Vivendi Universal is almost Bankrupt!

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Wrong.

Hi pheneix. Quote, "Let's see, in the theme park division, there is still soft attendance due to the soft economy, that in itself is not much a problem. The problem is DCA. Last year was a bad year for the park, but this year is going to catastrophic. They are only getting around 13.000 people a day in the Summer season, and around 7,000 in the slow seasons. Anyone who follows WDW's parks knows that is terrible.

For the networks, ABC is bleeding money, andif they have another bad season with all of the money they have poured into it, they could come to a grinding halt. That could wreck Disney's balance sheets.

Then there are the failing Disney Stores, a potential loss of hundreds of millions in the Pooh case (or even the Pooh license itself), the debt producing studios, and just all around bad things going on in the Disney company. They can't go on like this forever."

I think you have fallen victim to various media accounts. Despite all its many faults, DCA is making money. Also, take advantage of the low attendance now while you can. WDW will be a wonderful visit this September. From my standpoint, I wish that Disney would shutdown Disneyland and DCA but they won't due to their desire to conserve history (i.e. this is the stuff that Walt built). As for ABC, it's making money hand over fist! All the major networks make tons of money. I don't care if ABC is first or last in the network ratings, as long as they make money. "Bleeding money" is a joke. ABC could have 100 bad seasons in a row and still make tons of money. In reality, ABC has been and continues to be a big time money maker.

You have a point with the Disney Stores. There are way too many of these outlets and Disney should shut a bunch more down. However, they're working on it as we speak and they still show a good profit.

pheneix

>>>Despite all its many faults, DCA is making money.<<<

I'm not so sure of that. The only time Disney ever made a press release about the performance of the "new" Disneyland Resort, they stated that profits for the third quarter were up $90 million. Given the substantial increase of costs at DLR, that works out to a very small profit at best, probably only break even.

>>>As for ABC, it's making money hand over fist!<<<

They maybe they can pay off the increasing debt load the network is taking on. And if ABC were still making a tidy profit, why would they push the panic button like they have this year? No ratings = no advertisers.

Oh, did I mention ABC Family?

JLW11Hi

"I wish that Disney would shutdown Disneyland and DCA but they won't due to their desire to conserve history (i.e. this is the stuff that Walt built"

Correction, this is WHERE Walt built! So much has changed at Disneyland since Walt's time (and not to the better, it seems). It still has the potential to be a great vacation destination, if they would just fix some stuff! I don't think anyone would shut down an entire park, Disneyland or Universal. That would be buck wild crazy.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to business stuff, so don't gget mad at me for asking this. How does tv make money? I'm thinking mabey the advertizers?

I do know, however, that Disney stock has been known for being very steady, meaning it wil go up a teeny bit today, then down a little tomorrow, then up again a bit, etc. This is why people are advised not to buy stock from Disney if they want to get anything out of it. however it is a great way for people to invest in it for "sentimental reasons" ( like I do), because although they woun't make any money, they won't loose much, either. What the stock will be like in the future, well, I don't know.

If these changes do happen at Universal/Vivendi, will the manegment change too?

Dawn S

Obsessive, competitive Disney fans have been screaming "doom" for Universal Studios for years. Bottom line is this, whether fanatics want to admit it or not, the Universal parks are thriving. They won't be simply eliminated...NO chance of that. It's ridiculous to even consider that as a realistic possibility. Perhaps they will be sold, but I don't see where that would be a calamity. I am not going to claim to have much of a "business mind" because I know that I don't, but some of this can be looked at using only common sense.

Another common sense point that has been widespread in newspapers worldwide...Disney is suffering as well. Now, before you all freak out on me, let me clarify... Disney will never "suffer" in the traditional sense. To them, suffering is making less than millions in 90 seconds. :lol: By "suffering", I mean that they are not seeing the best #s from either DCA or DLP. This is not opinion...it is fact. I read the AP Wire multiple times in a day & over the course of the last month, I've seen a lot about that in there. No, these parks aren't complete duds. They are getting attendance. They're just not at the levels that they should be. As for Eisner...I must stay safe & plead the 5th as far as my opinions there go. Probably not wise to be too chatty on the opinions of one's "big boss man". :lol:

Bottom line....neither of these parks is going to just disappear. Enough speculation, assumption, doomseekers & rumors already.

SW-FL

Account Suspended
Universal has had a few different owners over the years (Matsua, Seagrams, and Vivendi ) none of whom have ever done anything bad to the parks themselves. Why is that???? Because the parks are something to fall back on, in case of hard times. I feel the same as some of the other posters on this board that Diller will be involved in 1 way or another.

I personally would like to see Sony step in, and they alone (not as in a partnership with other entertainment companies) partner up with the Bronfmans.

IMHO Sony, with their knowledge of entertainment, and loads of money seem to be a natural match for Universal. The avenues to advertise their products are endless.

Tron

Originally posted by SW-FL
I personally would like to see Sony step in, and they alone (not as in a partnership with other entertainment companies) partner up with the Bronfmans.

IMHO Sony, with their knowledge of entertainment, and loads of money seem to be a natural match for Universal. The avenues to advertise their products are endless.

That's actually not an entirely bad idea...especially given how well Sony-related properties (Spider-Man, Men In Black) have turned out so far.

pheneix

>>>IMHO Sony, with their knowledge of entertainment, and loads of money seem to be a natural match for Universal.<<<

Not only that, but they could also scoop up Universal Interactive (now the 2nd largest publisher of games in the world) and all of the licenses that they have could be made exclusive to the PS2. It would be a win/win situation for Sony, no matter how you look at it.

SW-FL

Account Suspended
Sony may become 1/2 owners, was 1 of the rumors going around back when I worked for Universal a couple yrs. ago, before Vivendi bought out Seagram's partial ownership. Since then I've always hoped something would happen down the line between Sony and Universal, now more than ever due to Sony's success in movies, video games, music, and of course all of their numerous consumer electronics.

As Tron said, things look even better now with the smash hit movies in the last couple of months. While this is more of a minor thing, Universal already has a Crash Bandicoot costumed character at USF.

Just think of it Sony, Universal, Barry Diller, Tommy Matola, Steven Spielberg (as a creative consultant) and perhaps his 2 partners from SKG/DreamWorks (Katzenberg, and Geffin),working in (1 way or another) together, and we are talking MAJOR POWER players here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom