active at once)

-dave

RickEff

We've been very lucky with wait lists, but as Dave rightly points out, it really depends on how long ago you wait listed and for what time of year.

Even at Beach Club at Christmas time, our wait list came through 30 days out. We waitlisted as soon as we cleared the 7 month window. Right. That. Day.

Now that this can be done electronically, it is actually easier to do, and I think the "day" you can do it starts at midnight now, as opposed to when DVC opens. But, I'm not 100% sure about that.

dreamfinder

I am not sure what you mean by this.

Did you ask to be put on a wait list 31 days out and now at the 7 day cut off ask to stay on it? If that is the case, then no, you do not loose your place.

DVC cuts off the wait list at 7 days before your trip unless you ask because they mail out the change notifications and there is a chance you may not get it before you leave and end up at the wrong resort. If you tell them to keep your wait list active, then it will stay active.

However, if you are changing things around, siuch as at 31 days out you wait listed for a 1BR at VWL and then at 7 days you changed it to a 2B, then yes you will now be last on a new wait list (you can also have two wait lists active at once)

-dave

I believe they are asking about changing the "expiration" on the wait list. If I recall correctly you can have a wait list that expires 30 days before your trip, or 7 days before your trip. 30 days works better if you don't have anything else booked, and need time to change your plans. 7 days works better if you have say SSR but want AKL, so you can wait longer to see if you get lucky.

Beyond that though, I have no idea if that changes you spot on the wait list. I wouldn't think it goes since you are just asking them to look longer, but your guide could tell you for certain.

tjkraz

If I recall correctly you can have a wait list that expires 30 days before your trip, or 7 days before your trip. 30 days works better if you don't have anything else booked, and need time to change your plans. 7 days works better if you have say SSR but want AKL, so you can wait longer to see if you get lucky.

If you want to know the justification behind the 7 / 31 days, that's not quite right. It has to do with the "Holding" account rules which impact points coming from a cancellation made on less than 31 days notice.

Assume you have a room booked which costs 200 points. You're also on the waitlist for a cheaper accommodation which only costs 180 points. In that case you probably want the waitlist to expire 31 days out. Reason being, if the waitlist is matched at less than 31 days, those 20 extra points go into what is called "Holding" status and are subject to a new set of booking restrictions. In other words, there's no reason to free-up the 20 points if they are going to end up stuck in that Holding status and end up forfeit.

If the match is made more than 31 days out, the 20 extra points are simply returned to the member's account to be used for another reservation, banked, etc.

Now, if you're waitlisting for a more expensive accommodation, there is probably no harm in having the waitlist run up to 7 days out. It may cause some trip planning headaches if there is a late match (have to change DME, dining reservations may not be as convenient if staying at a different resort, etc.) but at least there is no negative impact on the owner's points.

As to the OP's question, call Member Services and ask if they can change that designation without losing your place in line. Personally I don't know the answer. What I would NOT recommend doing is trying to change it yourself on-line. If you cancel a 31 day waitlist and create an identical one which runs up to 7 days, I can guarantee you will go to the rear of the queue.

BCVTalsJam

Call and have the wait list every day seperatly so that as each day Comes available u can get them. If they do a group of days the whole block of days have to be available to get that group of days. But again if your trying to get beach club or boardwalk for food and wine it might be hard. We made our reservations for beach club villas 11 months out since its our home then we ending up switching it to the week before around February of this year and we had to be put on the wait list. But since they did each day seperately We got all of our days. But that was a 7 months ago and now nothing is available...but it's worth a try. At this point in time I would book anywhere if possible and wait list what u really want. You can monitor your wait list on the website which is nice. Good luck!!

Phonedave

Assume you have a room booked which costs 200 points. You're also on the waitlist for a cheaper accommodation which only costs 180 points. In that case you probably want the waitlist to expire 31 days out. Reason being, if the waitlist is matched at less than 31 days, those 20 extra points go into what is called "Holding" status and are subject to a new set of booking restrictions. In other words, there's no reason to free-up the 20 points if they are going to end up stuck in that Holding status and end up forfeit.

Unless the person really wants to be at the wait listed resort. They might be OK with burning a couple of points to get where they really want to be.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom