VP of EPCOT implying Soarin opened 23 years ago?

Raidermatt

People combine memories. We all do it. It’s not something malicious or a true fabrication. The problem here is with Disney‘s review and approval process not catching a factual error about their own product.
Yes, which is why I said "...or somebody else wrote it and it was not properly confirmed and fact checked."

Raidermatt

Which is exactly what I was countering. It is very much plausible that she did not entirely fabricate the story and was the author.
Only if she is not capable of conveying coherent thoughts. Which I am willing to assume is not the case. But if that's the hill you want to die on, go for it.

Raidermatt

People mix memories. We all do it. It has nothing to do with not being able to convey coherent thoughts.
Any person with supposedly this close of a connection to the park, who has worked there over 20 years, and is now the VP of said park, would immediately catch the error. This is (supposedly) not an infrequent visitor or a casual fan.

There is no way this was written by somebody in that position with that experience. Why that bothers you is beyond me. But the truth is the truth, regardless.

LittleBuford

Any person with supposedly this close of a connection to the park, who has worked there over 20 years, and is now the VP of said park, would immediately catch the error. This is (supposedly) not an infrequent visitor or a casual fan.

There is no way this was written by somebody in that position with that experience. Why that bothers you is beyond me. But the truth is the truth, regardless.
I once took my parents somewhere for what I thought was the first time. This was a place close to my heart and related to my work. They both insisted I’d taken them there before; I countered that this was impossible, as I would surely remember given that I had a connection to the place and they didn’t. They then took out their phones and found a photo of us all in that same spot a few years earlier. I still couldn’t believe it, but I had to, because the proof was staring at me.

The point is our minds can and do play tricks on us, sometimes very surprising ones.

Raidermatt

I once took my parents somewhere for what I thought was the first time. This was a place close to my heart and related to my work. They both insisted I’d taken them there before; I countered that this was impossible, as I would surely remember given that I had a connection to the place and they didn’t. They then took out their phones and found a photo of us all in that same spot a few years earlier. I still couldn’t believe it, but I had to, because the proof was staring at me.

The point is our minds can and do play tricks on us, sometimes very surprising ones.
Big difference between a place related to one's work and one's literal place of work. And this error required not only the mixing of memories 7 years apart, but also a failure to realize a major attraction was not there for another 7 years when you literally worked there the entire time and are now the VP of the entire park.

I really don't get the need to find hoops to jump through to make this make sense. Why is it so hard to accept the far more likely scenario that this VP did not actually write this. Do you think it is uncommon for executives to have others write things for them?

LittleBuford

Big difference between a place related to one's work and one's literal place of work. And this error required not only the mixing of memories 7 years apart, but also a failure to realize a major attraction was not there for another 7 years when you literally worked there the entire time and are now the VP of the entire park.

I really don't get the need to find hoops to jump through to make this make sense. Why is it so hard to accept the far more likely scenario that this VP did not actually write this. Do you think it is uncommon for executives to have others write things for them?
I think she probably provided a draft or some notes to someone who then inaccurately spliced things together, so I tend to agree with you that she wasn’t the author. But I also don’t believe it’s beyond the realm of possibility that she herself made the mistake. It’s interesting to speculate, but not important enough to argue over!

Wendy Pleakley

Easy explanation. They build 'Soarin at Epcot 23 years ago but waited to open it to the public until the time was right, i.e. when it could be marketed for a specific event to drive attendance.

VIPs were able to ride it privately during that time.

Also, I love how she describes attending "the EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival presented by CORKCICLE". This was clearly written by a PR person and then she signed her name to it with barely a glance.

Raidermatt

Easy explanation. They build 'Soarin at Epcot 23 years ago but waited to open it to the public until the time was right, i.e. when it could be marketed for a specific event to drive attendance.

VIPs were able to ride it privately during that time.
I like this, though if Fud Wrapper were still around I'm pretty sure he could debunk that theory, lol...

Also, I love how she describes attending "the EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival presented by CORKCICLE". This was clearly written by a PR person and then she signed her name to it with barely a glance.
Seems pretty clear. I thought everyone understood this is how many "light" public posts/statements are handled when it comes to executives, but I guess not. 🤷‍♂️

Cmdr_Crimson

Seems pretty clear. I thought everyone understood this is how many "light" public posts/statements are handled when it comes to executives, but I guess not. 🤷‍♂️
It's Laundering 101..Say some "Reaaallly" nice to the general public and get them enticed and the payback is worthy.
932f0816d6b99a23d0856c5f8e2e0075ab882ff0r1-400-271_hq.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom